Parents The New Gym - Parkettes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

Most of you don't know me, but my DD was at a gym with a negative coaching environment for the pre-team and early levels. She was yelled at and belittled for not being strong and/or flexible enough. FYI, she's small for her age and not very strong, but she is very flexible.

Anyway, we switched to Parkettes. Now, Parkettes has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but I wanted to chime in and say it has been a very positive experience for her. She was very far behind the other devos when she got there and in 3 weeks, you can hardly tell that she is new. The coaches have been extremely patient with her. They've almost gotten her over her fear of vault which was instilled by a coach that yelled at the kids for any vaulting flaw. She was so afraid that she couldn't even jump on the spring board. She is now doing handstand flops and getting her jump off the springboard correct about 70-80% of the time.

For summer, they're having her do 2nd year devos 2 days a week and level 4 1 day a week. This way if she doesn't catch up to the other level 4's on time, she'll know the kids in devo's. If she does catch up, she'll know the level 4's. There teaching her lots of new skills in a fun environment with little pressure.

For the first time in a long time, she has a smile on her face or a look of determination when learning new skills.

I also want to say that I've watched the level 10's and elites practice and there is no yelling or berating that I at least have witnessed. It is a good place and as a parent I will always keep my eyes open, but that goes for any gym. I just wanted to go on record with positive news from Parkettes, since they've suffered enough bad press. Bad press is only hurtful to the gymnasts that train at the gym being criticized.

So, bottom line, Parkettes has been a good thing for my daughter. She is flourishing there and has had very good experiences with the coaching staff there. She is so excited to be learning new skills and is happy they have her in both classes. This way she can try her best to catch up, but doesn't feel pressured to.

Thanks Chalkbucket for a place to share our children's triumphs and trials.

mtbmom---so happy that your daughter has found a place where she feels happy and comfortable! I had never heard of this gym until I joined CB.

Glad that your DD is happy and thriving in her new gym. It really makes a huge difference when things click between gymnast and her coach/gym.

I am glad you posted this and hope your dd (and you) continue to have a great experience. I watched the CNN docu a few times, and did not find many issues with the club itself. (my only problem with the high level coaching was at competition - and this was really based on maybe 3 minutes worth of comments). Personally, I actually thought the docudrama made the parents look worse than the club.

btw, I think that CNN could have put a camera in many gyms across the country and been able to put a negative spin on it.

I'm so glad to hear she's liking the program at Parkettes. Do you know what your summer schedule is? Looks like my dd will be there 4 days a week, 8am-11:30am. Let me know how she does!

Hi Netty,

Thanks a lot to you for answering all my questions about the club...

DD will be there T-W-F 12-3 so we'll barely see each other.

However, if she competes level 4 in the fall, I'm sure they'll have some meets together, although not at the same time.

Sue Z

I am glad you posted this and hope your dd (and you) continue to have a great experience. I watched the CNN docu a few times, and did not find many issues with the club itself. (my only problem with the high level coaching was at competition - and this was really based on maybe 3 minutes worth of comments). Personally, I actually thought the docudrama made the parents look worse than the club.

btw, I think that CNN could have put a camera in many gyms across the country and been able to put a negative spin on it.

I couldn't agree more with your whole post. :)

Thanks everyone for your warm reception to CB and for your well wishes for DD. This really is a nice board and community.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back