Texting meet scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daughter was at a meet this past weekend and they offered to have your daughters scores text to you for 2 dollars. I found this really weird since the scores were electronically shown even if they were not who would pay for this. I quess I just assumed that the parents were watching their gymnasts performance and then watching for the score. Why would you need to have the score text to you.

LOL, that is funny. The only reason I can think of is at multiple meets this year the score boards would quit working and not flash the score. It happened to my dd once then you have to wait until the end of the meet and get the score from the coach. I have never heard of paying to get it texted to you.

actually, it is fundraising for the host club. you can have the results texted to ANYONE that you might list including yourself so that you can forward them on to relatives if you wish.:)

Yeah, my first guess was that some people would pay to have it sent to another parent who wasn't at the meet, or other family members. Especially if they do it event by event (as in, when they enter the scores). That could be fun for some people without the parent who is trying to watch and videotape worry about it.

Well, I have never seen an electronic score board at a competition, do all your comps have them?

Our scores are put up usually by kids on a manual score board. Often they are put up incorrectly and a kids ends up with a 9.E instead of a 9.3. There is no name to indicate who the score belongs too and it would be very difficult for any parent to keep up with the scores. Often the score goes up a few routines after the gymnast has competed and unless you have been counting the gymnasts and counting the scores and making sure you haven't missed anything its hard to keep track.

Sometimes the last few scores in a rotation are not put up, and if the kid whose job it is to put them up disappears or goes to the bathroom they are not put up.

Daughter was at a meet this past weekend and they offered to have your daughters scores text to you for 2 dollars. I found this really weird since the scores were electronically shown even if they were not who would pay for this. I quess I just assumed that the parents were watching their gymnasts performance and then watching for the score. Why would you need to have the score text to you.

i think it's great, for forwarding on to people, to raise money for the club and some parents may be busy eg. with little kids running around at the meet that they didnt get a chance to see their childs scores :) also a great way to keep track of her seasons scores, all for 2 bucks :)

Kinda cool. Sometimes we team parents will text scores to each other (like if we are watching level 6 and friend is coming later to watch level 5). We all like to know how the team girls are doing. Not sure if I would pay for it...would depend on my mood and how much money I already spent that day!

I would pay the $2 for this. Not to text them to me, but to have them sent to my husband. He's missed over half of the meets this year because our oldest son has had hockey games in different towns at the same time.

So, he texts me game updates and I text him meet updates. I'd love to have one less thing to have to remember to do at meets! I just want to watch :)

Wow - neat idea although I am not sure I would do it just for my daughter. Since I am also a score keeper for the team, if I could get the whole team's scores texted to me for $2.00 then I would be in!

I haven't seen that but we have had meets where you can see TV screens that keep up with scores and rankings during the meets. I also remember at a meet in AL, they gave parents a website link where you could keep up with scores. Not sure I would pay for it.

I have to say for $2.00, I would probably pay to have them sent to my husband. He misses a lot of meets and sometimes between trying to watch, video, and keep my 2 sons occupied so they don't drive everyone around us crazy, I forget to send him updates on scores.

Well, I have never seen an electronic score board at a competition, do all your comps have them?

Our scores are put up usually by kids on a manual score board. Often they are put up incorrectly and a kids ends up with a 9.E instead of a 9.3. There is no name to indicate who the score belongs too and it would be very difficult for any parent to keep up with the scores. Often the score goes up a few routines after the gymnast has competed and unless you have been counting the gymnasts and counting the scores and making sure you haven't missed anything its hard to keep track.

Sometimes the last few scores in a rotation are not put up, and if the kid whose job it is to put them up disappears or goes to the bathroom they are not put up.

This is how it was done at our state meet we had to hold up the scores. But the judges always gave us their score card and it has the gymnasts number on the other side so we would clip it to the score handle and then the parents would know what gymnast it was by their number.

Kadee only had 4 meets this season, and all but this last meet her father was there also. But this last one, he did not go. I must say he was driving me nutty with the texting me to get her updates. I was busy trying to watch the meet (i love watching and cheering on all our teamies) and video her. Something like that would have been nice in that situation where one parent is already juggling several things. I have only seen it offered at one meet that she went to this season. I probably wouldnt have even gave it much thought had it been offered at this one..because I had never been there done that by myself yet..lol. Now that I have if im ever in that situation again..and its offered for a "decent" price (couple bucks) I would def pay that just to take that one responsibility off myself..plus it goes to the host gym..so its a win win.
As far as the scoring...I have only been to one meet that it was not shown on an electronic score board. I think its pretty common here to do the electronic scoring. Our gym rented the scoring equipment. Each event score was shown on a different smaller panel. One meet we went to it was a big panel, where each event score was shown on a different "line". One was actually done by computer..but projected on a wall. The last one was the manual flip cards. But with that they held up two different set of numbers..one was the score and one was the childs personal number. So every meet was different. But all but the last one was done electronicaly

We have four electronic score boards at our meets, one dedicated to every event. Some of our meets also have tv's giving up to date information of placing. We live in Tennessee.

I think this is a clever idea & a nice money maker for the host gym! I'd have gladly paid $2 at that last couple of meets to have DD's score's texted to my DH back home! He was unable to attend the meets & I'm a NOT a good texter:eek:. I finally just called him after awards were done & he had been waiting to hear:(. Technology!!! Amazing!!!:D

Most of ours have - if not name, gymnast's number, and score.

We were at one, though, with the manual - and UGH. What a nightmare. They were all bumbled up - and you couldn't tell who went with what.

I'd pay $2 to have my granddaughter's scores text to me...especially if they were sent event by event! I have only been able to see her compete once this season and it's hard to wait till they are over to see how she did

This is how it was done at our state meet we had to hold up the scores. But the judges always gave us their score card and it has the gymnasts number on the other side so we would clip it to the score handle and then the parents would know what gymnast it was by their number.

Our gymnasts don't have "numbers" as such, they have a number but no one knows what it is, they don't make it public its just for scoring purposes. The kids don't wear numbers on their leotards, all is done by name. The scores just go up in the same order the girls competed though, no numbers or names and frequently scores are missed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back