Coaches The role of handsprings (both front and back) in development of high-level gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
While handsprings (both forward and backward) are very important developmental steps for low-level gymnasts, it seems to me they are becoming less and less important tot he construction of high-level routines. The front handspring seems all but extinct at the top levels of the sport (especially on the men's side) and even back handsprings are becoming less common.

Front saltos are, more and more, being done from a punch (or connected from a backwards skill with a forward landing).

Backward saltos are, more and more, being done directly out of a roundoff.

There are a number of clear advantages to this. First, no opportunity for form deductions on the handsprings. Second and perhaps more importantly, removing the handspring decreases the distance taken up by the pass, allowing the gymnast to more easily keep the pass in bounds.

I think at this point it's clear that front handsprings, while crucial in the development of strong tumbling at the lower levels, are generally unnecessary for the construction of high-level routines. This being the case, at what point does it become unnecessary to continue training the skill? Should optional-level gymnasts continue spending time practicing a skill they will likely never use in a routine?

With back handsprings, things are a bit more complicated, as the skill is still used in high-level routines. What are the mechanical advantages/disadvantages of doing salto skills out of a backhandspring as opposed to a roundoff? Is there a point where a back handspring is no longer necessary, where a gymnast would be better of training saltos directly out of a roundoff?

Both front and back handsprings allow for a more horizontal take-off, allowing tripple fulls and double front fulls. I'm sure you can do these skills out of a round off or a punch, but I doubt seriously if they will look as impressive.

Just my opinion...

At my gym I see the higher level optionals training them in tumbling series. For example: fhs, front layout, front layout, fhs, fhs, front layout, front tuck. Backward tumbling I generally see is bhs, whipback, layout, bhs, bhs. It always starts with the handspring. As I understand it, it's to reinforce the position and set of each skill while maintaining momentum. I don't know that their coaches have any regard for handspring versus round off, but I imagine routines are tailored around keeping the gymnast in bounds and score potential.

Now that I think about it, I do see lots of round offs in routines, but not handsprings. Though in drills, I always see handsprings. Now I'm curious about this and will ask at work!

What are we defining as "high level"? I really think front handspring is still pretty common in JO levels 8-10. Whether it SHOULD be is another story - I would agree in many cases it's more efficient to train some of these skills from a punch. But I would say overall in the JO program, the training of front tumbling is a bit weaker than back overall.

If not using the front handspring in a routine, training bounder series from a punch is still effective and important. Can do them over series of 8 inchers (hands on the 8 inchers) or up to mats.

But for most gymnasts that will stall out around L8, the FHS is pretty important. If they are doing the FHS well, likely they will able to do a better front salto out of it. Some girls are weaker at the punch. And the smaller ones can't compress the floor as effectively. I believe this is just one reason you'll see more punch front combinations at the NCAA level than you'll see among 10 year old L8s (who might be very talented...but getting more from that FHS relatively).

I'm talking only about WAG because I have very limited knowledge beyond that. But I think it would be a mistake at this point in time to conclude the FHS is "extinct" from WAG or of diminishing importance, because while I think there's some truth to it, only in certain situations. Also we've seen a change over time from front step out to back tumbling into this bounding tumbling starting from FHS, with FHS FLO FT the current "gold standard" of the L8 front two salto pass.

The value of the FHS is before the gymnast is as strong at the punch, they can work harder level series from the FHS. It could probably be argued that you could do this on track as well (punch easier) but they can learn to compete it and control it on floor. If they can do FHS FLO FT and FHS FLO FLO, when they are 16+ and can pound the floor, they're going to have an easy transition. If we had them just doing less effective FLO from punch where they can't work out of it, it's a waste when they could be using another technique (which I believe can be very effective if taught correctly in momentum transfer).

Edit: Anecdotally I learned everything out of a FHS then started punching. Much later.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back