Parents The Flip Side by Shawn Johnson

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Wondering if anyone has a review of this book? DD loves gymnastics fiction, but at 9, I am wondering if she is too young for this book? Besides the Go For the Gold series, does anyone have any gymnastics fiction recommendations?

There is a series by April Adams (flipping out, tumbling dreams and balancing act are the titles) that my 9 year old enjoyed. I have no idea on the quality of them, DD would like word salad if it was gymnastic themed.

I would say that she is too young for The Flip Side. It's not overly mature but it is a high school girl. She lies to her parents, wrestles with wanting to date and there are some mean girl parts, so not stuff I would introduce to a 9 year old.

There is the Jake Maddox sports series: Gymnastics Jitters, Victory Vault, Back on the Beam

My dd read some pretty cute ones that were part of a Sports Illustrates series. Quick reads but fun. I Broke into Gymnastics Camp, Don't Break the Balance Beam.

Also, The American Girl McKenna books.

I grew up reading a book called "The Rascals from Haskells Gym" which was a great book, until the one page where the overweight gymnast was advised to throw up her ice cream so she didn't get fat...It's tough to find good gymnastic-related books!

There is a new book called finding your balance by Lauren Hopkins. I just read it and thought it was pretty good. Not nine year old appropriate though. They are teenage girls and there is some language and adult concepts. The gymnastics is good and accurate. There are more coming too!

There is a series by April Adams (flipping out, tumbling dreams and balancing act are the titles) that my 9 year old enjoyed. I have no idea on the quality of them, DD would like word salad if it was gymnastic themed.

My 10 year old, and her 12 year old teammate really enjoyed the April Adams books even more than the Go for the Gold books (although she loved these too.) It's near impossible to get her to read (even though she's a great reader) anything unless it is gymnastics related. I think reading is just too stationary for her.

There is a new book called finding your balance by Lauren Hopkins. I just read it and thought it was pretty good. Not nine year old appropriate though. They are teenage girls and there is some language and adult concepts. The gymnastics is good and accurate. There are more coming too!

Filing this info away for when Short Stack gets a bit older. :)

I grew up reading a book called "The Rascals from Haskells Gym" which was a great book, until the one page where the overweight gymnast was advised to throw up her ice cream so she didn't get fat...It's tough to find good gymnastic-related books!
I also grew up reading the Rascals from Haskells Gym....I think I read it 100 times or so. I was always bothered by the gymnastics inaccuracies as a kid, I don't think I even noticed the ice cream part.

My 10 year old, and her 12 year old teammate really enjoyed the April Adams books even more than the Go for the Gold books (although she loved these too.) It's near impossible to get her to read (even though she's a great reader) anything unless it is gymnastics related. I think reading is just too stationary for her.

Hah - while I type this, my daughter is reading while doing the splits on the exam table in the doctors office while we wait for the dr to come in for her camp physical...

My 10 year old has read most of the GymStars books, we find them on Amazon. They are non fiction though, she is also a reluctant reader. But these books keep her attention because they are real life stories of real gymnasts.

I found old used copies of the Junior Gymnasts for my DD who is almost 8. We read them together. I believe the girls in the books are 8 or 9. They are definitely older books though so there have probably been a few changes in the sport since they were originally published. She also liked the Gym Stars and the Jake Maddox books.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back