Off Topic Talk to me like I came from prehistoric times about video game systems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are you looking for something to do while staying at home during the pandemic

We just got the Switch last Christmas... I haven't used it much... we only have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the NES games on it. We are downloading Super Smash Bros Ultimate right now because you can play 2 player with only 1 console. I'm going to download Zelda: Breath of the Wild for myself it think too.

I used to be really into games... not sure I want to go that direction again... but I wouldn't mind having something besides a Nintendo. I stopped gaming before Xbox was out. My friends and I had...
  • NES
  • Sega Genesis
  • Neo-Geo
  • SNES
  • Sega Saturn
  • PlayStation
  • Nintendo 64
  • And PC's too
Once PlayStation came out back in the day... it destroyed everything else. I guess I'm just wondering what better.

If you already have a switch, there's plenty to be explored on that. Breath of the Wild is phenomenal. Mario Kart has local multiplayer and is loads of fun. If you liked oldschool japanese RPGs (SNES-era Final Fantasy games), Octopath Traveler is excellent. I believe Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I haven't played, but I hear it's amazing) is getting a switch port.

That said, I just looked it up and apparently PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games, so it might be worth waiting (since you'll still be able to use it for PS4 games)

Ok I have hit a snag. I really liked the sound of a Switch, but my boys like to play call of duty, and that is not a nintendo game. I questioned the oldest casually (I am hoping to make this work as a surprise group bday gift given at younger son bday later this month) and apparently "no one" he knows has a switch, which is kind of the kiss of death. I was afraid of this.

While I would like to have the option to get little kid friendly games for daughter, this whole idea is mostly for my sons, one will be 14 this month and the other is turning 17 this summer. While I certainly want to encourage the boys to play racing games and sports games what have you, the reality is they are most interested in shooting/war games, and mostly I want to get them out of thier rooms and doing stuff together. Just as I let them watch certain movies and TV shows my daughter cannot watch, I am ok with them playing games I would not want my daughter playing/seeing as long as she is not around.

I have not written the Switch off yet, and if there are games *like* call of duty that are nintendo I would be interested to hear about those. But if Switch is off the table, what would you suggest?

This is the reason I originally suggested the XBox because teenage boys (at least those my son is friends with), enjoy games like Call of Duty more than the typical Nintendo games. The younger one could also at least play Minecraft or a few other games on the XBox as well.

If not a switch, PS4 would probably be my next choice (I've never been much of an X Box guy). I believe CoD is available on both consoles, and I THINK (though I'm not positive) that X Box One X players and PS4 players can play together online.

However, most of the big multiplayer titles are available on both.

There definitely are kid-friendly games on all consoles, but you might have to look a bit harder to find them.

My main reason for learning towards PS4 over Xbox is that I've always been a "games-as-art" hippie, and PS4 has a number of exclusives that are really well-done and narrative-focused.

Between X Box and PS4, which is best for living room 2 or more player set up with TV would you say? Also should we just get newest available set up or...?

Thanks again. I really appreciate this help from everyone.

Neither is better than the other as far as that goes. They really are very similar, but when I asked my 16 year-old son, he said PS4 was better.

My 20 year old would agree. PS4...

We actually have both, but no one plays the Xbox anymore. They both have Switches too, and play those more than anything else. And we have Wii and a Wii U, mutiple game boys, Many DS consoles....and I am not even sure waht else anymore

...and we're all playing Super Sash Bros. Ultimate now. Huge hit for our family.

It's like... oh... now we have "Little Mac"... and then we go back and check out the original Punch Out! on NES Online. Super cool.

Can't go wrong with Smash Bros or Mario Kart.

(I'm quite fond of watching Smash tournaments as well)

I bought Zelda: BotW last night... again super cool... and also super cool that I can take the Switch to bed with me and play. Here's what I noticed though... the actual Switch with the Joy Cons connected to the side of it is a terrible design. Hard to hold onto and play.

Ok I have hit a snag. I really liked the sound of a Switch, but my boys like to play call of duty, and that is not a nintendo game. I questioned the oldest casually (I am hoping to make this work as a surprise group bday gift given at younger son bday later this month) and apparently "no one" he knows has a switch, which is kind of the kiss of death. I was afraid of this.

While I would like to have the option to get little kid friendly games for daughter, this whole idea is mostly for my sons, one will be 14 this month and the other is turning 17 this summer. While I certainly want to encourage the boys to play racing games and sports games what have you, the reality is they are most interested in shooting/war games, and mostly I want to get them out of thier rooms and doing stuff together. Just as I let them watch certain movies and TV shows my daughter cannot watch, I am ok with them playing games I would not want my daughter playing/seeing as long as she is not around.

I have not written the Switch off yet, and if there are games *like* call of duty that are nintendo I would be interested to hear about those. But if Switch is off the table, what would you suggest?

My son is 14. He and all of his friends have an Xbox One. He uses a headset to talk with them while playing together. He also plays Call of Duty but loves the car racing games. Your 7 year old will be able to play Minecraft on it which most kids that age love. There are other games like Madden and FIFA, basket ball ones and plenty of other choices. Be warned, you may never see your teenage boys again! ;)

We have had multiple gaming systems over the years, as our son is now 26. He is in IT and over 7 years ago, left gaming system. He still games, online and he built his own computer to support his gaming in the elct resources he requires.

The 14 year old has a Switch.

It can be played solo or multiplayer. Very portable but can use the TV for large screen display. Can use as a closed system or play games online. Costs vary.

Wii U has Lego games, Minecraft, and Kerbal Space Program. Plus many other child friendly games. It's also the only platform with real local multiplayer games, which means your kids could play games with friends in person and not require a monthly subscription.

DS15 really wants a Switch but we cannot seem to find a new one for sale at MSRP. Out of stock everywhere.

Yikes! 44 and the only platform I've ever owned has been an NES. Now, we've got esports. C'mon, you e-Sounders!! Win that eMLS Cup!

Also, one of the nice things about esports is that they can still be held during a pandemic.

Hard to have online soccer tournaments....

SPEAKING OF ESPORTS

If anybody plays -- or even used to play and has fond memories of -- Smash Bros Melee (the gamecube one), a new netplay build just got released and boy is it a doozy. Smash Bros Melee now has the best remote play code of any smash bros (and as far as I know, any fighting game period), and the online play is integrated into the game. There's a bit of technical setup required and you'd need a gamecube controller and USB adapter (both of which can be found online at a reasonable price) to do it properly, but if this interests you then check out slippi.gg. And feel free to message me if you want to play some Melee.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back