that troublesome kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is new to gymnastics. She has been involved in gymnastics for one year now. She was evaluated by her gym in September and they determined that level 5 would be a good place for her. She has all of the essential tricks that she needs for all events except her kip. She is close but no there yet. Does anyone have any suggestions or things that helped them. I've heard people comment that a kip can take some time to learn. Any input or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.:D

My youngest has been working on her kip for 18 months, on and off. It was not a requirment here until this season, in other years it was a bonus skill. She has "got" it a few times and then it goes away. She is so close that it drives her crazy. I have learned to accept as she will get it one day

If you want constructive advice the only real way is to post a video of her doing it. That is the only way a coach can evaluate what she is doing incorrectly.

Just remember that when the kip battle is won, there is always another skill around the corner to be challenged by, that is the nature of gymnastics. Try not to coach her yourself verbally as it can be very confusing for them when they get to the gym. I bite my lip, smile and tell her that it'll come as it's so close. The amount of hard work and energy she has put into this one sikill astounds me.

I agree completely with Bog on this one. You are paying a professional coach to teach your dd the kip and its best for her if the instruction is coming from one source only. I understand that we all want to help our children succeed and it is very tempting to try to add our well-meaning suggestions, but in this sport skills come when they are ready. Every gymnast is different and I don't think it helps to push dd beyound what she is capable of. I do think that if she is very close and you want her to have some additional private instruction, (and she and her coach agree), then that might be helpful to her. My dd (now 17 L9/10) had privates when she was 6 so she could compete L5 and I think it was very beneficial. Bog is also right in that there is a progression to the skills your dd will learn and they tend to build on previous skills. It really is a marathon sport and it is important for us parents to be very patient as our dds progress. Good luck to your dd - I'm sure that kip will come.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear with my original post....I am not looking to coach my child, that is what I pay her gym to do. They are the trained professionals not me. I am just looking for suggestions to help your child work through the frustrations that may arise. thanks.

A kip often is the first big obstacle for most gymnasts. If she has only worked on her kip since September and she's getting close, she is probably ahead of 75% or more of all competitive gymnasts with the same mileage.

Some understanding and encouragement will go a long way. Just tell her to keep working at it. Tell her to be patient. It's really hard to say when her first kip will come. It could be here tomorrow or it could be a few months from now. Then once she has it, it may go away and may not come back for another few months.

BTW, just a trivia.. Kips used to be an USAG requirement for L4 back about 6 years ago. Because it was worth a full point, the podium was pretty much reserved for kid with kips. Scores of 9+ was very hard to come by back then and low 8s were considered as very good scores.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear with my original post....I am not looking to coach my child, that is what I pay her gym to do. They are the trained professionals not me. I am just looking for suggestions to help your child work through the frustrations that may arise. thanks.

Sorry if we miunderstood.:eek:

To help her, reassure her that the kip will come, tell her that many, many gymnasts struggle with this very complicated skill. Shawn Johnson says that it took her "way too long" to get her kip.

I remind my gymmie that every gymnast gets skills at different times, she got some things quickly whilst other girls were still slogging awat, the kip is her own challenge.

I try not to bring up the kip, if she brings it up, I just say "you're working so hard it will come".

I know it is hard in the US as they really cannot compete L5 without the kip, here in Quebec my gymmie will compete and will take a 0.5 deduction for it. THough maybe the "having to have it" might be extra motivation.

I agree with your positive attitude reinforcement instead of what I hear from a lot of moms as their leaving the gym with their daughters "oh great still didn't make your kip - guess you aren't tying hard enough or focused"! It's very troubling to hear those comments! believe me my daughter is struggling with that darn kip but we all have to take a deep breath and SMILE! and know that it will come sooner or later!!

Oh the kip! I smile because I remember when my DD was working on hers. Part of it is timing and part is physical ability to complete, but it's something all gymnasts at first struggle with. Wait until she gets to the clear hip circle and then giants!:) I'm no coach, just a parent, but from what my DD tells me (and it's been validated by coaches she's worked with), this is a sport of repetition. All things come in time, and after LOTS of reps. Some skills come easier than others, and every gymnast is different, so even when one skill comes easily for one, the next might not.

Just keep up the positive reinforcement - once she gets it, it's on to the next thing!

Good luck!

Common proboems with the kip is to get your shoulders over the bar, and shift wrists, shift writs, shift wrists!!! Alos, trya straddle glide, it is much easier than a pike.

I just got my kip like yesterday. So here are some of the things I wish I knew before i got it that would have helped me a lot.

1. You really have to shift those wrists to the top of the bar as you are coming up.
2. Make sure you get your ankles to the bar before you pass under the bar.
3. Don't bend the knees it just makes it harder.
4. Push down really hard on the bar as you are coming up.
5. Practice everyday if you can. It really helps the brain pick it up faster.

Hope that helped some. :)

I just got this like yesterday! So here are some of the things I wish I knew before I got it that would have helped me a lot.

1. You have to shift those wrists to the top of the bar fast as you are coming up.
2. Push down on the bar really hard as you are coming up.
3. Don't bend the knees it just makes it harder.
4. Get the ankles to the bar before you pass under the bar. Make sure they really
touch though because that was a problem of mine.
5. Practice every day if you can. It really helps the brain pick up the motion faster.

Hope that helped some! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back