Thighs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
Ok, so I have started wearing shorter shorts since the weather has been getting warmer. But, on the uneven bars, it hurts my thighs, and now not only do I have hand rips(ok, one rip, got my first one on Friday), but now I am shearing the skin off of my thighs and bruising them up. I tried chalking them, but it didn't really help. Suggestions MORE than appreciated

wow skin coming off your thighs? :confused:
lol that doesn't sound good, i wear short shorts as well to gym and haven't experienced bruising or tearing of the skin on my thighs. this week i hurt my hips on the bars but that's a different story.

Oooh. Me too. I don't wear shorts, just a normal-cut leo, and I've had major hip brusing problems. I look like an under-fed druggie or something. One of my bruises bled the other day, too.

I would say, go back to the long shorts! Or wear half-leggings or something. Or try to keep going and see if it gets better. Is your skin especially dry? That could be a problem.

OOOH, I didn't even think of my legs being dry contributing to it. Maybe I should put lotion on my legs before practice. Or better yet, maybe rub a little deodorant on them, b/c that wont come off with sweat like lotion will.

nicci,
If you're experiencing thigh bar rips or scrapings on your thighs on bars, you need to work harder at keeping pressure off your thighs by using more upper body strength. Sometimes a gymnast will relax the upper body as the lower body rotates around the bar. This is not ideal mechanics. Like for instance, a back hip circle. You may feel your upper thighs and hips contact but the majority of your body weight should be supported by strong upper body strength and a strong grip. I wouldn't use lotion on your thighs to do bars. It will accumulate on the bar and cake it, making it slippery. Chalk is fine. Try doing casts in a row concentrating on having your body weight supported by your upper body. A good drill for gaining upper body and abdominal strength for bars is to do a handstand on a floor bar and have a spotter lower you to the bar (staying in a hollow, tight position) until your hips are on the bar. You will feel the muscles being used that are needed for strong bar work. I hope these suggestions are of some help.

I put quite a bit of chalk on my thighs and it seemed to help, but I think you may be right Little Lady. We shall see how tonight goes

I am just putting tons of chalk on them and hoping they toughen up a little bit. Because I am not going to be allowed to wear leggings or shorts at a meet. I think I am developing a chalk habit lol

wow :0
i've never heard of thigh rips.... sounds painful.
could it be the bar? is it rough? or does it have ridges? like wooden bars? or is it like that plexi glass stuff? try putting chalk on the bar in the middle of the chalk marks to make the bar smoother, but try to lean more on your hands and focus on your upper body so you dont scrape the bar as much.
good luck!

try putting tape around your thighs and that should help i always have rips there and i just put tape on my thighs and ta da problem solved lol

nicci,
If you're experiencing thigh bar rips or scrapings on your thighs on bars, you need to work harder at keeping pressure off your thighs by using more upper body strength. Sometimes a gymnast will relax the upper body as the lower body rotates around the bar. This is not ideal mechanics. Like for instance, a back hip circle. You may feel your upper thighs and hips contact but the majority of your body weight should be supported by strong upper body strength and a strong grip. I wouldn't use lotion on your thighs to do bars. It will accumulate on the bar and cake it, making it slippery. Chalk is fine. Try doing casts in a row concentrating on having your body weight supported by your upper body. A good drill for gaining upper body and abdominal strength for bars is to do a handstand on a floor bar and have a spotter lower you to the bar (staying in a hollow, tight position) until your hips are on the bar. You will feel the muscles being used that are needed for strong bar work. I hope these suggestions are of some help.

I agree with LittleLady.
But if your thighs are scraping, try moisturiser:)
good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back