Anon The Dreaded Back Pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So daughter started having back pain...lower back with pain in her hip as well.... which from everything I have read is always the big red flag. This is the road I always prayed we wouldn't go down. She seems ok good spirits etc but I am so nervous. We went to the DR and Xrays looked ok...there is a shadow that could be nothing or could be something so time for an MRI. We have known some gymnasts with fractures and they were all found on the MRI so I am nervous to see what those results will be. Lover her Dr very positive and has treated other people we know.

It just seemed to come on pretty suddenly for her she was fine then she wasnt. Uggg. I always thought if there were back fractures that would be it I would pull the rip cord and we would be done....but she is finally in a good headspace with gym and wants to figure out what the issue is and come back from it and return to the sport. Even if it means months out and lots of hard conditioning and rehab to come back strong. I guess I will just support her whatever she decides but its frustrating. Just when things start to go well...scores start coming along skill acquisition is going great shes in a great groove getting things confident etc then something knocks her down.

Anything I should be on the look out for in terms of the diagnosis or any quesitons I should ask? Any words of encouragement? Any chance its not fractures lol? Trying my best not to be sad and stressed with limited success.

I actually subscribe to the "ignorance is good" theory at the particular point you are at right now. There are too many possible reasons for back pain from the trivial to the very serious. Going down the rabbit hole of "what if" and "Dr. Google" can really cause undue stress and be non-productive. Youre doing the right thing, taking it seriously and getting it checked out, especially the MRI. Wait until after you get a diagnosis from your MD and then come back and ask.

And if you want a story, my daughter had a similar experience, sudden back pain, went to ortho, xrays, maybe something, maybe nothing, got MRI, all good, just muscle/back pain, not time lost other than diagnosis time. Sees a sports massage therapist on the regular now and all good. I am sure there can be plenty of good/bad outcome stories you will hear. Just wait till you hear from MD then you can focus your perfectly understandable anxiety.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for the MRI- that has to just add to the stress! My daughter was having back pain and, after seeing a doctor, we were lucky that it turned out to just be muscular imbalances. PT helped tremendously, and she rarely has pain anymore, but if she does we go back to PT. I think you were very wise to immediately seek a diagnosis. It's horrifying how many parents choose to ignore back pain or seek alternative treatments like chiro without ever seeing a doctor.

The fact that the pain just started and you are taking care of it right away is good! The stress fracture doesn't just appear, it's a result of constant pounding of the same irritated spot over and over again, when there is a little bit of pain, but an athlete ignores it and continues doing what causes them pain.
My daughter was having some pain for months until we realized this could be something serious and took her to the doctor. By then of course she had a fracture. But I know others who took the pain seriously from the start, went to the doctor, and it was just a small irritation resolved by some rest and PT.
So, don't panic just yet, it might not be that bad. Good luck!

Thank you all for the encouragement! The reason I am most hopeful is that we took her as soon as she complained about pain. I am sometimes a wait and see its probably nothing parent but seen and heard to much not to get this checked right away (especially considering the type and location of the pain). And I have asked her a million times if she had any pain before she told me about it and it was maybe a few days before she told me so at least it wasnt months of pain before we got it checked.

Got the MRI and Dr appointment moved up to next week so excited to just know what it is. Really praying its something easier to heal from. I've seen kids that were fine, were out 6 weeks, and some were in a backbrace 23 hours a day for a month and out of gym for 3 months after that. I will do whatever we are told but hoping its just something irritated that can be fixed with PT.

Also really like her Dr. She has a really positive attitude and was very encouraging for kiddo...told her not many people in the world can do what you do and she knows gymnasts are a special breed so she will help her to get back safely and stronger than ever. Just really like how she talked about gymnastics and getting her back instead of having a negative attitude. There is one Dr in our area our gym has told people to not go to just because his answer is always you need to quit the sport forever and he is very negative. If she has to retire she has to retire but I don't think that should be a Drs go to response. I'll come back next week and update you all....in the meantime any prayers and crossed fingers and toes are apprecaited :)

Well Crap its fractures on both sides. One side is evidently older and the side that is hurting is newer. Wonder when she got the first one she had no pain with it its crazy. They are recommending an LSO brace for a month then lots of PT with a very slow return. Sigh....

Meantime I get to fight with insurance to find someone to see her right away because the orthotics place my insurance covers cant see her till August. Im Livid.

Well Crap its fractures on both sides. One side is evidently older and the side that is hurting is newer. Wonder when she got the first one she had no pain with it its crazy. They are recommending an LSO brace for a month then lots of PT with a very slow return. Sigh....

Meantime I get to fight with insurance to find someone to see her right away because the orthotics place my insurance covers cant see her till August. Im Livid.
Our journey with spondy has been well shared on here, so I won't bother being anonymous. My daughter has spondylolthesis and was out full rest for 10 weeks, braced for 4, and worried she would never do gymnastics again. The biggest thing is get multiple opinions. We saw 2 pediatric orthopedic surgeons (we have 2 children's hospitals within driving distance) and both said the same thing, so we are confident in the diagnosis. Find a good PT, they are invaluable in rehab. Make sure if your child is cleared to return to gym, you have a full sit down meeting with the coaches and tell them exactly what your athlete is cleared to do and what she can't do. My daughter has always been Gumby and the coaches LOVE to show off her contortionist abilities. No more. No more back walkovers, bridge kick overs, no front walk overs, no more doing elbow stands with her feet on the floor over her head. None of it. If her coaches try anyway, find a new gym. Make sure your kiddo knows to speak up if any pain happens. My daughter is super quiet, doesn't like to make a fuss or be made a fuss over, but she is now able to walk up to her coach and say, "I can't do another pass, my hip hurts" and her coaches have been amazing. They let her roll out, stretch, ice, all the gym. Make sure you have this kind of supportive environment.

Our brace was made at the Hangar Clinic (they are nationwide). It was a TSO or TSLO (I wish I could remember) and she was in it 22 hours a day for 4 weeks. It wasn't bad actually and she got used to it pretty quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back