WAG Tank tops to practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sq131219

Gymnast
I've realised that many college gymnastics team stop wearing leos at practice and wear tank tops instead. Just wondering, why the change? And does it affect coaching at all, e.g. coach's fingers getting caught in the fabric?

I've realised that many college gymnastics team stop wearing leos at practice and wear tank tops instead. Just wondering, why the change? And does it affect coaching at all, e.g. coach's fingers getting caught in the fabric?
A lot of our upper optionals wear the tank instead of leos to practice. I just assumed it was more comfortable.

I’ve never understood why gymnast have to practice ( and compete) in leotards. Spandex tank tops and sports bras with bike shorts or leggings are just as functional. I realize that it’s traditional but it’s simply not necessary.

In Australia everyone trains in crop tops (what you guys call sports bras). And bike pants.

I prefer leotards and encourage the kids to wear leotards either on their own or with bike pants. But once the kids hit a certain age they all want to wear crop tops.

I just find the leotards are a but more modest and body covering. Leotards also offer protection to their stomach doing skills on bars and trampoline. The kids area easier to spot in leotards too as they absorb the sweat and are less slippery than sweaty skin.

A tight fitting tank top over the sports bra ( crop top) would cover the midriff. I have more of an issue with the tradition of female athletes being expected to show their entire leg and thigh. The guys wear short. The underwear type fit of leotards is not necessary to see “ the line”.

I don’t let them wear tight fitting tanks over their crop tops. I have just found it opens up a minefield. If I allow tight fitting tanks, next day some kid wears a fairly tight fitting tank, then the next day a sort of rightish tank, then a loose tank, then a t shirt and so on.

So I have three options for our kids
1. a leotard
2. a leotard with bike pants (I believe called Booty shirts in the US)
3. A crop top with bike pants

They are always allowed to wear the bike pants, most of the younger kids choose not to wear them, most of the older kids choose to wear them.

With a broad shouldered gymnast that is currently struggling to find a single leotard that fits her shape, I'd be all in favour of tight sports tops to train in. Shorts and crop tops are not allowed here - probably for a variety of reasons, but I certainly wouldn't want to spot slippery sweaty skin.

Because they are all adults at this point and should be able to dictate what makes them comfortable to practice in. I cannot understand the reasoning why gymnasts cannot just practice in whatever makes them comfortable. I, however do understand the no crop top rule, as tight fitting tanks and Leo’s offer more protection to the gymnast and also the coaches don’t have to spot slippery, sweaty skin.
The same can be said for gyms who don’t allow their girls to wear spandex shorts when practicing. You wouldn’t believe the amount of kids that transfer to our gym from other local gyms with the biggest reason for transfer being that they weren’t allowed to wear shorts at practice. This usually happens around age 12ish when girls start to be able to voice their preference and play an active role in what they feel comfortable in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back