This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jmr: great job on learning your kip. that skill takes forever.
wrist felt good on sunday. i did full beam routines (minus the dismount), and my tumbling passes for my floor routine. i'm a little sore today!
on thursday i changed my beam flight series to a cartwheel swing thru, round-off. it was weird to do a round off on the beam instead of using it as a dismount.

Finally, tumbling was successful today! I have yet to work any bars, but I guess one thing @ a time, right? Anyway, my bhs are getting back to what they were when I was a kid, my back tucks were alone today...YAY! FHS & front tuck connections were so much fun! Good day....:D

Woohoo, back to the gym today after 3 weeks away, I'm going to be sore tomorrow though. Argh, strength and flexibility seem to disappear so quickly!

it was a standing chin up and I jump no more:) next goal is hanging chin up

For getting the hanging chin up, try doing 'negatives' where you start w/ chin over the bar, and lower yourself slowly and under control all the way to full hang (with feet held up if you would hit the floor due to ht. of the bar). Also, try a tiny swinging cheat to help you by like swinging your body, then gradually reduce how much you let yourself cheat.

I actually did a few RO-BHS tonight instead of RO-LO. It just feels so much easier to flip... so much more natural. He says I'm rushing it and it definitely feels that way. On top of that I'm coming crooked out of my round-off. I'm getting a little frustrated but at least I'm progressing, even if it is slowly.

Goal for Wednesday: long hang kip

wrist feels great, but the hand is still not happy. i tumbled on it last week and it is still sore.
stuck 3 of 5 beam routines. fell on the full turns both times - go figure!
3 floor routines w/o tumbling (i'll save that for the meet)
and bars - bars, hmmm. just not feeling on the endurance thing. i put my straddle back in today and i wasn't able to finish a whole routine. i'll start on bars on sunday. i do much better when i start my practice on bars.

Ugg I know what you mean about putting releases into the routine. Usually I can't get thru the routine at first and then when I do, it's not pretty. But it does get better the more you work it. Starting on bars sounds like a good idea.

Started working on my back tuck on tramp yesterday. I asked for some drills to work towards back handspring, and that's what I got! (Apparently he wants me to get the feel of going backwards without having to worry about my hands first)

I'm no closer to my kip, but managed to get my back hip circle back again (no idea why, but periodically I manage to freak myself out about them and refuse to commit)

We also did a cardio circuit at the end, and ouch am I sore!!

No worries Z. Its very common to suddenly lose skills or become freaked out by them. It happens all the time with me for backward elements :eek:

I could kick up into a handstand against a wedge finally alone! :) Also started learning a backward roll down a wedge! I have a new coach now because the old coach's got a new job and she couldn't do a backward roll well so she never taught us. :p Also did a back hip circle with help! :) I'm gradually getting less scared of doing it now.

This week I got my front with a full twist, my back layout with a full twist and I tore my ACL and took myself out of gymnastics for at least 6 months if not forever :(

we decided to go to the aau jr. olympics over the nationals in fl. so last week i have been working on a minimum of three routines on every event. i'm pretty sore this week because of all of the time i took off with my wrist/hand. i forgot that i like vault. i'm working on fhs technique with the goal of a hand full.
ivyagogo do you have to have surgery?

Ivy, so sorry to hear about your ACL. It seems to be injury time lol. I too have a ruptured ACL and am meeting with the surgeon this week. Youll want to probably get that fixed in order to return, but think positively. People tear ACLs all the time, and if yours isnt a full tear, a return to the gym is very possible, even if it is a full tear. I have full intentions of being back by December, if not sooner. Think positive, Doctors don't know everything, and they don't take into consideration determination!!

Oh, but I did work on glide swings, b/c I want to get my kip when I get back- I did a few where it felt very smooth with the transition of whacking my shins to the bar, and have started working strength because I want to get my press handstand!!

Nicci -

Yes, I have to have surgery. I am hopeful to return to the gym, but I will probably never throw a full again. I will be way too scared. My husband and I are are really at odds with each other about gymnastics. He never wanted me to return to gymnastics. He was always afraid I'd get hurt and I was always adamant that I wouldn't.

Definitely not a good week for me even though I got my twist.

Sorry about the injuries guys. The fear related to the injury will slowly subside. I was super freaked about doing standing back tucks again after my fall and I have zero fear when doing them now.

I made 2 front hip circles last night after only being spotted 9 times ever. I'm super excited. Can't wait until Wednesday to see if I still have it. I'm well on my way to having the whole level 5 routine. I also managed some back extension rolls last night. I kinda pushed myself into handstand so I want to try again with straight arms.

Now if I could only get over the fear of round off back handsprings...

Good job Tina! How is your standing bhs? Is it just the connection of it that you are afraid of? Have you done RO jump on a fat mat or fall into the resipit? I found that helped immensley for me to not be afraid of the going back feeling

Yep. I've done tons of round-off flat backs onto a resi and onto a 2 stacked mats in the pit. And those do help a lot. My problem is that as soon as I decide to do everything together, my round-off is inevitably crooked. I was doing round-off on the tumbletrak with the bhs onto 2 stacked mats in the pit but the problem was getting worse. So now I've gone back to doing round-off stop then bhs with no arm swing all on the tumbletrak. I just need to speed up the connection. I found drawing a line down the tumbletrak to be really helpful. And I got fussed at for not going for it because I really have no excuse at this point. I don't trust the Wednesday coach to spot me on it and there's no class memorial day so I have 2 weeks to mentally prepare myself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back