Tell me everything you know about competing trampoline and tumbling!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I am thinking of competing trampoline, double mini and power tumbling. I am in the US and I am an adult if that matters. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I do realize I need to talk to my coach but I want some ideas off here first. How many competitions do you normally do per year? What are the average fees either per comp or yearly? Do you have to stay at one level for a full year before you can move up? Any additional information would be great as well!

Thank you,
Aerialriver

At some of the meets, I know they merely test levels. Not really competition. I think they compete January to June about half a dozen meets.

I can answer some of your questions based on my experience with USTA. Not sure if your gym competes USTA or USAG, so some of the rules might be slightly different. The top age group is 17 and over.

Our team usually competes about ten meets per season, plus Nationals if you qualify. Meet fees are $38 if you compete all three events. Trampoline and double-mini competitions are on Saturday and tumbling is on Sunday.

You are not required to compete every level starting from the beginner level. If you can do the skills for a higher level and your coach agrees, that is the level you compete. You don't have to "score out" of a level to compete the next level. My daughter went from the first level to the top level in five years and qualified elite on floor this year at age 12.

It's an awesome sport:)

I'm not an expert, but the gym I coach at has a good USAG tumbling team so I've been trying to learn as much as I can.
This past season I think the team competed in about 3-4 meets as well as States, Regionals, and Nationals (if they qualified). Up through states all of the meets were in state, I'm not sure if other gyms do travel meets like in artistic.
Meet fees are based on the number of events you enter I think, like $25 for the first event and $5-$15 for each additional one. That's just an example as I'm sure the prices vary based on where you are and how big the meet is.
USAG does have mobility scores, but I imagine you can move up within the season.

Region 6 USAG

My kids are Region 6 and we are governed by USAG.

Mobility/Eligibility are usually done a couple of times per competitive season. A coach can also petition to the judges before the meet if they feel their gymnast is ready to mobilize. The judges will then judge the event on that merit and taking into consideration the coach's imput.

Meet fees vary by state and our Region does NOT charge a gate fee, artistic does. T/T is much more laid back and unstructured. If you are used to Artistic, it may seem like it's a 3-ringed circus.

There is no age max in our region, I think that goes all over as well. We have one judge who is in his 60's and still competes tramp.

All of our gymnasts qualified for Regionals and 3 for Nationals. My 2 did not attend Nationals, too far to travel.

One element of Tramp that isn't talked about very often is Synchro Tramp. Two gymnasts, same level, do a routine together. When it's done right, it's breath-taking to watch. Both of mine do, with different partners and when they do, the whole gym stops to watch, coaches included! Our teams have taken 1st place at each competition, including states and regionals and will receive banners at our gym for their accompliment.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions. :)

I agree about syncro trampoline, it is awesome to watch. This is my daughters second year competing syncro and we are headed to AAU Jr Olympics shortly as she competes syncro this afternoon! Last year they got the gold, so hoping they do the same today. Tomorrow is double-mini and trampoline, Thursday is tumbling.

I compete USTA tumbling and trampoline. I've been competing now for about seven years.
It is ALOT cheaper then gymnastics.
My gym averages about one meet a month, our competition season is from November-July.
In April/May you compete at USTA State meet. If you place top ten you can advance to Nationals in June. You also can compete at AAU State and if you compete you automatically advance to Junior Olympics which is in July/ beginning of August. This year USTA Nationals is Springfield Illinois, and AAU Junior Olympics is in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Meet fees are really cheap, about 35-45 dollars, depending on the meet. and you don't have to compete the same level on all three events. you don't have to stay the same level all year round either. The only thing is, is that the level you compete at state is the level you have to compete at nationals. any questions just message me!

TNT4life- Is anyone from your gym trying out for USTA National team this year? Team trials will be held in Feb and March 2010.

Jamarie as a matter of fact yes, i am tryin out for team trials!
our teams hostin the first team trials in louisville!!!
is anyone from your gym?

We only have one trying out from our gym and it's my DD13! She qualified elite on floor for nationals, and hopefully will qualify on all three before team trials.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back