Parents Texas Dreams vs Metroplex

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sticks

Proud Parent
Hi, my DD is a level 9 gymnasts and we are thinking to move gyms that have a better chance at a scholarship. Our gym is nice we like it but there are not ant elite and our level 10's scores are not pretty impressive.
I'm lining towards Texas Dreams but I been reading awful stories about how the girls get treated. Any gym moms from either gym that would like to put my mind at easy? Thanks

I don’t know anyone at Texas Dream only Metroplex, the girls at Metroplex seem very very happy and they do extremely well. I’ve also heard rumors of numerous injures to the high level TD kids.

Hopefully someone can answer your questions about those two gyms. I just wanted to add that history of a gym don't always make/break your chances of a scholarship. If your child is scoring well in L9 and you think the coaches can get her to L10 skills/routines and she can score well, that is what is important. You will need to do more of the owrk yourselves in getting her name out there but there are lots of girls in that position that obtain scholarships. If she is not scoring well in L8/9 then chances are the top tier gyms either won't take her or will bring her down a level to clean up her skills. Of course, age makes a difference too.

I don’t know anyone at Texas Dream only Metroplex, the girls at Metroplex seem very very happy and they do extremely well. I’ve also heard rumors of numerous injures to the high level TD kids.
Yes I heard that too that's why I'm a little hesitant

Hopefully someone can answer your questions about those two gyms. I just wanted to add that history of a gym don't always make/break your chances of a scholarship. If your child is scoring well in L9 and you think the coaches can get her to L10 skills/routines and she can score well, that is what is important. You will need to do more of the owrk yourselves in getting her name out there but there are lots of girls in that position that obtain scholarships. If she is not scoring well in L8/9 then chances are the top tier gyms either won't take her or will bring her down a level to clean up her skills. Of course, age makes a difference too.
Right I know that, It's just that the coaches that are doing the level 10's are not very experienced and the girls are loosing interest. Now half of the girls want to quit and its a chain reaction

I know nothing about those gyms other than the home for some elite gymnasts. Since you asked, I will offer my comments from a more generic perspective. I have been in a similar situation where my DD was in a small gym she loved but not a long track history of scholarships. We ended up moving gyms 2 hours away, but it was more because of the old gym ownership and the coach leaving than desire to go to a bigger established gym. Just a couple words of caution/things to consider. First, if anything that I have learned over the years that my DD has been involved and seeing the gymnasts that preceded her, getting a college scholarship is EXTREMELY rare and difficult. There are soooo many things that have to line up even if your DD is super talented (grades, an open scholarship spot, school she/he is actually interested in, injury etc.). Second, just because a gym has a track record of scholarships does not mean your DD will respond to that environment. It is not a factory process, as I am sure you know, all our DDs are unique individual people, some like disciplined structure, others loose supportive. So before you make a move, I would make sure you have long conversations with the potential coaching staff about their training, be upfront about DDs goals and how they might help reach them, include DD if age appropriate. Take in a couple of practices. Third and most important, what does your DD want? If she is happy in her current gym, progressing well, having fun, then why move her? In today's environment, one of the few positives of social media is the ability of college coaches to see recruits that might not be at such high profile gyms. Just some things to consider. Best of luck!

