Parents The Kip Fairy Came last Night

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My little DD has been working her kip once in a while, she didn't need it this year and won't need it next year. She has been close for a while, sometimes the coach has almost thrown her over the bar, she's been that close.

Last night at gym she asked the coach to spot her on a kip, the coach said yes, but then turned around and was just too late to spot, guess what she kipped all by herself, I don't know who was more shocked, her coach standing there with her arms stretched out to spot, or little Bog who didn't quite believe she got up there by herself. She only managed to do one, and chances are she will take a while to get it again, but it was such a lovely moment for her.

Nobody in our gym has ever got their kip before grade 4, so she was feeling very proud. Our system is not at all like the USAG one. Here a kip is a bonus skill until levels 6/7, the bonus is so little, 0.3, that a nice pullover is better than the deductions on a not perfect kip.

Yeah for her! How exciting! The kip is a biggy in our gym, too (also Canadian) - as you pointed out, they don't need it til later and thus I suspect the push is not as great as it can be in the States to get this skill. Most of our girls are 9 ish before they get it, too - some even past that.

Also sooo true about them getting it once, and then having to work and work to get it again. My dd has "lost" hers a few times, and even after months of consistency still has days where it just ain't happening! LOL!

Cheers,
Lisa

That is so cool - even if it takes a while to get again or consistently she will always know she broke the record for youngest kip :D And who knows, maybe the kip fairy will pay her another visit soon.

That's awesome!! :applause: Congrats to her! My dd needs it for her Level 5 routine. Some days she's sooooo close. I know she'll get it eventually. Your dd got it once, I'm sure she'll get it again! Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome!! :applause: Congrats to her! My dd needs it for her Level 5 routine. Some days she's sooooo close. I know she'll get it eventually. Your dd got it once, I'm sure she'll get it again! Thanks for sharing!

woo-hoo for little bog!!:cool:
Hopefully the visits from the fairy become more regular.

my dd needs hers too, right now the coach is down to a two finger spot on her and we really need to see the kip fairy soon. She had it one day a few months ago and granted it was not pretty and we havent seen it since.

Thank you so much. It is so lovely to share with people who get that kips come and go, but they are still so important.

Little Bog wrote a note to the kip fairy and put it under her pillow, just to ask her to come to the gym tomorrow night, "because I'd like to do my kip again". Too sweet for words. I'll have to keep that in her memory box.

I hope the kip fairy is visiting all our little level 4's going on 5's. :)

Congratulations to the little record holder :D!! The kip is such an exciting skill to get & nearly impossible if you don't work on it regularly so she (not the kip fairy:wizard:) gets the credit LOL! That is just fantastic W, glad to hear that the summer is bringing lots of fun & excitement in the gym. How about for T? How is she feeling? n

If any of you have an in with the cast handstand fairy - would you mind sending her over this way :D

If any of you have an in with the cast handstand fairy - would you mind sending her over this way :D

Bigger Bog would love a visit from her too, she has had her kip for over two years and cannot cast out of it, I know why, but it just never seems to get fixed, all about technique.

Little Bog has her last night at gym tonight before their 2 week break, hopefully she has a happy night! Kip or no kip.

Way to go little bog, I remember that day so well. How is bigger bog doing? I am go happy that you have a great start to the summer. And as I remember you are doing less days at the gym. Is this a case of less is more?

Keep us posted and tell little bog GREAT JOB!!!:)

Send my congratulations her way! Getting the kip is a big step in your gymnastics career and a very important one. I am surprised they dont require it until such high levels. Here in Australia the kip is a bonus skill in level 4, so that is when the girls master it. They must have it to compete level 5 and above.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back