Parents Texas???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Leaving Fl already! I don't know anything about Texas,but wanted to say could luck on finding a house and gym.
I know! It was a quick stint! But the failing US economy in relation to hubby's business necessitates the move. So ya do what ya gotta do.

I'm sad to leave the beautiful weather and the nice people we've connected w/. Luckily, we haven't yet unpacked about 1/4 of our boxes, b/c we were renting a townhome until we found a house. Good thing we never found a house & truly settled-in, looking back on it now. Things happen for a reason, I always like to say...

I love an adventure, travelling anywhere is great, kids adapt better than most people think and they will be more interesting adult because of their experiences.

I wanted to say that this has been a very encouraging statement to me over the past few days, Bog. Thank you!

It's hard not to worry that I might be 'ruining' my kids' lives w/ all the uprooting in the past year, and especially since their ages are Jr Hi & Hi School. Seems like the absolute worst thing to do to them.

I do hope you are right that they will come out of all this ok, and that it will make them better, more interesting people! :eek:

Yes, look at this as an awesome family adventure... great advice. And just think of all the military families who move every couple of years... the kids really do learn how to adapt quickly to new situations and new people... not a bad thing at all!

Let us know what finally happens!

-Lynn

MSL - The best thing about moving is that the Chalk Bucket doesnt go anywhere! LOL :)

I dont have any ideas for gyms in Texas but I will offer my support! I dont think you are ruining your kids lives (as you said in a previous post) it sounds like they are looking forward to the great adventure. You are pretty lucky to have such laid back kids. I even MENTION moving across town to Beetle and she throws a fit.. Much less across the country.

Good luck, aren't you grateful for the internet? You can email all these teams, check out their websites, the scores, etc. Before the internet you would have had to go and visit all those gyms and talk to all those coaches.. that would have been painful!
Good luck!

Thinking of you in MN!

Hi--

My friend does own Empire. Their program is pretty new---they are not quite as proven as TF, but are committed to building a good team. If you would like to PM me, I can tell you more. It sounds like Top Flight is a great program---they seem to do well at meets and sounds like it will be close to your new house. Hopefully you will like it in person as well....

Let me know if you have any other questions...

MSL - The best thing about moving is that the Chalk Bucket doesnt go anywhere! LOL :)

I dont have any ideas for gyms in Texas but I will offer my support! I dont think you are ruining your kids lives (as you said in a previous post) it sounds like they are looking forward to the great adventure. You are pretty lucky to have such laid back kids. I even MENTION moving across town to Beetle and she throws a fit.. Much less across the country.

Good luck, aren't you grateful for the internet? You can email all these teams, check out their websites, the scores, etc. Before the internet you would have had to go and visit all those gyms and talk to all those coaches.. that would have been painful!
Good luck!

Thinking of you in MN!
Thank you so much, Kristilyn! Your post is very encouraging to me. As I mentioned, it's the kids I worry about the most. I can make changes a lot easier than they can right now. I'm old! No one cares if I'm having a bad hair day or have saggy abs!

Yes, I love the internet. I feel like I can 'spy' on all of these teams! But the real test will come when dd tries a few of them on for size! Whatever she chooses, I am truly ok with (except for that 6 am practice one, her DAD will most definitely be on deck for that drive, if that is truly her most most fave, lol!)! I have uncovered some nice options, so I think she will be able to find a good fit...

Hi--

My friend does own Empire. Their program is pretty new---they are not quite as proven as TF, but are committed to building a good team. If you would like to PM me, I can tell you more. It sounds like Top Flight is a great program---they seem to do well at meets and sounds like it will be close to your new house. Hopefully you will like it in person as well....

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Thank you, jls, I really appreciate your time! I will pm you, b/c I do have a couple of questions.

Thanks again so much for the support.

Just an afterthought on the kids:

Before we moved, my oldest was in 8th grade and doing very well. All A's, gifted classes, etc. He didn't like that we moved at all, but he understood that it wasn't something we wanted either. You have to do what you have to do. It didn't take him long at all to adjust.

