MAG Temple men's team cut

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Its a horrible situation. I hope the petition and fundraising efforts are successful. GS congratulations to your DD. A D1 scholarship is a HUGE accomplishment ( as you well know).

It is too bad that USAG doesn't/can't require a $5.00/gymnast charge for any sanctioned boys meet held to create an endowment to support NCAA teams. I am sure they don't want the hassle and but it would be nice if they could offer scholarhships out of it to National Event/AA winning seniors each year or just divide it evenly across teams since NCAA produces a number of Olympic and International competitors.

We also have attended the MIGS meet for the last few years, though this year because of scheduling we are unable to attend.

I won't mind having a fee to help like kchamp suggested.

I think that Temple could accomplish a lot if they dropped down from D1 football to a lower division. They would lose those scholarships, freeing up money for other sports, but they would still be able to offer football and probably be more competitive. They are not a BCS bowl bound team and now all of the other sports are suffering. I have signed the petition, as has my dd. She will be attending Temple next yr on a gymnastics scholarship (womens). I really would like to see the men's team continue. I do not know any of the men, other than seeing them while she was on her OV, but the men's and women's team are like one huge family. They are now ripping this family apart.

My husband is a big college football fan and a Temple alumn, and he just said to me that they never should have gone to D1 football. Everyone else is suffering. They play at the Linc., they did terrible this year, people don't even want to go to the games.

USAG already collects a $1 per gymnast/meet head tax that goes into a scholarship fund. It is my understanding that a sizable donation from the fund went to help Cal-Berkeley last year. USAG also hosts the D2 "Collegiate National Championships" amongst other things that help prop-up the men's collegiate program. Now that is not to say that more can't be done, but USAG (men) is very aware of the issue and is trying to adapt and help. Where to go from here? Should Collegiate gymnastics de-link from NCAA and go it alone? That will probably create even more funding issues. USAG can help, but they can't underwrite the entire NCAA program as it sits now. I don't know the answer, but if we don't start thinking and planning soon, we might not have a D1 program for much longer.

If people want to help, I heard within the last 24 hours (from their head coach) that the best thing to do right now is to email members of the Temple Board of Trustees. Explain why cutting mens gymnastics is a bad idea, etc and keep their inboxes full. I hope that he will follow up by providing their actual names email addresses. They do not have permission to fundraise and they were told that money would not help, but later on fundraising may be an option.

If people want to help, I heard within the last 24 hours (from their head coach) that the best thing to do right now is to email members of the Temple Board of Trustees. Explain why cutting mens gymnastics is a bad idea, etc and keep their inboxes full. I hope that he will follow up by providing their actual names email addresses. They do not have permission to fundraise and they were told that money would not help, but later on fundraising may be an option.

It's actually snail mail letters, not email. See the new thread on how to help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back