WAG The Aches and Pains of Retired Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
Hi all! It's been a while since I've been on here after graduating high school, completing my gymnastics career and moving on to college. I've come back because I have some gymnastics related questions relevant to becoming a 19 year old ex-gymnast with the body of a 95 year old.

I crack, I creak and I make lots of weird noises. Given, I made all of these noises this while I was still doing gymnastics but the amount that I do now a days is beyond that. Do these pops and pains get worse as I get older? Is there anything I can do to curb the tendinitis feeling I get when I do something decently active? I have a feeling that I know the answers to these questions is going to be no not really and to "stay in shape". So my I guess my question is how?

I've been working out, trying to stay as "in shape" as I can because as it turns out, gymnast shape is hard to maintain when you're not working out 20 hours a week anymore. I'm doing more or less the same conditioning I did while doing gymnastics which is keeping me toned, but I've definitely lost the gymnastics strength. Do you guys have any advice for me as a fairly busy college student to get back/stay in shape so I don't feel like I'm going to pass out every time I try to relive my glory days and tumble more than a back tuck? Thank you for any advice that you can provide!

Not a former gymnast but know a bit about limits. Without the 20 hour practice perhaps the time has past for more then back tucks. Or if you are trying/wanting to do more, then you need to train for that.

For general staying in shape, perhaps yoga and or pilates. Some trampoline time. And get those creaks looked at as they may need intervention and specific PT.

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back