Anyway, after one semester in the new school.... his grades flopped. We're talking c's d's and even some F's. Very untypical. The reason... the school didn't actually READ his school transcript, and just plopped him into general course work. He was bored stiff, and had an "i don't care" attitude.

We had a sit-down with all-in-charge at the school, and insisted that they elevate his course load to what he's capable of doing. It took a bit of pushing, but they finally did it, and he again excelled back to his normal grades.

One thing that helped was a letter from his gifted program counselor from his previous school. I'm sure we'd wouldn't have gotten as far as we did without it.

Long story short: When he graduated, one of his counselors approached us and told us how thankful she was for pushing so hard. Few parents know that they have the upper hand in public schools.

Just an afterthought on the kids:

Before we moved, my oldest was in 8th grade and doing very well. All A's, gifted classes, etc. He didn't like that we moved at all, but he understood that it wasn't something we wanted either. You have to do what you have to do. It didn't take him long at all to adjust.

Anyway, after one semester in the new school.... his grades flopped. We're talking c's d's and even some F's. Very untypical. The reason... the school didn't actually READ his school transcript, and just plopped him into general course work. He was bored stiff, and had an "i don't care" attitude.

We had a sit-down with all-in-charge at the school, and insisted that they elevate his course load to what he's capable of doing. It took a bit of pushing, but they finally did it, and he again excelled back to his normal grades.

One thing that helped was a letter from his gifted program counselor from his previous school. I'm sure we'd wouldn't have gotten as far as we did without it.

Long story short: When he graduated, one of his counselors approached us and told us how thankful she was for pushing so hard. Few parents know that they have the upper hand in public schools.

Great advice TimDad - we had a similar problem when we moved. DS in gifted program at old elementary school, new one looked at one test score and said "nope - too low". That was middle 3rd grade. 4th grade teacher said - make sure he gets tested, classic gifted student.

Long story short it was a hard fight w/ his 5th grade teacher but I went to office and explained that the 4th grade teacher insisted I make sure he was tested (the 4th grade teacher is the best in the school and her name has a lot of pull). Anyway - he was tested and now is in the gifted program for Language Arts in middle school. His middle school math teacher had him tested for math because she is giving him the gifted work and he is getting 95's. He didn't score for gifted on the test, but she is still treating him as such.

Sometimes it is just a fight.

We still might end up in Dallas area as well. I am hoping that with all the different gyms, USAG, different leagues, etc, that we can find somewhere for my DD that will fit. She loves competing, even though she really doesn't quite get how all the little things are as important as the big things, but I just want her to be able to compete regardless.

Maybe we will end up near you! Though I would like to live in Plano area, not for WOGA though, but because I think I had found some cool homeschool groups there. Can't remember. LOL.

Good luck finding a good fit for your DD. I might check back with you if we end up there. My 2 choices for TX are Dallas area or San Antonio. :D My dad wants us to move to Indianapolis, but I hate the cold a lot.

Well good luck to you & your family, mariposamama! Definitely let me know what you end up doing! I think we will have plenty of good choices, so I am not worried. Hope it all works out for you! :D

Denton Gymnastics

I know I'm late to the conversations, but if you are still looking, Denton Gymnastics Academy seems to be a new gym that is doing well. Denton is north on 35E from Lewisville and Flower Mound. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Thank you! That may still be a possibility. We should be zero-ing in on our area soon. Right now, we really like the Southlake/Grapevine area, which may be a bit far for dd to attend Denton. Seems like Top Flight might be a good fit for the area we like. There are several gyms in that general area that she's looking forward to trying out.

But if we end up of North of Grapevine Lake, then Denton will definitley be an option.

Thanks! :)

My dad wants us to move to Indianapolis, but I hate the cold a lot.

Are you or your dad from Indy? That's where we're at! Indiana's cost of living is low, if you can tolerate the crazy weather. Warm one and cold the next. You could get a LOT of house here for what you are probably paying in California.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back