WAG The next big skills (beyond compulsaries)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This suprises me, because i do the lowest level in my country for 13/14 year olds and 130 is the minimum? I'm starting to think more and more our system is a bit strange...

It doesn't really depend on level, more on height, weight, and your ability to run hard. At my gym I think everyone who went over the table was on 125 or 130 at that age.

My DD finished level 4 in December and is training 5/6/7 (i.e. they have no idea what they are going to compete next season yet) So far they've been working on the following:

Floor - mostly level 5 skills still. Back tucks, front tucks (both standing and not), the front handspring/front handspring pass, level 5 leap pass, etc. I'm pretty sure layouts will be coming soon.

Beam - they all have their back walk overs and back handsprings. Full turns. Split leap/sissone leap. Dd is working on connecting the bwo/bhs right now. They are also starting to work on the cartwheel back tuck dismount.

Vault - mostly still fhs on a higher setting. Some beginner drills for yurchenkos, but not too often yet.

Bars - Bars are interesting right now with her group. They spent at least 2 months after the level 4 state meet doing some drills for higher level skills (clear hip, baby giants, flyaways, giants), but mostly lots of strength/conditioning/shape work. There first goal was triple cast handstands +stoop on and then, once they got past that, then as many as they can do with good form. Dd can do 5 or 6 now. Then they really started pushing straight body cast handstands. Dd and another girl have that pretty solid. The other 3 are still working on them. Finally, they are getting past the drills and actually working on the skills. Most of them have the baby giant (although they still need some work). Clear hips are coming along. Flyaways are something they don't focus too much on until a little later from what I have heard. They still do drills and heavily spotted flyaways, but I think it will be a little while before they are doing them on their own. In the other events, they went right to level 5 skills so I was surprised with the relative slowness of the bars, but I think by taking the extra time to work on their kips and cast handstands they are going to be in a good position to get the skills quicker now and, hopefully, with good form. Time will tell I guess. I think they are expecting them to have their giants and clear hip to handstand (or close at least) by September or so.
What is a "baby giant"? I've seen that term used a lot on chalk bucket. Is it the same thing as a long hang pullover?

What is a "baby giant"? I've seen that term used a lot on chalk bucket. Is it the same thing as a long hang pullover?

Yes, but a baby giant can also mean anything that is like a giant but doesn't go straight up to handstand. I.e. a long hang pullover to horizontal that swings down under the bar immediately instead of coming back to the hips. We used to do those as a drill when our giants got too archy.

Your gym will still need to do at least one level 5 meet to score the girls out of compulsories. For that meet, they will need these new skills:

floor: 180 degrees split/switch leap, full turn, rbhsbt, fhsfhs, ft.
beam: full turn, back walkover, 2 second handstand.
bars: cast to horizontal, baby giant, flywaway dismount.

For level 6, you will need As and Bs. Since it is an optional level, you have choices. But the most common choices are:

floor: switch leap to 180, fhsft, rbhsbt, full or 1.5 turn, 180 straddle leap, tuck jump.
beam: bhs, bwo, full turn, 180 leap, ft or bt dismount
bars: cast (at least above horizontal but as close to handstand as possible) on high and low bars, flyaway dismount from (as close as possible to) handstand
Thanks- this is a useful list. I have a hard time seeing my DDs do many of these!!fyi- I'm in Canada and we don't need to score out of any level so that is why I said we didn't do level 5.

Pretty sure this is right. Our vault tables have settings in centimeters, so someone do let me know if I'm off.
0 = 100 cm
1 = 105 cm
2 = 110
3 = 115
4 = 120
5 = 125
6 = 130
7 = 135

Yup. The formula is (x-100)/5

I must be very silly... if if x = 0, (0-100)/5 is -20? And if x = 1, it's -99/5? Unless you have children jumping into holes on the floor, what have I missed?

Edit: I am very silly. X isn't the level, but the vault height. Now all is clear xD

I must be very silly... if if x = 0, (0-100)/5 is -20? And if x = 1, it's -99/5? Unless you have children jumping into holes on the floor, what have I missed?

Edit: I am very silly. X isn't the level, but the vault height. Now all is clear xD

Right; if you're going height (in cm) to setting (ie 0-7), it's (x-100)/5. To go from setting to height in cm, it's 5x+100

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back