The meanings of gymnasts names

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sarah!

An article . . .

What's in a (gymnast's) name?

Have you ever wondered what a person’s name means? All names mean something, and the meanings usually originated a long time ago. Like my name, Sarah, means “very smart and pretty and talented and a really good writer and guitar player."

Okay, that’s not EXACTLY what it means, but it’s close enough for me.

Below is a list of a lot of first names of popular gymnasts followed by what their names mean, according to a number of pages I found on the Web. And of course my comments, where necessary. I only did Romanians, Russians and Americans.

ROMANIANS

gymnasts%20names%20mirela%20gina.jpg

Simona: to hear; to listen

Lavinia: name of the legendary mother of the Romanian people (I couldn’t find any definition for Milo’s first name.

Andrea: manly; virile; warrior (There’s no listing for Andreea with two E’s, so this is for Andrea. By the way, somewhere I read that Andreea Raducan said something like, “Nobody in Romania would name their daughter Andrea with one E, because it means something dirty.”

Gina: queen

Nadia: hope

Mirela: admire

Alexandra: man’s defender

Cristina: anointed; Christian

Daniela: God is my judge (No, because she would have beat Shushunova if that was the case.)

Aurelia: Golden

Gabriela: heroine of God

Maria: star of the sea

Claudia: lame (And she was anemic.)

Mariana: star of the sea

RUSSIANS

gymnasts%20names%20anna%20USE.jpg

Yelena: sun, ray, shining light

Svetlana: light

Ekaterina: pure

Lilia: lily (Lilies are what you lay across dead people’s chests, FYI.)

Viktoria: victory

Olga: blessed; holy; successful

Natalia: birthday

Tatiana: fairy queen (NOT painted bird)

Anna: grace; favor

Roza: rose

AMERICANS

gymnasts%20names%20dom%20USE.jpg

Shannon: old; ancient (I didn’t make this one up!)

Dominique: lord

Kerri: black

Amy: beloved

Jaycie: blue crested bird (How beautiful!)

Amanda: fit to be loved

Elise: God’s promise

Shawn: God is gracious (Let us thank Him for our tacos.)

Nastia: Resurrection

Elfie: elf; magical counsel; magical being; strength; white; noble; bright (Notice how Elfie’s name needs way more words to describe it than anybody else’s.)

Phoebe: bright; radiant

Kim: Cyneburg’s field. Huh?

(I spent all kinds of time trying to figure out what the hell Cyneburg’s field is. Here’s something called “Cyneburg’s Field” on esty.com, but it looks like all it is is a bunch of bracelets, and I doubt Kim was named after a bracelet.

An answer to what it means is on chacha.com: “Cyneburg's field meaning - Cyneburg (meaning 'royal forest') was an Old English personal name. In time, the place name.”

Another questionable website says it’s a “royal town.” So that’s where I’m going to leave it. Probably Cyneburg’s field was a reference in some ancient Celtic literature or some **** to a place that never really existed and was so obscure nobody even remembers it anymore.

Jamie: he who supplants

Kristen: anointed

Tasha: birthday

Now that you know what all these gymnasts’ names mean, go find out what YOUR name means. Here are a few sites that will be helpful.

Think Baby Names
Parents Connect
BabyHold

Oh, and the real meaning of Sarah is princess!

Tell everybody here what YOUR name means!

Sarah!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back