Thanksgiving

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that's probably a smart idea. We have a form we have to fill out that includes if there has been any travel out of state for 14 days. I assume they will request that gymnasts quarantine if they have, but would like to get that clarified. (Also, it is admittedly a bit arbitrary as it is much riskier for me to have 10 friends/family to my house than it is for us to go over the border to my dads house (30 minutes away) and spend an hour or so with him.)

Nothing from the gym, although in general they aren’t taking things very seriously. I’ve been thinking of keeping my gymnast home the week after thanksgiving, and also the week of New Years. I just don’t trust that everyone is being safe.

So, in reality, you would need 10-14 days to truly know if anyone is sick after they return from Thanksgiving. That is the incubation period. So one week helps, but really, 2 weeks would be better. I really do wish people would just not travel, and would follow the guidelines so we could get back on top of this thing.

Not a peep on this from DDs gym. I'm fearful for what happens after Thanksgiving. I wish we'd all pause again.

No word from our gym but I have thought about keeping my daughter home that week but all of December is going to be risky :(

What happens for Thanksgiving would depend on what the person/family does for Thanksgiving.........

I disagree. OP is asking what the gym has planned. Are they closing for a bit? Asking people who travel to quarantine, etc. Not what individuals are doing.
It’s not up to the gyms to parse families exposure.

The gyms follow the guidelines their state tells them to follow. Of course everyone, personally and business wise can always do more.

We fill out a form for every practice, regarding our travel, health, exposure etc....

My daughter quarantined because I had an exposure. One of our coaches is in quarantine due to travel for a family crisis.

If you are following guidelines ”Thanksgiving“ doesn’t matter.

Our gym has been open since July. We are a small gym. Folks are very careful. We keep our bubbles small. We have had no issues. I don’t expect any because it’s Thanksgiving.

And if you are not sending your children to gym, it really doesn’t matter what gyms are doing

It’s not up to the gyms to parse families exposure.

The gyms follow the guidelines their state tells them to follow. Of course everyone, personally and business wise can always do more.

We fill out a form for every practice, regarding our travel, health, exposure etc....

My daughter quarantined because I had an exposure. One of our coaches is in quarantine due to travel for a family crisis.

If you are following guidelines ”Thanksgiving“ doesn’t matter.

Our gym has been open since July. We are a small gym. Folks are very careful. We keep our bubbles small. We have had no issues. I don’t expect any buse it’s Thanksgiving.

The gym, being a private business, can make rules. If you travel, you don't return for so many days, etc. That is something they are allowed to do. This is what OP was asking. Is anyone's gym doing this.

Ours is not. And people are not following guidelines. And, many states don't have any travel guidelines but are asking people to not travel, or not see people that are not in the household. But we all know that is not happening.

Our governor shut everything down until 12/14 (at least) including all indoor youth sports. So not an issue. Even in the case where we've had a positive athlete (who obviously left gym as soon as they knew they were exposed), it did not spread in the gym. So if things were open, with current protocols in place, I would be totally comfortable. Unfortunately despite data that gymnastics is not spreading covid, we're shut down.

We have modified practice hours the week of Thanksgiving ( like usual) but no other guidelines. The gym is following state and local guidelines and the gymnasts and coaches are masked the entire practice. We’ve had a few cases in the gym that have not spread through the gym.

Our governor shut everything down until 12/14 (at least) including all indoor youth sports. So not an issue. Even in the case where we've had a positive athlete (who obviously left gym as soon as they knew they were exposed), it did not spread in the gym. So if things were open, with current protocols in place, I would be totally comfortable. Unfortunately despite data that gymnastics is not spreading covid, we're shut down.
Sound like we have the same governor. Like so many of our states gyms our gym never had a single positive test, but I get why they had to close down all athletics.

Prior to having to close, the gym was requiring the gymnast to stay away for 48 hours and get a covid test when traveling or hosting visitors.

Sound like we have the same governor. Like so many of our states gyms our gym never had a single positive test, but I get why they had to close down all athletics.

