WAG Testing for Compulsory Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I'm planning on testing to become a judge either in late fall or early spring....possibly.

I'm just wondering any advice on studying for the test? Several people mentioned they made flash cards, what specifically did you make the flash cards for?

How did you go about studying? You need to know the routines in general of which levels? 3, 4 and 5? Do you need to know 1 and 2? How do they go about level 6?
I've just been reading the stuff over and over and over.
Are there any websites that could be helpful?

Really anything at this point. How long did you spend studying before you tested? Do you think you could've used more or less time.

Is there anything that you really DIDN'T need to know for the test?

Thanks in advance!

You're tested over L4 and 5. 6 is not a compulsory level.

Know the order of the skills, the value of the skills, and all general/specific/CJ deductions. Know whether a deduction is a flat deduction or up to. (Of course, you should know the routines, too.) The test tends to ask what the maximum deduction would be for 2-3 mistakes.

I studied for about 2 hours before I tested, but I attended one of the compulsory clinics and already knew the order and values of the skills. (Also, I've tested in 3 different compulsory cycles, so it's really just a matter of memorizing what has changed.) For a new judge, 2 hours of studying probably would not be sufficient.

Like gymkat said, you need to study the L 4 and 5 routines on each event and know all of the general, event specific, and chief judge deductions. When I was studying for my compulsory test, I made flashcards for deductions with the error listed on the front (i.e. bent knees) and the deduction (up to 0.30 written on the back). I made sure to indicate if it was an up-to or a flat deduction or a chief judge deduction. I made one deck of flashcards for general deductions, and then separate (color-coded) decks for each events.

The other thing I did was write down all the major skills and their respective values for each routine in order. I would test myself by covering my "answer key" with a blank piece of paper nd saying the major skill and element value before sliding my blank paper down. This way I could test that i knew all the skills in order, as well as their values.

Good luck!

Thank you both for the wonderful replies!! It's so helpful getting others input!!

So from what you are saying you are only tested on levels 4 and 5?
But after you pass you can judge levels 1-3 correct? Do you just use the same general deductions and such?

Yes, same general deductions along with the element-specific deductions.

You might not judge a lot of L1/2, though-- my state does not compete L1, and only a few teams compete L2.

Try going to the NAWGJ and the NAWGJ Washington website. Tons of practice tests and advice. Also try Quizlet both mobile and on the net. Flashcards is an app that is also helpful.

Do people judge as coaches? Or do you not coach teams or coach at meets? I don't know how it would work out between Saturday practices and meet weekends.

I only coach rec and the rec team at our gym which doesn't compete USAG. I also don't typically go to their meets as I am not one of the head coaches.
So I should be good time wise!

Many judges are also coaches. Different states do assigning differently, but generally you turn in your availability either electronically or on paper. I know coaches who have Saturday practices so they say they can judge Sundays only, I know coaches who have Sunday practices, so they say they can judge Saturdays only. I am not a head coach, but I go to some meets with my team, so I ask my boss which weekends she wants me to coach and I indicate that I cannot judge those weekends.

You are allowed to judge your own gymnasts, but you must be the "2nd" judge. Still, most states seem to try to avoid that as much as possible (though it usually can't be avoided all together). The head judge of any event can not be affiliated with any teams at that meet.

Try going to the NAWGJ and the NAWGJ Washington website. Tons of practice tests and advice. Also try Quizlet both mobile and on the net. Flashcards is an app that is also helpful.

This was my personal sequence over the span of a few weeks for the compulsory test: (1) analyze a practice test; (2) carefully write/rewrite each "general" deduction; (3) watch L5 FX video numerous times while writing each element symbol and its value in sequence; (4) rewrite each specific deduction for L5 FX; (5) repeat 3 and 4 for L4 FX, L5 Beam, L4 beam, L5 UB, L4 UB, then vault--I recently found a helpful YouTube video for Vault judging/analysis. Finally, I drilled the flash cards with each general deduction, each specific deduction, and each element value.

Be sure to note the difference between a deduction that is required (without judicial discretion ("Flat")) versus a deduction that permits any range from zero "up to" some amount (e.g., small, medium, or large).

I also like having the large notebook...but check the errata. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back