Parents Switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The crying happens at our gym too. Not so often that it is a concern. And, there are some girls that are 'cryers' the coaches know who they are. The parents who watch know who they are - and usually the parent of the cryer knows this too.

At our gym the crying mainly seems to come when the gymnast is frustrated about a skill, not from the coaches yelling at them.

I agree with gymmomntc2e6....I don't see much crying at our gym...but when I do...it's usually the gymnast own frustration with a skill.... not from being yelled at. When a gymnast is asked to leave practice for a "time out"...it's b/c the coach realizes that the gymnast is so frustrated... nothing productive is being accomplished by continuing at that point. Sometimes a "break" to "clear the the mind & free the body" is the best thing to do....it's not looked upon as punishment. Guess it's all in how it is presented to the girls that's the "issue" here. My dd has used these "time outs" to visualize & recharge...then returns to practice "with a new attitude..." as the song goes.LOL:)

You do understand that kids cry periodically at workout...at every gym...all over the world, right?

As a parent, this is not a comment that I would want to hear. I would expect an explanation as to why my daughter was crying and then a solution. If it is an isolated thing...no big deal. However, if my daughter is crying often, I'd be looking for answers and solutions.

Last edited:
This thread has taken an interesting turn!

We have a couple of "criers" at our gym. I would venture to say that they cry almost every day. I see it so often, I never give it a second thought. I think it's always frustration, and that's how they deal with it.

If I were to see my child crying at gym, I would be concerned--but when you see these other two, you just think "there they go again."

I think that without knowing the child, it's hard to judge the crying.

My daughter is a "crier" at home but never, ever at the gym. If I saw her crying at practice, I would immediately think she was hurt. I've never seen her cry in frustration or anything at the gym (home- yes, gym- no). Further, it would take someone being really nasty to make her cry with just words. Tears at the gym would be a major red flag to me knowing my daughter.

my dd lately has been crying from frustration as she is trying to do higher level skills...I think this is because she is tired. She is getting used to the time change...and going to bed late.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back