The ups and down of this year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippersmom

It has certainly been a year of growth for DD and I. We left a gym right before the competition season started. So many reasons. I was very involved during our previous two years there doing team related stuff -meet registrations, meet director, etc. It wasn’t without small bumps in the road, but overall it was a good two years.

This summer the owner brought in a new coach, who brought a large number of girls with her. Didn’t have a problem with that, but had so many issues with owner. I had to work more this year (partly due to greatly increasing the prices from the previous year), and I found limited time to help with team and no longer was able to help (there were other parents who volunteered to help). Well, I guess at that, my DD and I were no longer appreciated. I was lied to about many things, sometimes about other people, sometimes about my DD. I just didn’t feel right keeping my DD at a gym where I couldn’t trust the owner (who also coaches). If I can’t trust them, how can I expect my DD to or put my DD in their hands?

Well, the gym switch has been great. It has been a different environment, but one that is working for both of us. Within a couple of weeks, she was back to full turns and dance routines throughout the house, something I hadn’t realized she had stopped doing. It is no longer that she is doing something because she might get yelled at or told she is not good enough, but she is trying because she wants to do it and she loves it. She might have scored higher this year at old gym, but I wouldn’t trade that for seeing her being back to loving it. And I think I’ve need this time away from gym stuff too. I have enjoyed just being the parent, there to support their kid whether she places in the top or not at all. It’s too easy to get caught up in all the other stuff if you let yourself.

So she is working hard with a mock meet this weekend, then states in 2 works. I hope it all comes together for her, she has had some great routines, but hasn’t really hit that 4 out of 4 yet. Either way, it’s been a great year for her and I’m so proud of her.

It's great to hear from you flippersmom! It sounds like you guys have been through a lot but I am so glad that the gym move worked out for the best in the long run. I am so with you on the fact that I too would rather have my dd loving it and happy then possibly being at "a more successful" gym. In the end, the child's happiness, motivation and self-worth is worth so much more than medals, team placements or being associated with that "winning gym". Good luck to dd at States! I am sure she will do great!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back