Parents Tap Swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gympoppop

Proud Parent
I was watching a video on tap swings from one of my favorite Youtube coaches and was surprised to see that he recommends quite a significant arch when transitioning from the forward hollow position to the back hollow position. I can see how it would help gain height on the backswing, but is this correct form and would there be any deductions? See the video below at the 40 second mark.

Thanks!

This is exactly how we teach tap swings.

Thanks! That’s interesting. I only ever notice a tap in the forward swing when I’m watching meets but I really like the look of this swing better because it’s more symmetric. Doing a second tap under the bar seems to allow the gymnast to obtain a better height and hollow position during the counter swing. I mostly notice a lot of piking in the backswing at meets and I wonder if that is due in part to not doing the second tap.

I taught my compulsories to hollow swing on the way back because I thought it was a deduction to arch, now I'm re-teaching them as 6/7's to arch on the way back because they can't swing high enough to pass the low bar on a tap swing ;_;

In fact I think in compulsory it's a deduction to NOT arch on the way back.

I taught my compulsories to hollow swing on the way back because I thought it was a deduction to arch, now I'm re-teaching them as 6/7's to arch on the way back because they can't swing high enough to pass the low bar on a tap swing ;_;

In fact I think in compulsory it's a deduction to NOT arch on the way back.
Yes, I thought it might be a deduction too in compulsories based on this:

“Body arching or hips opening to an extended position with the feet over low bar during counterswing”

But that must be referring to arching farther back in the counter swing and not under the bar. That’s interesting you need to re-teach them how to do it. Thank you both, this was very helpful in my continued education.

I was wondering why I hardly ever see coaches use drills to show the gymnasts how to space their feet perfectly relative to the low bar on the giant down swing. It must be because if you teach the tap swing right, they're practicing the perfect spacing on every set of tap swings.

I was wondering why I hardly ever see coaches use drills to show the gymnasts how to space their feet perfectly relative to the low bar on the giant down swing. It must be because if you teach the tap swing right, they're practicing the perfect spacing on every set of tap swings.

Are you talking straddle or just where their feet go in relation to the low bar whether they are apart or together?

The latter

We've never really had any issues with that. Any issues we just address with the individual. We typically have them learn to swing higher than the low bar so they are used to driving their feet past it... or they are little when they learn giants and figure it out easily as they grow.

We also teach everyone to straddle tap so they have that option too.

We have flexed feet on a lot of our giants, even short gymnasts on wide settings. I talk to them about it and they tell me they're afraid of hitting the bar (even if they have tons of clearance)

So... We're spending a lot of time on tap swings now. Adding in the counter swing to get the whole team above low bar height, gymnasts eyes on the low bar on the back swing and just getting comfy with the low bar existing back there lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back