Parents This is an expensive sport....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5 year old L3 daughter expenses
classes (6 hrs) plus one hr a week of TOPs= $145.00 month
$575.00 for all meet registration, coaches travel etc.
$330.00 for competition leo, warm-up, scrunchie and bag
Travel and hotel to 2 far away meets $500.00 or so
Privates are reasonable $25 and hour to coach (gym makes nothing on privates)
gas- gym is 45 minutes each way two times a week ??? LOTS

IT's very expensive! why didn't DD have picked soccer or something!
oh well, it's worth all the $$$ in the world to make our kids happy and well adjusted!

Wow! I am surprised that almost everyone has an expensive camp too.

I guess my point is:
Total Camp Week Hours: 25
Total Regular Workout hours 18

* If you do not go to camp, you do your reg. workouts hours
*Camp also includes lunch breaks and one afternoon they go do a fun non-gymnastics activity.

Even if they get 1/2 hrs lunch per day = 2.5 hours
Plus the afternoon they have their fun time- 2 hours

Total time not doing gymnastics 4.5 hours
Actual camp time is 20.5

Only 2.5 more hours for $135!!

I don't get it!!!:confused:

So my thought is: All the extra money for what? It is not really much extra gym time.

Do they bring in special guest coaches for the camp? If so, this could be the reason for the additional fees because they would have to pay them.

Our camp is in addition to the regular practice. It is from 9 am until noon, five days, so 15 hours for $135.

Our camp was more expensive because they brought in 4 coaches from other gyms, 1 college student(gymnast/dance) who did the group dance routines and a coach that works mainly as a consultant with gyms and the national team(does not have a gym affiliation). It really was a benefit to have other coaches around to work with the girls plus our own staff. We also had quite a few girls from other gyms come and do the camp.

Ok Put us in the expensive catagory.

Tuition NOW 160 for 10-12 hours a week.
Camp L4 camp 165 for 20 hours (in addition to regular practice) Mandatory
Competitive camp 350 Optional. We did 3/4 of a week. 40 hours (no regular practice)
Dance 30 for 3 weeks
Private lessons 30 an hour
Competitive leo 150
Warm up 175
gym bag 45
USAG number 50
Warm up leo 45
Registration fee 30

Ok now that I am on vacation I did not want to see those numbers

Well I think the camp is quite cheap compared to camps we have here.. gym or skating wise!

And its not a cheap sport but its alot cheaper then skating!! Lol! :)

I do think the leo sounds a little expensive. But like others said it depends on what is on it.

But like I said again.. Its still cheaper then skating lol! Skating dresses can easily be 3-4 times that!

We are considering switching sports to save money lol!

Well I think the camp is quite cheap compared to camps we have here.. gym or skating wise!

And its not a cheap sport but its alot cheaper then skating!! Lol! :)

I do think the leo sounds a little expensive. But like others said it depends on what is on it.

But like I said again.. Its still cheaper then skating lol! Skating dresses can easily be 3-4 times that!

We are considering switching sports to save money lol!

I can totally agree with you. DS is a hockey player and I know this things can be way more expensive than DD's Gymnastics. They have talked to me till they are blue in the face trying to get me to start DD in figure skating. The ice fees and instructional time is KILLER in that sport. We have also looked at hiring a skating coach for Privates for DS and we were floored as to how much it was going to cost. 30 minutes of skating was going to be 75 just for the instructor not counting the rink fees for the ice time. :eek:. That was only for 30 minutes. And of course he was going to need them as weekly's for at least a month to get some things corrected in his skating style.

So I totally feel your pain.

Yeah - my ds does hockey and they wanted him to do a travel league. I was like - um - he's 6 - I don't think so. It would have cost a couple of thousand a year. He enjoys the in house league just fine right now.

Dd's comp leo this yr was $225. Dd gets a new comp leo every yr - this yr's being the most expensive. In the past it was about $150 - $175.

We have no booster club, so everything comes out of parent's pockets.

Tuition going up to $385 a month - 20 hours
Monthly Coaches' Fee - $125.

All meet fees are seperate and due as the meet comes up (about month before.)

We are using the warm-up from last year thankfully and bag too, which dd never uses.

My DD is a level 5 and her summer tuition for 20 hrs per week is $300.00. We did not have any sort of camp this year.

Competition leo and warm ups: $300.00 (using bag from last year)

Summer leo and t-shirt: $40.00

Team Coaches Education fee: $ 175.00 for the year

USAG Fee: $48.00

Meet Fees for the season: $540.00

Unfortunately we do not have a booster club either. I am with the other mom about getting a second job. It would HAVE to be close to the gym. Otherwise, there is no other way!! INSANE!!!

ROTFLMAO and PMP!

I think I just busted a kidney laughing. Can you just imagine all of us trying to ebay our kidneys to pay for gymnastics?

I double dog dare you to post this in the fundraiser thread Bog! And what do you mean to pay for next year, I have tuition and my FIRST assessment fee coming up this month. How much will a kidney go for? And DH can sell his next year right? Good I got 2 years paid for.

Just wanted to brag about my fees for the year, I think I may win for most expensive! We love our gym, but everytime we blink there is an increase.

Team leo $35.00 (discounted because of some problems w/GK)
Comp leo (we were supposed to get 2 years out of it but because of problems had to re-order and new one from another company for $135.00
Assessment fee: includes Comp fees, coaches expenses, USAG membership, ect..$1,350 yr for L4/L5
Tuition for L4 275.00/month for 10.5 hrs

I double dog dare you to post this in the fundraiser thread Bog! And what do you mean to pay for next year, I have tuition and my FIRST assessment fee coming up this month. How much will a kidney go for? And DH can sell his next year right? Good I got 2 years paid for.

$18,000 to the right buyer, I am hoping for a trip to somewhere warmer than Canada this winter as well as the gym fees.
:D

Hey I just thought of something...:Idea:

I should only need one kidney, one eye, and one lung:cool:

:rotfl:

A farmer in France just had two arms attached to his stumps from a donor. Perhaps you could hand over an arm and a leg, after all that is exactly what this sport costs!:p:rotfl::crackup::warped::eye-popping::jaw-dropping::wide-eyed:

Gosh I love those little things when I am sleep deprived.

Perhaps you could hand over an arm and a leg, after all that is exactly what this sport costs!

Yeah, in total agreement !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back