For Parents Switching Gyms

GYMNASTICS
Parents... Coaches... Judges... Gymnasts...
DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members See FEWER Ads!
Join for FREE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2022
Hi! I am a counselor. Any kind of therapy and help is great for anyone. I don't think therapy is ever a bad idea, sports or otherwise. Children learning coping mechanisms early in life can only benefit the child. I think it's great.
Thank you for the input!

It was mentioned earlier in the thread by a child psychologist that if a child needed a SP to partake in the sport, maybe this wasn't the sport for them.

So while I had previously been so confident in that decision, I suddenly fell into the "typical mom mind-trap." Well, we don't need a SP to participate in the sport, we are just establishing a relationship. However, we are only establishing a relationship because we anticipate the need in a couple of years. Round and round I went, second guessing everything that had initially just seemed logical and natural-lol.

She has had a therapist previously(a "meltdown therapist"-he literally specialized in teaching coping techniques for autism meltdowns), helped her tons, 18mos and her coping skills were 1000x better(plus she was back in the gym-which is her happy place)!! I remember it taking a few sessions before she was truly comfortable and opening up, so the idea of establishing a relationship prior to any issues presenting themselves seemed very smart-and like maybe I could be ahead of the game for once.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!!

We will be getting the SP after the holidays as planned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.