switching my roundoff side?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I ran cross country my senior year of high school and I was also still dancing, and probably since I was going back and forth between tightening and then stretching my muscles every day, I managed to pull both hip flexors (not at the same time). The right one was worse and still gives me trouble almost 3 years later. It is fine most of the time but cartwheels and roundoffs really aggravate it because I'm a righty for everything in gymnastics. I can't seem to improve my roundoff at all because my hip always starts hurting after only a few tries at a roundoff.

I can do a pretty decent cartwheel on the left side and I can also do a semi decent handstand on that side. So I guess my question is, how hard would it be for me to switch my roundoff direction and learn in on the left side instead? Obviously, since I'm an adult gymnast, I'm not really concerned about how it would affect twisting direction or anything else. At this point I really just need a roundoff that's functional enough to allow me to do a ROBHS eventually.

Also, has anyone had experience with chronic hip flexor issues and is it at all possible to completely fix this problem? It got plenty of rest after cross country season was over but the problem always comes back, so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: I am definitely planning on seeing a doctor and checking on PT for this at some point, but since it isn't a problem except during certain gymnastics skills, I've been putting it off a bit :p

I think for me it would be diffucult to switch to be a lefty but people learn at different speeds so I don't know how hard it would really be for you. I guess to try to switch your roundoff make sure you can do a pretty good cartwheel. Make sure you kick right over your head and finish facing the opposite wall before moving on to roundoffs. Then try to almost 're-teach' yourself a roundoff. As I say to my guys in mini gym start like a cartwheel and put your feet together in the air. After you can get the feeling of this just work on doing it faster and faster, then start adding rebounds to your roundoffs. Make sure you are doing your round off right over your head instead of around the side or else you will have issues connecting a backhandspring and going straight. The kicking around the side is what I think I would do wrong doing opposite cartwheels/roundoffs. Sorry if you already knew this stuff but since I don't really know your gymnastics background that's what I got.

Good luck and I hope your hip flexors feel better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back