Parents The stiff yet strong and powerful gymnast...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ladybugsmom

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hi there,

My 8 year old Level 7 is super strong and powerful, but is stiff as a board when it comes to the dancing and graceful part of floor and beam, and has difficulty with keeping her legs super straight due to her muscle mass. She's really just a little walking 'muscle.' Would greatly appreciate advice on how to help her overcome this and to improve flexibility? Ballet? Yoga? Repetition? Something else? Thanks in advance!!

I think I have expressed it on the boards before. I am a huge advocate for ballet training. I think it definitely helps make a gymnast look that much more polished when performing, especially floor & beam. Ballet is all about lengthening the muscles - standing tall, good posture,
There has been concern for conflicting 'techniques' that are taught. But i cross trained for over 5 years and never had an issue with that.

I think I have expressed it on the boards before. I am a huge advocate for ballet training. I think it definitely helps make a gymnast look that much more polished when performing, especially floor & beam. Ballet is all about lengthening the muscles - standing tall, good posture,
There has been concern for conflicting 'techniques' that are taught. But i cross trained for over 5 years and never had an issue with that.

Thank you so much!! My daughter will take Yoga once a week and some ballet as part of her gymnastics curriculum, just not sure how much ballet she will actually take?

How much ballet is effective? At least once weekly or more? Thanks a million again!!!

I think ballet is a great supplement to gymnastics training. My daughter is going to do some drop in ballet classes this summer. They don’t currently do any ballet specific training in gymnastics.

When I did RG between the ages of 8-11, our training was 11 hours per week and at least 3 of those were just dedicated to ballet training with a dance instructor. It made a huge difference in technique. So yes, one ballet class per week would be really effective

Ballet most deffinatly. There are also companies that come out or hold camps for “artistic” skills. Such as choreography and dance for gymnasts specifically. There’s a company called procision choreography which have an amazing program. Maybe try seeing if your club can help hold a artistic clinic or such.

You just described my daughter to a T!!!! We started ballet a year ago and it has done amazing things for her. She also has personalized flexibility conditioning that she has to do and that has helped as well.

When I did RG between the ages of 8-11, our training was 11 hours per week and at least 3 of those were just dedicated to ballet training with a dance instructor. It made a huge difference in technique. So yes, one ballet class per week would be really effective

I agree with Kiwi. Ballet is part of my DD training within the gym program. I have a young DD training level 9 and it has helped tremendously with poise, form, flexibility and shapes in her routines.

Flexibility acquired at a young age through whatever means, coupled with strength makes for a great recipe for your young daughters success. Good luck, it sounds like she has a great future in gymnastics!

Hi Flippin,

Do you take your daughter to an iutside facility for ballet? How often does she take it? Also, what type of personized flexibilty condition exercises does she do? She greatly needs help with this. Thanks!!!

Thank you so much!! My daughter will take Yoga once a week and some ballet as part of her gymnastics curriculum, just not sure how much ballet she will actually take?

How much ballet is effective? At least once weekly or more? Thanks a million again!!!

I trained ballet as supplement to gymnastics twice a week. & I have a background in both RAD and Cecchetti Ballet and completed examinations in both. Any ballet would be beneficial, and although all ballet training is disciplined - I personally found RAD to be a dryer style of ballet (almost more strict/disciplined). Cecchetti is more upbeat, and I personally preferred it.

I trained ballet as supplement to gymnastics twice a week. & I have a background in both RAD and Cecchetti Ballet and completed examinations in both. Any ballet would be beneficial, and although all ballet training is disciplined - I personally found RAD to be a dryer style of ballet (almost more strict/disciplined). Cecchetti is more upbeat, and I personally preferred it.

I would also like to chime in in favour of Cecchetti. I used to dance Cecchetti and loved it- and there are a few reasons I think it might really suit a gymnast who was using it to help with performative aspects of gymnastics. There is a real focus within the technique on developing musicality and conveying a sense of enjoyment in the movement to the audience. Also, the style of dance is very audience focused- for example head and arm placement is very different from RAD to enable the dancer to maintain a relationship with the audience as he/she moves through the positions. It seems to me like those things could be really beneficial for a gymnast. It's much harder to find Cecchetti schools in this country though, which is a pity. Most places here do RAD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back