This sucks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We may be in a similar position in a few weeks. I know my daughter's gym will do the best they can to keep things safe. Still, I cannot justify sending my kid to practice, particularly as more and more data unfolds about potential implications for children. But I'm so, so sad for my daughter. All of this is just to say: you're not alone.

Finding out the adult team was going to be considered team when the gym reopens has opened so many mixed feelings for me. I honestly thought there was a good chance we were going to be completely dropped--adult gym insurance is expensive. Not only are they keeping us, but we're officially team! That is an amazing feeling.

But I'm not sold on the reopening timelines for my state, my husband has chronic health issues that I'm concerned about, and I work in public health (fortunately from home for the foreseeable future). My anxiety has skyrocketed as I realized I'm going to have to make this decision, and soon.

We found out they will be doing zoom 2x a week still, so I’m not the only parent not sending my kid back yet. We are considering private lessons but haven’t made a final decision on that yet.

It’s great that they are offering the Zoom option! I think gyms and other businesses will quickly realize that they are going to lose some of their customers permanently if they don’t accommodate varying risk preferences.

Interesting how different it is. I wonder if it is different in areas that were hit hard with cases and deaths. All the parents I know from when my daughter competed have sent their kids back to team gym workout in Arizona. But I did hear they are still offering Zoom workouts somehow for the kids who are not comfortable.

My kid will be coaching again soon and I'm not sure how I feel. Will depend on how many people they allow in the gym and what safety precautions they are taking. She will wear a mask (though she is worried about breathing in a humid, hot gym in a mask), but still it is a risk.

It’s good to “see “ you again Mariposa. How old is your daughter and what level is she coaching? What has she been up to since she retired?

My older daugher is also a retired gymnast turned coach (just turned 17 this week). She's been asked to start back June 1, and as of right now we said no, we let one go we have to let the other. we will see, I feel like my opinion changes weekly.

I feel like this is such a tough personal decision each family needs to make and some kids are just going to to be upset and that’s too bad. You have to do what is in the best interest of your family.

We sent my daughter back to gym because we are in AZ where total cases and total deaths are very low. The heat is picking up which should help keep risk low. We have no high risk family members and reduce our risk by not going to large gatherings and diligent hand hygiene and such. Also, our gym is keeping total number of people in the gym low with a lot of extra cleaning and distancing for the girls pretty well. I feel good about it.

Not every area is low risk yet and each family has its acceptable level of risk to look at. When she is older, hopefully she will understand that you were doing your best to keep her safe and healthy. I wish all gyms would continue the zoom option for the families that can’t risk it or aren’t ready yet. Then the girls could continue to condition and such. It would help with income loss as well.

Well, we are joining the opt-out club. Just got an e-mail that the gym is reopening Monday. I replied saying that although we have confidence that the gym will take all possible precautions, the inadequate public health response from our state and local governments makes all indoor public spaces a no-go for our family at this time. I suggested that we would be happy to continue with Zoom training if they decide to offer it. This does indeed suck. :(

Well, we are joining the opt-out club. Just got an e-mail that the gym is reopening Monday. I replied saying that although we have confidence that the gym will take all possible precautions, the inadequate public health response from our state and local governments makes all indoor public spaces a no-go for our family at this time. I suggested that we would be happy to continue with Zoom training if they decide to offer it. This does indeed suck. :(

Sadly, we are too. :( Our gym is open for team despite not officially being approved to open. I had to say no. I understand they are in a terrible situation after being closed for 3 months. I wish there were other options. I wish this wasn't happening at all.

I feel like this is such a tough personal decision each family needs to make and some kids are just going to to be upset and that’s too bad. You have to do what is in the best interest of your family.

We sent my daughter back to gym because we are in AZ where total cases and total deaths are very low. The heat is picking up which should help keep risk low. We have no high risk family members and reduce our risk by not going to large gatherings and diligent hand hygiene and such. Also, our gym is keeping total number of people in the gym low with a lot of extra cleaning and distancing for the girls pretty well. I feel good about it.

Not every area is low risk yet and each family has its acceptable level of risk to look at. When she is older, hopefully she will understand that you were doing your best to keep her safe and healthy. I wish all gyms would continue the zoom option for the families that can’t risk it or aren’t ready yet. Then the girls could continue to condition and such. It would help with income loss as well.
You might want to check Arizona numbers again...they are climbing pretty fast. I am hoping they don't shut everything down again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back