Parents Texas???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Never a dull moment in our family, so our latest is...

Hubby's business may soon be taking us to Texas...

But, I'm ok w/ it! We are treating this whole chapter of our lives as a 'family adventure!' (insert overly large smile here!), & we have all become so much closer as a result (mainly b/c we left all our friends behind in CA and have not met many people here, LOL)!

So. Maybe moving early 2009 or so.

Dallas area, North, and to the West, possibly Flower Mound, Grapevine, etc. (so no gyms in Plano, Frisco, etc.)

We looked at houses for 2 solid days over thxgiving break (9am to 7pm). Still have not found 'it', but there are many lovely possibilities.

So, gym suggestions?

One thing I've learned as I have begun to research: TX is REALLY competitive! :eek: I thought we came from a fairly competitive gym in NorCal, but TX blows that away. I do not know one gym in NorCal that does twice-a-day practices (I'm sure there are some, but I was not aware of any). In TX, it seems that basically all the gyms that rank at the State level have twice-a-day practices (at least for L6/7 & up), and many, many girls homeschool so they can handle their gym schedules.

I am hoping to find a gym where dd can still learn and compete good form & technique, place fairly nicely, but not have to quit school to go there!

Hellllppp! Any feedback TX CB pals??:confused:

Wow, I cannot help at all. But I'll be right here with you to lend and ear, a shoulder and as many hugs as you need on the way to Texas. Knowing you, you will do a fab job of reloccating and getting the family organised. YOu can tell your hubby from me, that you are one wonderfully supportive wife/mom!

I love an adventure, travelling anywhere is great, kids adapt better than most people think and they will be more interesting adult because of their experiences.

Twice a day practice for L6/7, now there is a way to get the kids to quit sooner!!!

You might want to try Sunbelt in Colleyville. I'm not sure how far it is though. Let me know if you need any help.

Chris

Thank you Bog, you are so sweet to say all those nice things!

I'm sure IF this does happen, I will be whining aplenty here on CB!

I know, twice a day seems a bit nutso to me! One gym I spoke w/ has practice from 6 to 8 am, three times a week, as part of their schedule! And the bummer is, that the team coordinator from there & I have been e-mailing each other, and she sounds absolutely awesome. I know she would look after dd very well. But I have to laugh, thinking of my dd slogging into gym at 6 am, LOL!! Look out, here comes old grumpy-bones! I'm sure some people make it work...how, I do not know!

You might want to try Sunbelt in Colleyville. I'm not sure how far it is though. Let me know if you need any help.

Chris
Thank you Chris! I have seen their name. They seem to win L5/6 states and then disappear off the charts, though. Do you know if they have Optionals? DD may be headed in that direction within the year, so I would hate for dd to do L6 there and then have to move...

Texas Dreams is the "biggie" in that area. The girls from there look very good in competitions. Other gyms in the area are: Top Flight, US Gold, Lone Star, Corinth, Excite, and Denton.

One thing Texas has is MANY gyms. You'll surely find one that is a good fit for your child and your family.

Good luck!

Oh Msj - you are a better woman that I am - I HATE moving. I am really happy where we are (moved her 3 yrs ago ) but I don't like the whole process.

Good luck on your house and gym search. I agree that twice a day for those levels seems crazy, but I guess the gyms around here would not place @ State's !!!

Keep us posted on your 'adventure'

Wow msl, thats a surprise, but from what I have seen you are going to be spoilt for choice. On the whole move thing, its sounds like you have the right attitude, we had a major (different countries) move three years ago and I am in no rush to uproot and start all over again, again! At least you will still have us on CB. Look forward to hearing all about it !!

All I know is from some parents at our gym... The one coach was at their last gym and was very good. She might be building the program. Something to ask anyway.. :)

Chris

Twice a day is tough - my dd had to do that over the summer when she didn't even have school to contend with and really didn't like it at all.

Good luck to you guys. Moving to another state is tough - we did it a little over 2 years ago and are just now starting to feel settled - I can't imagine having to do it again. The good thing is you've done the whole looking for a new gym thing and found a good one this time which means you know what you should be looking for. You know your dd and what is right for her :)

Twice a day is tough - my dd had to do that over the summer when she didn't even have school to contend with and really didn't like it at all.

