WAG Tattoo? Wisdom teeth?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Questions for any adult gymnasts here- how long were you out of the gym after getting a tattoo and how long after wisdom teeth removal? We are trying to figure out the best timing for both for my DD. The tattoo will be on her hip, if that matters.

Thanks!

Wisdom teeth can depend on difficulty of extraction- are they impacted? Either way- a week tops I’d say ( having worked 15 years on a third molar clinical trial). And conditioning can likely resume in 3-4 days.

Bars will be hard on that hip tattoo for longer than other activities. I’d probably ask the artist. Im
Sure they know what movement, friction and sweating can do to it during healing and guide you on that.

Not a tattoo, but my daughter had a surgery where bone was harvested from her hip and had a large suture line over her hipbone. She was able to get back in the gym in two weeks, including bars. Assuming her tattoo heals up in a normal course, I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than the two weeks she had.

My kids just had their wisdom teeth out last week. Today is day 4 and they are eager to get back to conditioning, but they aren't ready. Their faces are still pretty swollen and they still have a good bit of pain (they did an injected pain thing that covered things for the first 2-3 days, so last night and today have been the most painful so far). The oral surgeon said that for full practices they need to wait the full 14 days. (All 4 teeth for both kids were impacted, so they have incisions for all of them. But the roots hadn't formed yet, so the teeth were smaller than they would be had they been left in for a few more years.)

We have a girl on our team with a tattoo, but it is on her ankle. She didn't need to take any time off, but I can see a hip needing some recovery time.
I would suggest getting the tattoo the day before the teeth and heal from both at the same time ;)

I do trampoline (so high friction) and got a tattoo on my upper back (hits every time you do a back drop) 4 days before a competition.
It was fine, but I would suggest wearing clothes to practice that cover the new tattoo until it isn't tender. And hitting new tattoos on things does smart a bit. Especially rolling on gym carpet.

Recovery totally depends on how difficult the extraction is. D had 4 1/2 wisdom teeth out on 6/8. Yes, you read that right. She had an upper, impacted mega-tooth. Surgeon said x-ray showed a possible 5th tooth. The first question she asked him out of surgery was how many he took out. He said it wasn't quite a 5th tooth, and called it 4 1/2. She went back to gym the following Monday to do light conditioning but it was a full 10 days before she could do bars or tumble without pain. Once the stitches came out, the healing was rapid.

When I got my tattoos I went back to training later that day.

For wisdom teeth I was out a bit longer -- I don't remember exactly

I still have all my wisdom teeth (extra wise!) but I feel like the protocol for all the kids I've coached who had wisdom teeth extraction or other oral surgery has been: Conditioning (right-side up) and stretching after a few days, when no longer taking pain meds. Nothing upside down or with force until the sutures are healed (usually about 10 days).

I still have all my wisdom teeth (extra wise!) but I feel like the protocol for all the kids I've coached who had wisdom teeth extraction or other oral surgery has been: Conditioning (right-side up) and stretching after a few days, when no longer taking pain meds. Nothing upside down or with force until the sutures are healed (usually about 10 days).
Extra wise! Hahaha!!! :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back