Coaches The parents that dont get it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jabba

Coach
Let me just start by saying this forum gives me hope, because it shows how many parents DO get it. Most of mine do, too. But in my years coaching competitive team, I've had two parents now that have done a total 180 on me when they hear things they dont want to hear or believe about their daughters. With the one most recently there is just no accountability with the kid on anything. So I'm working against everything she's ever known to be true.

The most hurtful thing is that in both of these cases, I have given 150% in helping the kid. extra sessions, countless time pulled away from the other girls, countless talks to the parent (initiated by ME to try to help the kid). i've been to the good, the bad and the ugly in my career as a gymnast, and honestly I see both of these kids as "left behind gymnasts" in many other gyms. I dont want to be that kind of coach, so I went above and beyond, and then as soon as the parent doesnt get something, I get labeled the horrible coach and told i'm mean somehow.

I think a big problem at our gym is that it's a brand new team and there's no precedent for parents or gymnasts. We struggle with a lot of things because of that, but my other girls are really getting it now, and their parents are too. I'm very thankful for that, just very disappointed with this one. I'm not sure I'll ever understand how everything you do can go right out the window when a parent doesnt want to admit their kid (or even sometime they, themselves) screwed up. I just pray to never be the parent that says "not my kid," and am very thankful my parents weren't like that with me.

Just needed to vent...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back