Parents Thinking of starting a booster club group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
I have recently taken over as president of our close to non-existent booster club. It is our hope as the new parents taking over to revitalize the group and create a parent community for our gym.

We don't manage meet fees and such as some other gyms do but do have plans to raise some funds for workshops and camps for the girls, scholarships and other things to benefit the team girls. We also play a large role in running our home meet and providing spirit and support for our girls.

Anyway, I really have no idea what I am doing and there isn't really anyone to ask as the former board is gone and we are all new and the club is a total mess.

I know, what am I thinking, right?

Anyway, I have tons of questions and know that many of you are or have been involved in your booster clubs as well and I was wondering if it made sense to start a group dedicated to discussing booster club issues.

I would be happy to sponsor the group with whatever responsibility that entails, but I wanted to see if there was enough interest to warrant creating the group.

Good idea or no?

I am sure the group may be a great idea, but a thought about everything becoming private groups. I joined this forum to learn about all aspects of this sport and how it applies to others in comparison to myself.

There are groups that I don't feel that I can belong to as I don't meet the criteria, but I would still love to read and learn with everyone else. I understand forming private groups to protect from lurkers and bad situations, but wonder what the road would lead to if all of a sudden everything was just talked about in private groups.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not meaning anything in a bad way, but I really enjoy being able to look up all new posts and threads and learn what may be in my future.

Good luck with you endeavour!

I am with Margg, the only reason for the groups is privacy and really booster clubs are pretty common and shouldn't need to go underground.

I also have worried that too many private groups will discourage new members from joining as there will be little left to see on the main forums.

Feel free to make as many booster club threads as you want, look up the bajillion old threads as well. Posting about these issues in private groups would also make them un searchable to future members.

I started as president at our gym 2 1/2 years ago when our head coach left to start a gym a few miles down the road and some of the families followed. I'd be glad to answer any questions and share ideas. Feel free to pm me or post away! Although our BC does handle all the expenses other than monthly tuition, the main reason I took on the position was because I was interested in providing support and education for parents and to foster a community feel.

I've been on the board of our booster club for many years, so will offer advice as I can. our booster club was established when I joined and we do pay for meet fees, but also run a meet ourselves, help with the meet our club runs, support the girls as we can in other ways, so I'll be happy to jump in on any posts here. Have to admit, I wouldn't join a private group about them as I don't really ask for advice myself.

Well, that is why I asked first :). I certainly wasn't trying to go underground or even planning on anything private or restricted. I just thought about all the blathering I might do with all the silly questions I am inevitably going to have and was really just trying to spare all of you that have no interest in my booster club woes. And also, I have been searching and reading and information is somewhat disconnected and not easy to find. I was really thinking more for consolidation purposes.

But, I am more than happy to let it roll here out in the open. I will start putting my list of questions together. :)

sent you a PM with the details of what our gym went through when going through this same thing.

it doesn't have to be a private group it could be a new public forum open to all dedicated to booster clubs. I think that would be good as there seems to always be lots of questions and comments on them.

it doesn't have to be a private group it could be a new public forum open to all dedicated to booster clubs. I think that would be good as there seems to always be lots of questions and comments on them.

I would think gym management is the right place for booster club and fee type threads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back