WAG Texas Dreams vs WOGA and Metroplex

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just noticed that Metroplex did not do tops this year.

I think a lot of people didn't this year. Someone told me they reckoned 75 % of those testing will make national testing because the numbers are so small. Don't know if that is true or not.

I think most growing gym programs are ever-changing, and Metroplex is no different. When Marnie and Gina went to Metroplex several years ago, they basically began their own brand new program. As the team has grown, much has changed. Recently, they've seemed to move closer to a TD type model. There has been a pretty good turn over in coaches recently, and Marnie and Gina are no longer very involved with the evening 10's. I think they have their own little "dream team" now too. There are compulsories all the way up to elite level gymnasts in the day program now. I've heard of several other similarities as well.
I understand the owner and HC's at Metroplex don't care for Tops, but allowed it in the past at the request of other coaches.

Wow...the thread that keeps on going ;)

... I think Randy Morris will be the first non DT10 gymnast to compete NCAA on a full ride. She just verballed to Bowling Green.

When Marnie and Gina were JO head coaches and before there was a DT10, Dreams sent Llomincia Hall (LSU), Rachel Spicer (UF), Jordan Moore (Bama) and Liz Green (UF) to the NCAA. Liz and Jordan were former elites.

Scuttlebutt is that Randy is the first athlete from TD to draw a scholarship offer who was NOT developed by Marnie and Gina or coached by Kim & Chris. Telling, however, is the coaching changes she went thru the last three years there.

Rachel Spicer followed Marnie and Gina from TD to Metroplex.

Unfortunately for us, quite a few upper level girls have left because of how unhappy they were with the coaches who often berated them. Several more have contemplated about leaving, again, because of the coaching style. Departure happens everywhere, but I feel like it occurs much more frequent in our gym. It is why I want to find out the general dynamic of the upper level coaches, whether they provide the positive atmosphere or not. Any thoughts or comments?

You will find this in just about every gym, though a few gyms seem to be very much against negative reinforcement. Depending on the age of your athlete, one of the best sources for ferreting this out is actually observing coaches during meets where one of these gyms is competing, or kids gossiping at school (tough for younger kids, but it's amazing what I hear my kid bring home from school!)

I don't think TD and Metroplex are similar at all? They are both great programs and both encourage real school, but the organization is different.

Metroplex is an afternoon program with a small number of gymnasts in 2-a-days. There are JO gymnasts and elite gymnasts in both tracks, but generally the 2-a-day program is for elites. Marnie and Gina coach all Level 10 and up.

Metroplex has 2-a-day programs for athletes from compulsory all the way up to Level 10 and there are quite a few athletes, overall. The 3 Elites are 2-a-day. There are 1-a-day programs from compulsory to Level 10, again, with a lot of athletes. There is an emphasis for the older L10s to move to 1-a-day in preparation for NCAA, where practice hours are more limited.

Metroplex goes to developmental camp. Texas Dreams does not. Metroplex does hopes and tops. Texas Dreams does not.

This is (IMO) more reflective of the connections TD has had with the Ranch over they years. With their National Team members regularly at NT Training Camp, they have been able to highlight (and test) capable athletes through "alternate" channels (vs. "conventional" testing thru TOPS and HOPES). Remember too, that Developmental Camp is age-limited. In fact, only one of the three Metroplex elites has been to DC recently, as a HOPES who also qualified JE.

Wow...the thread that keeps on going ;)

Metroplex has 2-a-day programs for athletes from compulsory all the way up to Level 10 and there are quite a few athletes, overall. The 3 Elites are 2-a-day. There are 1-a-day programs from compulsory to Level 10, again, with a lot of athletes. There is an emphasis for the older L10s to move to 1-a-day in preparation for NCAA, where practice hours are more limited.

I am truly appalled that a compulsory level gymnast would be training 2 a day. Ditto for level 7 and 8. I even find it pointless for level 9 and 10 really. If very good level 10 gymnasts are hoping to move on to college then , as stated above, they won't be doing 2 a day. Unless all these kids are hoping to test elite then why would you need that. That is nuts. I would run away fast from a program that even allowed it for those lower levels.

OK...so I hate it when I get called out and...I made a mistake.

I checked with my sources and you're right--there are NOT 2-a-day schedules for compulsories. Without a roster of the kids in each practice group, or knowing who's moved up, etc, it's hard to say what level gymnasts are in fact practicing 2-a-day, but I know there were level 8s in 2-a-day groups last year.

...Unless all these kids are hoping to test elite then why would you need that...