Prior to having to close, the gym was requiring the gymnast to stay away for 48 hours and get a covid test when traveling or hosting visitors.

It is so tough for sure :(

Teh 48 hours things baffles me. If you were exposed on a Sunday, waiting until Tuesday, even with a negative test, is not going to keep the gym safe. 14 days is needed. The incubation period for covid is 2-14 days. the infectious period starts 2 days before the first symptom for those that develop symptoms. Plus you can test negative at day 2, and positive at day 5.

It is so tough for sure :(

Teh 48 hours things baffles me. If you were exposed on a Sunday, waiting until Tuesday, even with a negative test, is not going to keep the gym safe. 14 days is needed. The incubation period for covid is 2-14 days. the infectious period starts 2 days before the first symptom for those that develop symptoms. Plus you can test negative at day 2, and positive at day 5.
Plus you can test negative at day 2, and positive at day 5. THIS!!! Brother exposed on a Sunday. Found out about it Tuesday. Took a rapid test = negative, but he still took extra precautions - (we quarantined him)... masking unless alone in his bedroom, social distancing of 10+ feet at all times, wiping down everything he touched with lysol wipes, and no touching the pets. I would wait 15 minutes and then go and re-wipe everything down ... wearing gloves and a mask.
Health department contacted him on Thursday and told him to quarantine for 2 weeks. They even told him not to bother getting retested Friday (our plan for our own piece of mind), they would just assume positive until the 14 days were up. Since they wanted him to quarantine starting Wednesday, so we put him in isolation then. At that point, he couldn't come out of his room unless he texted me first ... so I could go into my room and close the door until he was back upstairs. He was still wiping down everything he touched, etc. Our sister delivered his food and drinks outside of his door and let him know his stuff was there. He would wait until she was EITHER safely in her bedroom with the door closed OR she was back downstairs. He stored his dirty dishes in his room until he was out of isolation.
He got tested that Friday = positive rapid test ... so we sent him to get the PCR to confirm = positive test. Health Department contacted him until the following Monday and told him to isolate. He told them he had been self isolating since the previous Wednesday. Then they talked about symptoms. It turns out he was asymptomatic. The only 2 complaints he had were allergies (unless Benadryl cures Covid) and muscle aches from laying in his bed all day. They wanted to do contact tracing and even though we live in the same house, because of everything we did, my sister and I weren't quarantined. Neither of us had seen him since he started isolating (so before he tested positive) ... and we hadn't been within 10 feet of him since he found out he was exposed (and we had masks on) even though he had a negative test Tuesday. The last time ANYONE had been within 6 feet of him was Monday night on the way home from gym. I was in the front passenger seat while he drove (and since he was still negative on Tuesday, I was good).

Since he was asymptomatic, the health department tried to let him out of isolation early (quarantine was to be until 2 Saturdays after exposure, but they told him he could get out of isolation on that Thursday ... 10 days after exposure). We made him stay in isolation until the Saturday at 12:00pm.

When we let him out of isolation, the rule was he was still to basically quarantine as much as possible when at home: no dawdling downstairs unnecessarily, still masking and wiping things down (and I was still going back over everything). That was November 7.
He is allowed downstairs more now, but must still wear the mask and maintain a minimum of 6 feet social distance, and wipe down things all until November 27.

The health dept wishes everyone took it as seriously as we have (especially those who are asymptomatic).

I think the 48 hours is a guideline to not rush back to the gym and that if you have any doubt about exposure to take more time, but if the family drove down to grandmas and grandma isn't sick and hasn't been exposed to anyone than the minimal 48 hours with no other signs of sickness might be enough.

The gym is following the local USAG guidelines and nobody asked how local USAG came up with it. I totally get that 48 hours is not enough time to know you are safe.

The gym has stated numerous times that it is up to all the families to keep the house clean and that without everyone all in than a single person could get the season shut down, so if anyone isn't all in than take the year off or look at different options no hard feelings.

Yup. Super annoyed and hurting for the businesses who have done everything right and been safe and had no spread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back