Parents Team assignments for upcoming season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jm_gymmom

Proud Parent
Hello! I’ve been lurking and learning for some time, but this is my first post :)

My daughter is 6 and this year has been in an invite only elite class for her age level. She’s had a good year, got her standing backhandspring (though it still needs work), and has been very motivated to work hard hoping to get selected for pre-team (level 3) for the upcoming season. Her coach is aware this is her goal and I’ve also spoke with the administrative office person about her desires and was told that she was in the type of class they pull gymnasts for team from and those selections are made after the team season once they know who is returning, moving up, etc. There’s no formal tryout. We were told to select certain rec classes in a higher age bracket for summer at sign up and they could change her schedule later if she goes onto pre-team. Well, now coronavirus has happened, the team’s season ended abruptly and strangely, and we’ve been out of gym 6 weeks. I haven’t heard from them other than getting an email stating tuition was on hold and they fully intend to reopen when it’s safe.

Are gyms selecting their teams now in order to be ready when they reopen? Or should I expect that these plans are completely on hold? Would I be overbearing gym mom if I email to remind them of my daughter’s interest and check the status on things? This is all new to me and I’m hoping some of the experienced parents can help me with what I should maybe expect or do at this point. Thanks!

I wish I had some answers for you. This is such an uncertain time, and no clue or end in sight for when most of our kiddos will be returning to gym.

I know our gym is making no plans at all beyond trying to reopen when tehy are told it is safe, and putting proper precautions in place. I don't think you could go wrong emailing now, or waiting until they have some sort of plan in place for reopening. I think personally, I would wait, but I know how hard the uncertainty is right now.

GOod luck, and welcome to CB!

As this was so unexpected it’s quite probable that your gym did not even begin doing assessments and in class trials to decide on team placements. And now they really don’t have the option to do so, so they are going to have to wait for the gyms to reopen to make any decisions.

You could email them and ask if there is a list of conditioning or work she should/could be doing at home to help her reach her goal.

But most likely you will have to wait for them to open their doors to see what they are going to do.

As this was so unexpected it’s quite probable that your gym did not even begin doing assessments and in class trials to decide on team placements. And now they really don’t have the option to do so, so they are going to have to wait for the gyms to reopen to make any decisions.

You could email them and ask if there is a list of conditioning or work she should/could be doing at home to help her reach her goal.

But most likely you will have to wait for them to open their doors to see what they are going to do.
That’s a great idea. She’s been doing some practicing and strength conditioning but maybe we could be doing more/better. I’m going to do this tomorrow.

It should help in two ways.

First of all it is a way of letting the gym know you are interested in taking these steps. Gyms are not just looking for talent, they are also looking for drive.

Secondly it will allow your practise to become more specific to the areas they will be looking for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back