Welcome to gymnastics in Texas.
You can probably say that about youth sports in Texas, generally!
As they say, everything's bigger in Texas ;)

As recently as last school year, there were a number of compulsories doing 2-a-days at Metroplex. However, this year, though I know there are several compulsories who work out during school hours, I heard they rearranged schedules so that they are only doing one practice per day. Many of those girls are homeschooled by a teacher at the gym.

The gyms you mention have very different tracks within the same gym so it depends on what track you are invited to join.

If you are invited to one of the Dream Team groups, then you will be mostly (or all) coached by Kim and will be headed for successful elite. 85% of gymnasts are not coached on this track at Texas Dreams. Most of the gymnasts that place very well in national competitions are on the Dream Team. In the past four years, I think three or so gymnasts in the JO-track program were moved to the Dream Team program. Usually you join DT when you join the gym. There is a Dream Team 10 group, but most of those gymnasts (but not all) trained elite on Dream Team in the past.

Up until recently, there wasn't truly an "elite" group at Woga. Valeri had his groups and Laurent had his groups. Now, the elites train together with Laurent and I think there are four gymnasts in that group. Valeri works with USAG.

I believe all of the 10s and elites at Metroplex are coached by Marnie and Gina, but not the lower levels. There is a small 2-a-day group (by invitation only) where most of the hopes/elites train. Metroplex has a very deep and successful Level 10 program and Marnie and Gina have been successful at Level 10 for maybe ten years (going back to when they were the JO head coaches at Dreams).

The good news is that all of these teams allow you to go to "real" school. Texas public schools are very flexible and all the gyms have kids at every level attending great public schools.

Can you share with me which of the really high rated high schools are more flexible with gymnasts schedules. We are moving from VA and run into problems with the schools not being flexible. Would like her to go to a high rated public high school but still have them be flexible.

Can you share with me which of the really high rated high schools are more flexible with gymnasts schedules. We are moving from VA and run into problems with the schools not being flexible. Would like her to go to a high rated public high school but still have them be flexible.
I would recommend Plano ISD. They have a special Category 3 off campus PE specifically for gymnasts, and the high schools are some of the better public schools in the Metroplex. Just remember that ISD boundaries do not follow city lines.

Arlington ISD also has the off campus PE option
That's great to know! I had no idea that Arlington also offered this benefit. I heard that Lewisville ISD might begin to offer Category 3, but I don't know if they have started.

Grand Prairie ISD allows last period off campus PE. So does Mansfield. But obviously, you won't go to Metroplex or WOGA from either of those districts unless you just really love traffic. (And there are so many closer, great gym options.)

I would recommend Plano ISD. They have a special Category 3 off campus PE specifically for gymnasts, and the high schools are some of the better public schools in the Metroplex. Just remember that ISD boundaries do not follow city lines.
thank you so much for the advice!

Moving to area. I am completely confused on which gym to pick. My daughter is a highly competitive JO with 2 state wins in AA and 8 individual event state wins but not elite. She will be going into level 8 and is 12 years old. I want a gym where she will get continued high level coaching even if she doesn't go elite. (our gym did not have an elite program at all) Nervous that she will get overlooked with the amount of talented gymnasts in Dallas area. I have read through many reviews but it leaves me confused. Not interested in her getting berated or "beat down" mentally but ok to have very tough workouts and coaches expecting a lot from her. Any suggestions??? I can go to the big 3 mentioned in this string or any other that you have recommendations on.

Will you be doing homeschooling or will you want a gym with a strong afternoon program for kids who go to regular school?

In addition to those three, I would look at Empire and Kurt Thomas. All five have outstanding programs and routinely have state and regional champions on multiple events at all levels.

Will you be doing homeschooling or will you want a gym with a strong afternoon program for kids who go to regular school?

In addition to those three, I would look at Empire and Kurt Thomas. All five have outstanding programs and routinely have state and regional champions on multiple events at all levels.
She is homeschooling now and probably throughout her next couple of years but I think I may want her to go back for high school for the experience and to get ready for college but I am open.

I think it really depends on where you live and which program it a good fit for your daughter. As far as I know, all five (woga, metroplex, TD, KT, empire) have strong daytime programs for homeschooled optional gymnasts. I would find the 2 programs most convenient to your home and visit/do trials at both. Talk to the gyms and if neither look like a good fit, extend your look.

Proximity isn't everything, of course. I live 5 minutes from a gym and I choose to drive my daughter 45 minutes each way to a better gym (one of the five listed above). But I know girls at all five gyms and they are all happy and successful.

If none of these gyms work for where you live, Rockwall has a strong program. Ft. Worth also has a couple of strong gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back