Coaches The extinction of the backhandspring (flick)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blantonnick

Coach
Judge
There seems to be a new trend in mens gymnastics on the floor exercise...more and more gymnast's seem to be veering away from the RO-backhandspring connected to higher level elements. I am seeing more and more gymnasts using the Roundoff as the mechanism for takeoff without the backhandspring. Elements such as RO-back 3/2..., RO back 2/1, RO back 5/2 and even RO back 3/1 are seen more and more at elite level competitions. Was wondering anyone feelings regarding this phenomenon...Personally, I can see advantages and disadvantages to the trend. The feet driving further back behind the COM on take off seems to be the idea behind the backhandspring (flick), however with the way the FIG is rewarding certain passes, are we seeing the decline of the backhandspring in modern day elite gymnastics?

We need a larger floor...the back handspring just takes up too much room.

If you were to do a series, I could understand the use of a back handspring or whip as an accelerator.

For one big skill, I don't think a BHS is as necessary, unless maybe something like a double layout.

Hi

I personaly haven't noticed this, but then again i haven't been keeping up with current gymnastics events. Its such as shame, because i used to be 100% onto it, but lately i have fallen behind times, and now i dont even know who is in the circuit. Damn it!.
I will keep an eye out for this.

A coulple of thoughts regarding this point.
1- Many gymnasts do the back handspring in a way that well one might consider unoptimal, making it probably more effective and easier to just to a RO
2- So skills really just dont require a back handspring before it.
3- A well executed back handspring should in theory be more effective then just a round-off.

I am sure there are more thoughts out there on this issue.. very interesting.

Valentin, it probably gets down to just that; the technical execution of their back handspring. If it's less than optimal, they could just omit it, besides the aforementioned running out of space when doing connected passes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back