WAG Talk to me about mesh in competition leos....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mignonone

Proud Parent
Hi,
I am going to be taking over the leo business at our gym where I will be doing the ordering/helping design our competition leos. Most of the girls/parents love the look of mesh, as do I, but I want to know the whole truth about it. Does it snag? Is it easy to wash? Is it comfortable for the gymnast? Talk to me so I can make a good decision when it comes time to designing our leo for next year. Thanks in advance! :)

Last year our comp leo had mesh sleeves. We had no issues with snags. I did carefully hand wash the leo and also air dried it. The only thing DD did not care for was that the sleeves were full length and on her they were a bit too long. I was worried she might get a sleeve caught on floor tumbling or a beam series but it was fine. Everyone liked the leo but for some girls the mesh sleeves had a more baggy fit. Good luck!

We haven't had any problems with snags on our mesh leotards, however the sleeves are a little short for most girls and the fabric doesn't really stretch. Like the post above the sleeves are baggy for me and some girls have really tight sleeves as the fabric doesn't really stretch like the other material.

In our experience:

Yes, it snags.
No, it’s not easy to wash (because it snags.)
Comfort - there’s a trade off. The mesh is scratchy, but it is stretchy and breathes. Some feel they can move better in the mesh and that they don’t get as hot in it.

Last year our comp leo had mesh sleeves. We had no issues with snags. I did carefully hand wash the leo and also air dried it. The only thing DD did not care for was that the sleeves were full length and on her they were a bit too long. I was worried she might get a sleeve caught on floor tumbling or a beam series but it was fine. Everyone liked the leo but for some girls the mesh sleeves had a more baggy fit. Good luck!
Thanks. I think one of the reasons we have never done mesh had to do with complaints of seeing others have baginess on the sleeves. Also, our first ever custom leo was the one we ordered 2 years ago-on my DD on the left of my profile pic. We had previously always ordered off the GK "in stock" but I really want to do my research so the girls are happy and comfortable as well as the parents happy about quality and fit.

I think your answers will vary depending on whether their experience is with mesh sleeves with NO lining v. Mesh sleeves WITH lining. I personally think mesh with lining is not itchy BUT the trade off for that is that the lining makes it snug and less stretch. Must be very careful in taking Leo off and on. Remember to put arm in the sleeves like you would a pair of pantyhose (roll it up the arm) and take off same way or risk popping rhinestones off. If a girl yanks the Leo on like you can Lycra then they risk tearing it

DD's leo has mesh. The mesh is actually a second layer over the regular leo material. Brand GK. It makes for tight not baggie sleeves. @flippin out has it spot on.

Attachments

• Leo.jpg
    Leo.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
We have a GK (custom) comp leo with mesh 3/4 length sleeves. They are fully lined (which I believe is an extra expense, but probably worth it). No complaints regarding comfort (the flesh colored lining is against the skin, not the mesh -- and GK offers several "flesh" colors to choose from). My DD is in her second season with this leo and has had no snags. I wash it in the washing machine, inside-out and in a pillow case, on gentle. Air dry. No problems. On some of the skinnier girls there is a little bag in the sleeves, but probably no more than a regular long sleeve leo.

DD's leo has mesh. The mesh is actually a second layer over the regular leo material. Brand GK. It makes for tight not baggie sleeves. @flippin out has it spot on.
Interesting! In the pic, it is hard to see the mesh. We use GK leos as well. In fact, the style in your pic is one of my top contenders for the style at this time.

My dd has a custom GK with 3/4 mesh sleeves and we've had no issues or complaints. I wash her leo inside out on the handwash cycle with no problems. I'm sure that might freak some out but it's worked fine for us for all of her leos including comp ones. I used to wash all by hand and with 3 kids doing gymnastics then it was crazy time-consuming.

My dd has a custom GK with 3/4 mesh sleeves and we've had no issues or complaints. I wash her leo inside out on the handwash cycle with no problems. I'm sure that might freak some out but it's worked fine for us for all of her leos including comp ones. I used to wash all by hand and with 3 kids doing gymnastics then it was crazy time-consuming.
I also wash leos inside out on the "delicate cycle" as my washer doesn't have a hand wash cycle. I have 2 competitive gymnasts. No time for hand washing here. LOL.

@mignonone everything that appears gold is gold leo material covered by black mesh, so two layers. It is a beautiful but not my favorite colors. I hand wash and air dry. DD keeps her eye on the gems to be sure none fall off.

We have Ozone with mesh sleeves this year. In the pic you can see the difference in fit between my dd (baggy sleeves) vs. her teammate (not at all baggy). I would say that mesh sleeves are not very forgiving. I like the look but I wish dd's fit a bit better.

Attachments

• leo.jpg
    leo.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 154
We have Ozone with mesh sleeves this year. In the pic you can see the difference in fit between my dd (baggy sleeves) vs. her teammate (not at all baggy). I would say that mesh sleeves are not very forgiving. I like the look but I wish dd's fit a bit better.
Thank you for that comparison pic! That is really helpful. I want to take into account all body types when choosing.

I wonder if this is partly a matter or proper fitting. ie your dd could probably have gottens a size smaller leo.

I wonder if this is partly a matter or proper fitting. ie your dd could probably have gottens a size smaller leo.

Based on how the rest of her leo fits, I agree she could have gone a size smaller. But at least this way we should get 2 years out of it!

Reactions: sce
Just saw the photo posted by @Flyaway -- The GK mesh sleeves on my DD's leotard are nowhere near that baggy, even on the skinniest arms! Attaching a photo so you can see GK mesh arms on a leo sized a little too big (but, hey, I'm getting a second year out of it right now). A little baggy but not terrible, and most of the extra fabric disappears when she stretches her arms up.

Attachments

• 4BM_2123.jpg
    4BM_2123.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 118
Just saw the photo posted by @Flyaway -- The GK mesh sleeves on my DD's leotard are nowhere near that baggy, even on the skinniest arms! Attaching a photo so you can see GK mesh arms on a leo sized a little too big (but, hey, I'm getting a second year out of it right now). A little baggy but not terrible, and most of the extra fabric disappears when she stretches her arms up.
Thanks! I know most parents like to get 2 years if possible (including myself). My girls are so slow growing that it hasn't been a problem, but many of the older girls have had to order a larger leo the second year of use. That being said, my oldest DD had a CL for hers (that still has room to grow her 2nd year of it) and I ordered a CM for DD2 when she moved to optionals this season. It is so small in comparison to DD1's CL leo. Serious size discrepancy between the two. My youngest was asking "why do I have a baby size leo?" o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back