Parents Taking care of rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto2js

Proud Parent
State meet is next weekend and after 4 years of Gymnastics, DS is the proud owner of a monster hole in his hand. The blister has torn way mostly, but the skin is still hanging on. It about the size of a quarter. My question is, to cut the dangling skin off or leave it alone? I have duoderm to put on it but what to do with the extra skin?

Cut it off! While it is dangling in can catch and rip the skin further. Then you want to aim to dry it out, holding a used tea bag in his hands can help.

From there leave it uncovered so that it can dry out. But you are going to need to tape it for training and the competition.

Yep trim it up! I recently bought something called Gymnast Salve on amazon, I was skeptical at first but I have to say it's helped my dd a lot! If she gets a rip, it's usually mostly healed by the next day after wrapping it with the salve on it overnight. And if she's had a tough week on bars, it seems to even/smooth out the callouses without removing them before she has a chance to rip.

If you heard screaming in the wind from the east, that was my kid as I was attempting to wrestle him to the ground so I could cut the dangling skin from his hand. I bought some duoderm and it seems to be the least irritating thing at the moment. If it will stay put for a couple of days he should be good to go. Why oh why does he have to be so stinking dramatic?

Cut it off. We do antibiotic ointment with guaze cover at night the first couple of nights. Then air. Large bandaid with built in antibiotic for school and general running around. After it heals, pumice in shower. Hand cream.

If one starts to fester, use tape grips. Although my kid had a rip this week even with tape grips (although not as bad as if the she wasn't using the tape grips).

Rips happen. They just do.

Tea bags and Preparation H is DD's new favorite! We got the tip on here a few weeks ago. She said it was the quickest healing rip ever. Good luck to your DS!

Tea bags and Preparation H is DD's new favorite! We got the tip on here a few weeks ago. She said it was the quickest healing rip ever. Good luck to your DS!

Us too! When DD was younger (oh, at least a FULL YEAR ago), it bothered her that the tea bag turned her hand brown. So she wouldn't do it. One year of maturity, and realizing there are more important things out there, she doesn't care about the brown - and proceeded to stand with a teabag on her hand every night while eating dinner leading up to a meet. And PrepH at night (last year, it was "ewwww, that's for bums!") and she went from having a horrendous rip on a Wednesday to having no pain competing on Saturday.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Oh - and at night - I bought white cotton gloves (in the pharmacy section), big and loose, and cut the fingers off - she puts these on at night. Covers the prepH, but also lets it have some air.

Another question. My dd has a rip coming, you can see the blister forming deep under her skin. What can we do to make it go away? She's not practicing tonight because we are traveling to a meet for tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

We had luck warding off an impending rip with the preparation H and Tea tree oil for the week before a meet. She had a big bubbly blister show up on Monday before a meet and the combo seemed to really shrink it down fast. She did end up ripping late in the week but it was much smaller than the original blister was and she said it didn't really hurt at all - seemed much less deep than others! She was able to compete on it without trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back