WAG Talking during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coaches would try to enforce this... I don't see how it's possible, and I don't see why you wouldn't want your team to socialize with each other.
Just don't talk while I'm explaining to the group, and don't talk to teammates that are
1.Taking their turn
2.Next up for their turn

Otherwise I want them to have fun and ask questions, too.

Context is important, are we talking compulsory 6-8 yo or elite/L10 practice? Elite/L10 practice is about being productive and efficient with your sets. As most high-level coaches in any sport would tell you, if you want to be successful you have to learn to practice well. People need to be focused and locked into what they are trying to do. I would not want a lot of idle chatter. As opposed to compulsory where I could see a little more latitude in idle chatter, still wouldn't want social hour going on though.

Half of the fun of gymnastics is being there with your teammates and having silly conversations. If practice was no-talk I would have a hard time bringing myself there daily. Provided, of course, that these conversations aren't interfering with work time and focus it should be perfectly fine to talk.

As a coach I don't take problem because I want my gymnasts to enjoy practice, and bond with their teammates. There are a few situations I have issues with though, such as sitting down and talking without working or keeping your teammate from taking turns by talking as their about to go. I also know it can cause coach resentment if coaches keep nagging students about talking. If my gymnasts have great work ethic and are taking a reasonable amount of turns, talking is a-okay and I won't mention it. From experience I know talking can help lift the mood, release tension between turns, and make practice fun so I am perfectly fine with it.

Of course gymnasts should talk during practice!

Gymnast should be quiet and listen during instructions, be mentally preparing when they are "up next," and be focused when they are actually on the equipment taking turns. Other than that, of course they should chat with each other (and with their coaches).

I can’t imagine not being able to talk during practice. I agree as long as they listen to the coaches and are respectful when the coaches are talking and not distracting their teammates when they are actively doing a a skill or routine the gymnasts should be allowed to talk during practice as much as they want. My daughter would honestly quit if she wasn’t allowed to chat with her teammates.

Depends if the gym is for humans or robots?

How do humans go that many hours without talking!

Obviously they aren’t allowed to talk when being given instructions or feedback, when about to go for a skill or mid skill! And if the talking is really slowing them down it’s an issue.

But other than that the gym is full of chatter. And that creates a great environment. They constantly cheer for each other when they do well or get a new skill, praise each other and give each other feedback too.

Pre teens and teens thrive on social interaction. So I try to build it into training. Lots of partner work. If doing things like casts, leaps a team mate partners and they tell each other the angle etc.

My daughter would be miserable if she was forced to be quiet throughout practice! She loves her team as much as she loves gymnastics. Yes, paying attention and listening to coach instructions is expected but idle chatter while waiting for a turn or other brief moments of down time is totally fine at our gym. In fact, when I stay at practice on occasion it always cheers me up -- everyone is so HAPPY. Girls with their friends, doing what they love, cheering each other on during new skills or routines...it's all part of the experience for our kid.

Context is important, are we talking compulsory 6-8 yo or elite/L10 practice? Elite/L10 practice is about being productive and efficient with your sets. As most high-level coaches in any sport would tell you, if you want to be successful you have to learn to practice well. People need to be focused and locked into what they are trying to do. I would not want a lot of idle chatter. As opposed to compulsory where I could see a little more latitude in idle chatter, still wouldn't want social hour going on though.

Definitely depends on the gym. We aren't at an elite gym so maybe that's the difference, but my daughter's level 10 group is definitely not quiet. They still focus and practice hard, but they are there for 5 hours at a time and they like to chat and joke around and have fun. If it wasn't still fun for her, she would have quit a while ago I think. But again, she's not at an elite gym (and obviously not doing anywhere close to elite level skills) so maybe that's the difference.

What are your thoughts about talking during practice? I know most coaches don't really like talking during practice, so what do you think?

Our athletes talk quite a bit during practice. There are definitely times when it is hard to talk as we are moving quick and they don't have time... but they are allowed to talk.

I think that gymnast should be able to talk during practice unless
1. A coach is explaining a new skill/skill you don't have
2. If your talking to the person about to have there turn/having there turn
3. If you are up next or having your turn
4.You should be focusing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back