I know nothing about those gyms other than the home for some elite gymnasts. Since you asked, I will offer my comments from a more generic perspective. I have been in a similar situation where my DD was in a small gym she loved but not a long track history of scholarships. We ended up moving gyms 2 hours away, but it was more because of the old gym ownership and the coach leaving than desire to go to a bigger established gym. Just a couple words of caution/things to consider. First, if anything that I have learned over the years that my DD has been involved and seeing the gymnasts that preceded her, getting a college scholarship is EXTREMELY rare and difficult. There are soooo many things that have to line up even if your DD is super talented (grades, an open scholarship spot, school she/he is actually interested in, injury etc.). Second, just because a gym has a track record of scholarships does not mean your DD will respond to that environment. It is not a factory process, as I am sure you know, all our DDs are unique individual people, some like disciplined structure, others loose supportive. So before you make a move, I would make sure you have long conversations with the potential coaching staff about their training, be upfront about DDs goals and how they might help reach them, include DD if age appropriate. Take in a couple of practices. Third and most important, what does your DD want? If she is happy in her current gym, progressing well, having fun, then why move her? In today's environment, one of the few positives of social media is the ability of college coaches to see recruits that might not be at such high profile gyms. Just some things to consider. Best of luck!
Thank you, yes I agree with everything you have said. We love the gym, the coaches and teammates, but even my DD is saying that she and other level 9's and 10's feel like there is no progression, like they are stuck learning the same thing because we don't have experience coaches for level 10.
She really wants to do college gymnastics and it will be a shame if after all this years she can't get there because of the gym she is at, I know injuries can happened and other factors, but if all that is in check and the reason she can't do college gymnastics is because the gym was not experienced it will be very sad. I just want to give her the tools and if it is not meant to be than that's ok, but not because we didn't choose the correct gym.

How old is your DD? Is your gym program new? Have there been any major coaching changes recently? Going from a small gym to a huge program could present several issues.

How old is your DD? Is your gym program new? Have there been any major coaching changes recently? Going from a small gym to a huge program could present several issues.
She is 12, optionals bar and vault coach is no longer there, and the owner doesn't seem to want to hire a new one. Our gym is very well establish, many years in business.

She is 12, optionals bar and vault coach is no longer there, and the owner doesn't seem to want to hire a new one. Our gym is very well establish, many years in business.
That's hard. Without an optionals bars and vault coach I agree that it would be tough to progress at the L9/10 levels and could certainly be an issue if your daughter has potential goals beyond that. Ugh. No insight on teams in your area, but good luck to you all in making a decision!

That's hard. Without an optionals bars and vault coach I agree that it would be tough to progress at the L9/10 levels and could certainly be an issue if your daughter has potential goals beyond that. Ugh. No insight on teams in your area, but good luck to you all in making a decision!
Thank you

At both gyms, it matters which training group your daughter is accepted into. Her schedule and the coaches they select for her would help you decide between the two.

Agree with LemonLime. It won’t all be up to you but what group they place her in, so be prepared for that. We have friends who trained at both, TD is a bit harsher re placement and the elite group is not for the faint of heart. Both do very well with college placement at all the top schools. Metroplex is having a banner year with their college frosh: Chae Campbell, Jaylene Gilstrap and older alums are team leaders like Kyana George. TD has their notable college failures due to injury but Reagan Campbell is doing well and there were others too like Mincy Hall and Kennedy Baker.

TD also does not have an elite group in the same way as in the past. Chris retired and Emma/Sydney train separately from the groups. Kim coaches them along with Nori, Alicia and Marcus. Two younger ones tested elite compulsories recently, but they do not primarily train with Kim.

TD also does not have an elite group in the same way as in the past. Chris retired and Emma/Sydney train separately from the groups. Kim coaches them along with Nori, Alicia and Marcus. Two younger ones tested elite compulsories recently, but they do not primarily train with Kim.
She is not interested in Elite, I just want her to get good knowledgeable coaching.

Right, but you should compare - at both gyms - the coaches who coached the athletes with scholarships to the coaches offered to your gymnast.
I totally agree with LemonLime and it will depend what practice group your daughter is placed into. My daughter trains at TD but is not on the "Dream Team". She still has great coaches and while they can be tough (like any coach training high level athletes), she has never experienced anything that crossed the line. She's very happy there.

I totally agree with LemonLime and it will depend what practice group your daughter is placed into. My daughter trains at TD but is not on the "Dream Team". She still has great coaches and while they can be tough (like any coach training high level athletes), she has never experienced anything that crossed the line. She's very happy there.
Thank you, do you think that mid day group vs afternoon group at TD makes a difference on coaching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back