Parents The Grocery Bill?!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariekannairb

Proud Parent
Oh my word, I know that she needs the extra calories and I know that because of what we eat (we eat a lot of local) that I am asking for a bigger bill, but the kid will not stop eating LOL! I have also noticed that she grazes more than she used to, but wants to eat fairly often, every 2 hours or so. I am fairly happy with what we are feeding her, but I just needed someone to commiserate with on the food bill being almost as much as the competition fees :/

Our grocery bill is our highest bill next to our rent! Two gymnasts and a marine I have to feed and I want to cry every time I shop. Lol. We eat dairy free and gluten free and I cook everything from scratch and it is just so expensive!

I have tremendous guilt if i don't buy organic this, vegetarian fed that! I hit 3 grocery stores every Sunday just to load up. It takes half the day and half a tank of gas...then....I spend $7.00 a lb for grass fed ground beef and she comes home from practice not hungry for dinner because someone brought cupcakes for break....uhg!

I have tremendous guilt if i don't buy organic this, vegetarian fed that! I hit 3 grocery stores every Sunday just to load up. It takes half the day and half a tank of gas...then....I spend $7.00 a lb for grass fed ground beef and she comes home from practice not hungry for dinner because someone brought cupcakes for break....uhg!
DD (8 yo) has recent discovered that she feels better when she eats healthy and went from eating anything to wanting healthy food. It's great since the entire family is trying to eat healthy but it is definitely more expensive

I have been experimenting with swapping some of the stuff out that I am less worried about getting local and finding that I am still spending exactly the same amount. How does that even work? We have hens so I at least get my eggs cheap haha. I am trying to figure out some good high protein snacks for her, but I make something and it is gone within hours or I buy z-bars or something similar and again gone in just a few days.

We have a "scratch and dent" type of store about a half hour away. Sometimes, it is dented boxes or torn labels, sometimes, it is just overstocks from other places or things that are TECHNICALLY expired (but don't really go bad). We can get gatorade and powerade for like 25¢ each. We get organic juice boxes for 15¢ each, Nature Valley granola type boxes for 30¢. Things like that. We stock up on "munchies" that are fairly healthy. Then hit the Amish store nearby for Cheese, oats, baking supplies, apples (or whatever fruit is in season that we can buy by the bushel) and the most amazing black forest ham. After that (at least in the summer and fall), we hit up a farm down the road from the Amish store and get fresh fruits and veggies. We do this once a month. Toward the end of the month, the munchie cupboard is pretty bare, but by that time of the month, both gymmies are jonesing for pizza rolls and chicken nuggets, both with ranch dressing, lol.

I can relate. My DD is trying to gain some lost weight from a medication, and our Pediasure bill gets a little ridiculous. Food is hard!

try a gymnast with two older rugby playing brothers ! I spend my life shopping and cooking ! I make cakes on a Sunday and fill up the goodie box with buns and brownies, and then again on Wednesday

At least you aren't parenting the Gronkowski brothers...

MARTIN: If you're just joining us, we're talking about the new memoir "Growing up Gronk: A Family's Story of Raising Champions." We're speaking with Dad Gordy, and his sons Dan and Gordie Jr. I understand that the refrigerator played a prominent role in your lives, growing up. Dad, you know I've got to ask you, how much was the weekly food bill when you had all the boys at home?

GRONKOWSKI SR: It was crazy. I'll tell you right now, I'm saving a lot of money right now. But it was about $500, $600 a week...

MARTIN: A week?

GRONKOWSKI SR: ...They went through about - yeah, they went through about two to three gallons of milk a day.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=204550153

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back