Parents Tearing up during practice and favoritism

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This situation does not seem good for her mental health. Talk to the owner. Ask the owner to watch practice. If things don’t change before the end of the season, tell your daughter that her mental health is more important than any one sport. As a parent tell her to try a few different sports this summer and make a final decision before you commit to team for the next season.
We will try until march, if she still does not like it we will do another sport.
Another question, what other sports will be good for gymnasts after they quit?

It’s late Jan. When my kid is in obvious emotional distress my first response is “let’s give it a couple more month.”

As the mom of a gymnast who was on the verge of quitting last year, the dynamic can change when a few people are shifted around, she is much happier this year. But my daughter loves gymnastics so much she was willing to put up with nearly anything to keep going, I'm not sure where your kiddo is at. As far as conditioning goes, I would speak to her in terms of "well, you will be that much stronger than everyone else", rather than supporting the thought that it isn't fair. I know that DD has complained that others have skipped conditioning or drills and I let her know that she will get the benefit of extra reps and doesn't need to concern herself with what the others do. If she wants to try new things that is a good thing. As far as which sport would suit a former gymnast? Every sport - gymnasts tend to pick up nearly any other sport more quickly than you would think. She will have an advantage in any sport that requires jumping in particular. Best wishes, I hope your daughter finds happiness regardless of the decision to stay or go!

UPDATE:
DD's coach was being really harsh today (homeschool...) I took her home around 35 minutes ago and she quit :( It was expected. My older DD is devastated that she quit because she would be able to train together.
She is trying volleyball and diving

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling in gymnastics. Encourage your daughter to talk to her coach about her concerns and how she feels. If she does not feel comfortable speaking directly with her coach, consider reaching out to the gym owner or program director for support. If it doesn't help, find a new gym.

PDATE:
DD's coach was being really harsh today (homeschool...) I took her home around 35 minutes ago and she quit :( It was expected. My older DD is devastated that she quit because she would be able to train together.
This whole situation is very sad. I wish your daughter the best of luck with diving and volleyball. A lot of girls from our gym that have retired are now divers and really loving it!

UPDATE:
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that they were so awful to her. It is such a bad feeling to watch your child leave when the love of the sport was only lost because of being bullied by her coaches.

That said, my older DD quit gym at age 11, level 8 and also moved over to volleyball and diving. She LOVES both sports and honestly has no regrets. It is so fun to see her excel at different things and to realize that it is just really not the end of the world to leave gym!

My younger DD is in the same position as your older one - she is still at the same gym and is now an optional. She was pretty upset when my older one left because she was working her butt off to get to optionals so they could train at the same time. But, a year and a half later, and she is doing just fine and it's actually nice (albeit tough for scheduling with regards to practices and meets/games!) to have them in their own things. I think it strengthened their already strong relationship.

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that they were so awful to her. It is such a bad feeling to watch your child leave when the love of the sport was only lost because of being bullied by her coaches.

That said, my older DD quit gym at age 11, level 8 and also moved over to volleyball and diving. She LOVES both sports and honestly has no regrets. It is so fun to see her excel at different things and to realize that it is just really not the end of the world to leave gym!

My younger DD is in the same position as your older one - she is still at the same gym and is now an optional. She was pretty upset when my older one left because she was working her butt off to get to optionals so they could train at the same time. But, a year and a half later, and she is doing just fine and it's actually nice (albeit tough for scheduling with regards to practices and meets/games!) to have them in their own things. I think it strengthened their already strong relationship.
I know all they want is to train together! BC of the age difference

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling in gymnastics. Encourage your daughter to talk to her coach about her concerns and how she feels. If she does not feel comfortable speaking directly with her coach, consider reaching out to the gym owner or program director for support. If it doesn't help, find a new gym.
If an adult can't regulate their emotions and communicate effectively with a child without yelling and causing upset, the last thing a parent should do is encourage the child to speak with said coach especially in this situation where the child is only 8.

I hope @e-bear's daughter enjoys and loves her new activities

Thanks!! She is loving volleyball... playing for her school
If an adult can't regulate their emotions and communicate effectively with a child without yelling and causing upset, the last thing a parent should do is encourage the child to speak with said coach especially in this situation where the child is only 8.

I hope @e-bear's daughter enjoys and loves her new activities

Any chance you can schedule a meeting with the owner to discuss the issues with the coach? Is that the only coach there? I feel like making a rash decision to quit because of this coach will make her resentful and she might have regrets leaving the sport later. I was devastated as a kid when my parents pulled me out due to financial reasons and always wondered how far I could’ve gone with it and wished quitting was on my own time. By level 6 I imagine she’s put a lot of time and effort into the sport as well as your family. On the other hand she’s young so she definitely has time to go back or switch to xcel if possible to change coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back