WAG Talk to me about mesh in competition leos....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dad hated the mesh sleeves in her old Leo. They were unlined. They were itchy, but the biggest problem was not ENOUGH stretch for her and many of her teammates, 15+ and super buff.

My dd hates leos with mesh and doesn’t even try them on. Our competition leos have never had mesh in all the years with the gym so far.

Mesh sleeves are uncomfy and don't stretch well. And it is hard to get the fit right on different shaped gymnasts. They look great when they fit right though.

There are two ways to look at it: The discomfort is distracting from a meet OR they are so nervous they don't notice the discomfort after a while.

My dd did not like the mesh sleeves on her competition leo either. It was a gk long sleeve leo and the mesh was unlined. It didn't have much stretch in it. She didn't have any holes or snags but one of her teammate's leo ripped at the seam on the sleeve at our first competition.

That leo was also the most expensive one that we've bought. It was almost $100 more than the other 3 that we bought so far.

Dd has mesh sleeves and maybe some mesh on the body of her comp leo. The mesh is lined. She is very picky about itchy and uncomfortable fabrics but hasn’t complained about the mesh. This is the second season with this leo and no snags or other rips. She’s not particularly careful either. I agree that the mesh is not as stretchable but it isn’t something I’ve noticed as being too loose on anyone.

DD's comp leo has (unlined) mesh sleeves. It's lovely but she says the mesh is itchy as heck. Also her teammate got a tear in the armpit the very first competition.

My kid thinks the mesh s*cks. She has very sensitive skin, and after she takes the leo off it looks like she has chicken pox from the rhinestones aggravating her skin. So we are in the we hate mesh club over here. I personally have no idea how she competes without losing her focus over it, because i know it drives her crazy. :(

We have them this year - both GK and AF - our AF leotards we have had for 3 years now and some of the girls handed them down - no issues with snags/rips/ etc.

The sleeves can be a little baggy (it doesn’t seem to bother the girls, and it isn’t enough to look bad.

I do know that the girls like the mesh (our sleeves are NOT lined) because you can’t see armpit sweat with the mesh.

No issues with the mesh being scratchy BUT on one of our leotards the sleeves have rhinestones and the rhinestones are scratchy through the mesh (no snags with this either).

My kid thinks the mesh s*cks. She has very sensitive skin, and after she takes the leo off it looks like she has chicken pox from the rhinestones aggravating her skin. So we are in the we hate mesh club over here. I personally have no idea how she competes without losing her focus over it, because i know it drives her crazy. :(
That's what I am worried about. DD1 has some sensory issues with fabrics as do some other teammates....

That's what I am worried about. DD1 has some sensory issues with fabrics as do some other teammates....
We have several team girls with sensory issues with fabrics too. And we have girls with extra broad shoulders.
One on the broad shouldered ones got a leo with 3/4 length unlined mesh sleeves and some mesh overlay on the part of the bodice for Christmas (Grandparents suprise gift... they got her size from Mom, who figured they were going to get her a tank leotard).
It was the right size, but the mesh was REALLY tight. She wore it to practice the first day back. On her first BHS, the armpits BOTH ripped. Luckily, it wasnt a comp leotard... and she was able to just have the mesh sleeves removed and wear it as a tank leo. The rest of the mesh is fine so far.

DD has unlined mesh sleeves and she loves it! The mesh is super soft with some stretch. She's never had regular long sleeves so we can't compare but she's been happy with how it fits/feels and I've been happy with how it has held up. Thumbs up from me on the mesh!

Sounds just like my dd although thankfully she has never had a mesh leotard for competition just got bought one by a grandparent as a gift wore it for one practice and has never touched it again since.

We haven't had mesh sleeves yet, but aesthetically as a spectator, I think mesh looks horrid unless fitted perfectly. Just my taste, as to me, mesh is supposed to mimic a 'nude' quality to the arms, and if they are baggy or wrinkly at all, or ill-suited to the gymnast's skin tone (if lined), I think it just looks silly as it doesn't achieve the intended effect. Or worse, gives the arms a wrinkly old lady (like me! lol) effect.

When fitted well, though, I do think they look quite lovely.

Unfortunately, I think the trend is now being overused. My personal taste points only :)

We haven't had mesh sleeves yet, but aesthetically as a spectator, I think mesh looks horrid unless fitted perfectly. Just my taste, as to me, mesh is supposed to mimic a 'nude' quality to the arms, and if they are baggy or wrinkly at all, or ill-suited to the gymnast's skin tone (if lined), I think it just looks silly as it doesn't achieve the intended effect. Or worse, gives the arms a wrinkly old lady (like me! lol) effect.

When fitted well, though, I do think they look quite lovely.

Unfortunately, I think the trend is now being overused. My personal taste points only :)
Skin tone is definitely something to consider. We regularly compete against a team that had very elaborate leos with nude mesh a few years ago (all down the sleeves and very deep cut ins down the front and back. They looked very risqué on the girls with the matching skin tone and a little silly on those girls who did not. So if you do go with mesh, get a color other than nude.

My dd modeled at the GK booth at congress a couple summer ago . She tried on a lot of leotards that weekend. I think their mesh is stretchier and softer than other companies. She really liked the ones with mesh sleeves, she said that they were so much more comfortable than how tight the mystique sleeves are. I think you have to size it right though or the mesh will be baggy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back