Parents Thinking of trying new gyms..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On the handstand, all it will take is time and practice. If he's having trouble holding, he can work on them against the wall. DS and his teammates still do that to improve press holds. I hope this works out for him!

Thank you x
He's been practising against the wall at home but he's arching his back :-o
Grr what is it with boys ;-) nail it and then lose it :-(

I'm hoping to speak to his current coach on Tuesday and tell her what's happening (we get on well so I'm hoping she will see this as progression) and hopefully she might help him a bit more of these things to give him a chance of being chose for more hours at this bigger gym x

I would not be too concerned about a 6yo not being a able to hold a handstand, as long as he can hit a good handstand position before rolling forward. I've found that spending time holding a handstand against a wall (chest facing wall, hands as close to the wall as possible) has helped my son be able to hold it longer on his own. On non-gym nights I'll challenge him to a contest to see who can hold it against the wall the longest. At first I would always win, but lately he's been able to hold it for longer than I can.

I would think that 6 is the perfect age to start teaching bar skills, but to work on strength you could get a pull-up bar and practice pull-ups and leg lifts.

We have a trapeze in the garden (I've looked for a junior high bar but here in the uk they are around £350) so I think he's going to keep practicing on that..
Thanks for the tip on the handstand .... I didn't think about doing with it chest to the wall..:)
See you can tell I'm not a gymnast x

get a chin up bar (Asda £6) and let him try chins on that, an yes tummy against the wall.

Don't get home equipment, the only thing that may help later on is a mushroom, but that is down the line. dish and arch holds may help with tummy strength for handstands

That's great - thanks everyone.
Have purchased a chin up bar today and he's managed to wiggle his way to one chin up :) bless him! (It's more than I can do ;-))

He can do dish and arch really well so will try and get him to start holding them... They teach them to rock in the arch position for 30 seconds too..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back