This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last night I told the coach I wanted to learn FHS, he said first I have to learn handstand props. So last night I tried them, the first time my arms bent and I crumpled to the floor, but after a few more tries I started to get it.

What are handstand props? Right now I am working on front limber back walkover to help with my back handsprings because my arms tend to crumple and it turns into a back headspring.

What are handstand props?

I think 'prop' is another name for 'block'. You go into a handstand and immediately push off the floor using your shoulders, it feels like a little jump.

"Block: The term "block" in gymnastics is typically used to describe a rapid rebounding off of the floor or aparatus with the arms. The block comes from the shoulders exploding towards extension".

We do those in my class every week and I'm slowly getting the hang of them. I couldn't block at all for weeks at first.

I sadly couldn't go to gymnastics this week because last time I was there I re-pulled a muscle in my arm (i think my deltoid?) and decided it needed an extra week off. Instead I've been doing a lot of conditioning and stretching on my own this week including press headstands, lots of handstands against a wall, push-ups, v-ups, leg raises, squat, hollow rocks, arch ups, rock to candlestick, bridges/backbends, plus whatever else I could think of. My legs felt like jello when I got out of bed this morning!

Have not been to class in two weeks because of my graduation ceremony. Strangely enough, this morning during class when we were told to get into a bridge. I got up into it and managed to start rocking back and forth. Previously, I had trouble staying in it and today I could actually straighten my arms! I don't know what's going on! :)

My cartwheels are slightly straighter now and I managed to hold a handstand for awhile.

Today I did two pullovers on the highbar and started working swings....which I don't really understand, but it was fun! I also can no longer do a front handspring or front tuck as previously we had been learning to twist and now instead of going forward I twist :( anyone know any drills to help me straighten out?

Good job Andro!!!!! Elite, make sure you are keeping your hips and shoulders in alignment. WHen you twist, obviously you are not straight. Also on your FHS make sure that your hands are straight on the ground as well.

I finally got my back handspring on the tramp again. I had it about a year ago, lost it, and gave up working it when I kept landing on my face. Yay!

Congrats on the BHS!

I got my first ever rip last night (not sure that's really an accomplishment). I was practising back hip circles, I had them going quite well last week but last night sadly I wasn't getting them as well. I did manage a few okay-ish ones.

It is frustrating when skills come and go - early this year I could do about 6 circle-ups in a row, for the past few months I've hardly been able to manage one, I don't know why my circle-up has gone on a long holiday.

I did some more handstand props and then the coach moved me to doing handstand flatbacks off the end of the tumble-track, and then handstand props to flatback off the end of the tumble-track. It was a lot of fun.

Don't get frustrated Nicki it will come back! Sometimes your brain just takes awhile to click with your body.

Tonight my coach had me forfeit all front tumbling as I have consistently twisted my way out of front handsprings and tucks however when we worked back tumbling I got my first ever back handspring off the tumble trak onto a mat in the pit!

Elite- nice job! I have the opposite problem where I started twisting my back tumbling and need to figure out how to go straight.

Tonight I went back to gymnastics for the first time in a few weeks after pulling my left deltoid and my shoulder feels great! I just worked front tumbling and started to get my fhs off of the tumble track onto the mat (i'm landing on my feet, but fall back on my butt). I'm kind of scared to work back tumbling because that's how I hurt my arm :(. I used to love bhs and now I'm scared to do them. I'm envious of all those little gymnasts who seem to have no fear.

Liseybeast- I know what you mean it's amazing how they can just throw themselves in the air and land safely. Congrats on your front tumbling I miss being comfortable going forward. When I first started doing bhs with a spot I always twisted to the left. They had me work front limber back walkover for awhile and that seems to have solved my back twisting problem.

we have an exhibition power tumbling meet today at agt flip city. i love this gym. they are so accommodating to the adult gymnasts and encourage us to compete.
my tumbling still hasn't recovered from when i hurt my wrist. my coach had me do a set of six standing bhs on the rod floor...ha..the first day, they were each like standing bhs and the last one i just lowered myself to my stomach. so i've been working on those and they have been getting a little better, but then my quads want to cramp up.

the exhibition was a lot of fun and i finished all of my passes: some on my feet and others on my derrière!
tonight's practice went well. bar routines finally felt a little easier. i did a round off back tuck off beam. i would love to have that dismount back consistently.

glad you had fun and finished all your passes, even if you landed on your tush sometimes lol. I would love to get a cartwheel back tuck dismount when I get back into things....right now I only do a roundoff dismount. Geez i cant WAIT to be back, December feels so far away(that is when I realistically expect to be back fully lol)

Congrats!

I still haven't made any progress on my bhs... I can't break my habit of turning my head. My coach was disappointed with my progress tonight. I started a thread in the skills and drills section if anyone has advice for me! We worked on jumps on and round offs on the tumble track which was lots of fun! We almost never do that. Oh, and I was able to get my legs straight in my bridge tonight!

Congrats, you guys! I've been on holiday for the past week. I did try to do a few conditioning exercises while away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back