Good luck to you guys. Moving to another state is tough - we did it a little over 2 years ago and are just now starting to feel settled - I can't imagine having to do it again. The good thing is you've done the whole looking for a new gym thing and found a good one this time which means you know what you should be looking for. You know your dd and what is right for her :)
Thank you! It's actually good that we are not feeling that settled here yet, makes it easier to leave, although dd will (once again) hate to leave her gym-mates! But she said to me last night, "I know I'll make new friends at the new gym, I've always had good buddies at every gym I've been to". What a great kid I am blessed with!

Oh, and good point about Summer practices, I will definitley check in to that! I would probably not have thought that far ahead if you had not said something! Thank you! :p

We are in Texas...in the Dallas area as well. You are right---it is very competitive! My friend owns a gym in Euless...might be worth checking out if you are west. It is not very far from the DFW airport. I would not do Sunbelt--they do not have a strong optional team and keep there kids at L6 for a long time. Top Flight is good...Texas Dreams does the twice a day thing. Scout's mom had some good suggestions...I'll keep my ear out for more!

Wow. I can't imagine a better time to house hunt!! (you're gonna love the whole No State income tax thing too!!)

I lived in Kingwood TX for 7 years while working for Enron. When the company went bust, we begrudgingly moved to 'where the work was'. (which was anywhere BUT the Houston Area). We sure do miss 'big ol' Texas. Great folks there! I'm somewhat envious...but then, we LOATH moving, so you're on you own with that. I still say that El Paso was founded by people that tried to cross Texas in a covered wagon and just gave up after 30 days. Can you imagine the kids on THAT trip? "Are we there YET?" :D

Doesn't WOGA have a gym in/near Dallas?

We are in Texas...in the Dallas area as well. You are right---it is very competitive! My friend owns a gym in Euless...might be worth checking out if you are west. It is not very far from the DFW airport. I would not do Sunbelt--they do not have a strong optional team and keep there kids at L6 for a long time. Top Flight is good...Texas Dreams does the twice a day thing. Scout's mom had some good suggestions...I'll keep my ear out for more!
Thank you! Does your friend own Empire, or is there another gym in Euless I should check out? I e-mailed Empire, and they are a possibility, at least schedule-wise.

I did e-mail Top Flight, and the Girl's Team director got back to me today. She seems really together, and I like what I heard from her. Things like "emphasis is placed on the total child- not just the big win", although they do have great success w/ the program. We will definitley have dd give them a try. And, they don't have twice a day practices! Woo-hooo!

Thanks so much for all the input!

Wow. I can't imagine a better time to house hunt!! (you're gonna love the whole No State income tax thing too!!)

I lived in Kingwood TX for 7 years while working for Enron. When the company went bust, we begrudgingly moved to 'where the work was'. (which was anywhere BUT the Houston Area). We sure do miss 'big ol' Texas. Great folks there! I'm somewhat envious...but then, we LOATH moving, so you're on you own with that. I still say that El Paso was founded by people that tried to cross Texas in a covered wagon and just gave up after 30 days. Can you imagine the kids on THAT trip? "Are we there YET?" :D

Doesn't WOGA have a gym in/near Dallas?
You are too funny w/ the covered wagon comment! Yep, it is pretty barren there in El Paso. We drove thru on our move to FL, lol! We had a great Mexican food lunch there though, yummm!

Thanks for the encouragement about TX. Back in CA, everyone kind of looks down their nose at that State, and I think they are missing out on a nice place, now that I have seen more for myself!

WOGA is in Plano/Frisco/Dallas. Apparently their L6/7's work out in Plano, but they are full-up right now! Hmmmm, I wonder why??? Anyway, it's not a consideration for us, as it is too far away from where we are looking at homes.

Yeah, moving sucks, don't get me thinking about it. Not just yet! ICK...Can I just have a general anesthetic and wake up all moved-in to our new house? Now there's a great business idea, lol!

Yeah, moving sucks, don't get me thinking about it. Not just yet! ICK...Can I just have a general anesthetic and wake up all moved-in to our new house? Now there's a great business idea, lol!

They have Sedation Dentistry - why not Sedation Moving. I think it is a great idea and probably the only way to get me to move again !!!

Leaving Fl already! I don't know anything about Texas,but wanted to say could luck on finding a house and gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back