WAG The power of seeing "the big girls" practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
We recently had a two days long camp for our itty bitty team girls (6 and 7 year olds). During the 8 hour days the girls had two gymnastics sessions and also running and dance practices. During lunch break our elite track gymnasts had their practice and they allowed us to come in and watch. The little girls were thrilled because for some of them it was the first time to be able to see the "big girls" practice (because usually elites train in different building).

Usually these little ones can't sit still for a 10 seconds but now they were very quiet. I coud only hear some "oohs" and "wows". The big girls were doing their floor routines and some bars and beam. In here we don't do the floor routines to music before optional levels so it was so cool that the girls could see for the first time those real floor routines!

Here is a link for a video about our elite track girls practicing. I think this is pretty well made video:

Voimistelu - YouTube

Haha it's amazing how much it can inspire them - I still remember some of the gymnasts I looked up to when I did gymnastics before I quit for the first time. It's interesting because now I am one of the 'big girls' and often see kids watching me with dropped jaws. It's always nice to see that because you know how good they feel seeing some cool skills. Whenever I notice any of them I try and say hi whenever I can or at least wave because I know it means the world to them.

Years ago when my gymmie was 6 her team would do team building days. It was awesome because the little ones like my dd who were 6 and 7 would get to do workouts with the 9s and 10s. I have 2 pictures from those days, one where a 16 yo lvl 10 was holding dd's leg in a handstand on beam and the other one where my dd was 'holding' the 16 yo's legs on beam. They are priceless.

That video just made me cry!

My dd is only 4 and on preteam, and she loves watching the "big girls." To her, almost all the girls are big girls. She exclaims in glee when she sees a skill she kind of recognizes, like an aerial is a "no hand cartwheel!" And watches in amazement as they do a skill she can do (like a roundoff) but then they add all these "back flips and stuff" to it, which she knows she can't do. And she says with confidence that someday, when she's a big girl, she'll be able to do that.

My daughter's practices take place during the time our 9's and 10's are practicing, and we're in a fairly small gym so the girls get to see them quite a bit. Sometimes after practice, the big girls run their bar routines for the little girls (pre-teamers) to watch, and they love it and cheer so loud for them. It's really cute! One of our 10's actually assists with their practices one day a week, and at the last meet a couple of the girls got to see her compete, and they were so cute cheering so loud for her.

The downside I suppose is that now she thinks she's ready to work giants and back tucks. I didn't even know she knew those terms, haha!

Watching the big girls is one of my DD favorite things. Makes me so happy that she looks up to these girls and not some of the celebrity 'role models' out there.

Yup, they do inspire and it amazes me that all the younger girls know the names of all the highest level optional girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back