This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach had me on bars this week because I told him I wanted to get my kip before the end of the year when I leave the gym :(. He had me swing from a block below and up...it's apparently to train the most difficult part of the kip, which is the part where the gymnasts folds the legs in and pushes up. I haven't done the leg part yet, it's just so that I can be strong enough to push upwards and I evidently wasn't. :( Sprained my neck area a little trying it so he brought the block a little nearer to me lol. My palms were stinging by the end of it. :S I still can rock in my bridge! Next up, legs straight in a bridge!

Bars sound hard! I can't wait to start learning bars, but I definitely know I probably lack a lot of arm strength. Good luck!

I was able to get my legs straight in a bridge by just doing bridges all the time. I only go to gym once a week, but probably work on conditioning, stretching, and handstands 4-5 times a week at home and I finally was able to get my legs straight last time I was at the gym :) now to conquering a backbend...

Since I was struggling with the squat on I tried a straddle on last night and made that after a few tries. I had it pretty consistently by the end of the night. I figure I'll work on moving my legs closer to hands, although they're pretty close right now, and then give the squat on another shot. But at least now I can easily get to the high bar. I hoping for my high bar kip before the end of the week.

I had a good night last night. Didn't work on anything new, did a lot of basics on floor like handstands, cartwheels, round-offs and backward rolls to front support. Since I don't have a coach most of the time and it is hard to know how to improve, I was spending a lot of time on each thing, kind of playing around trying things out to see what worked and what didn't. I do feel like I am improving (slowly!)

I tried a few forward rolls on the beam but not much luck there. The coach is a guy so I don't think he'll be much help on beam stuff. I had also been working on half-turn on one foot on the beam quite a lot a while back - I tried those again last night and they seem to be coming much more easily now, so perhaps all that work paid off! I'm not sure if I'm doing them exactly right, but at least I feel more confident with them now (and can turn without falling off!).

Nicki- not having a coach most of the time must be difficult. I'd be so lost on how to improve! Sounds like you're handling it well, though! I like being able to take it slow and work on basics sometimes. Good luck on teaching yourself beam!

Backbends!

Falling into them from handstand (like a front limber, but without standing up after). Then going into them backwards, from standing. I did them onto the thick 12-inch crash mat first, then onto the small mat - 2 or 3 inches thick. Didn't quite get round to doing them straight onto the floor, but the small mat was close enough for me. :D

I mean they're not pretty, my legs are about a million miles apart, but it's a start, right?

Next week - bridge kickovers!

Sounds great! I'm working towards that by trying to improve my bridge, and walking my hands down the wall ladder. I feel like my back and shoulder flexibility is slowly improving, so I'm hoping I'll get there one day if I keep at it.

Working Yurchenkos for vault. I love them. I was a little nervous about doing my roundoff onto the springboard but I'm really liking them now. I did a really good one today, although right now I'm just doing the backhandspring onto a big blue matt and pushing off into the pit its still pretty exciting to be working on them for the first time ever. Also did frontwalkovers on beam today. Very scary but I'm glad I did it anyway. I finally got my rdo bhs layout today on floor as well. Overall great day on everything but bars. Got stuck doing my layout dismount and wasn't doing too well but everything else makes up for that today

I do NOT want to learn a yurkencho. They scare the crap out of me. I'm more of a from entry girl lol. I like seeing the table in front of me! Glad they're going well!

I did a handstand(two actually) for the first time since surgery in July!!! Granted they were only against the wall but even still, it felt awesome to do just that. Hopefully will be able to get started back by next month, though reality tells me I will probably have to wait until December or so

I made my kip on the high bar tonight. I'm starting to understand the difference in timing a little better. I didn't try any squat-ons tonight but the straddle-on is consistent and way easier than having to climb onto the bar.

I'm stilling working standing back tucks and standing back handsprings. I have both on the tramp and can do the back tuck on the tumbletrak if someone holds onto the side of my t-shirt.

teena - great job on the kip, i think that is one of the hardest skills to learn.
bars finally feels easier. about a year ago, i was working on connecting my bar routine. i would be so tired and barely make one, now i can do three or four per practice. working on a cut-catch and still working on my cast handstand. seriously, it has been a goal for two years. i had it back for about two weeks, then i hurts my wrist. now i'm in the perfect position and my arms collapse!

I managed to do one glide swing where I could pike back when I swung back! My legs normally collapse into a tuck when I swing back but just that once, I managed to keep it relatively in pike. ;) I still can't get up to front support with that drill where you swing with straight arms on the low bar, feet on a block and you swing upwards - it's apparently to train the arm muscles to get stronger for the hardest part of the kip. SIGH. Had a tiny rip but that was nothing compared to the red one I had before ^_^.

Tonight I worked front handsprings for awhile. Whenever I hear the words "this is your last one" I always do a really good last one. This week after I did my last one my coach said it was my most powerful yet and preceded to say, "Why are being so timid. Go get it girl!" it made me laugh :).

I'm still twisting my back handsprings. I do them perfectly over the barrel though so they try and get me to do them on a cheese mat with a spot. My coach said because I'm scared to do them now I've created a mental block. He said if there's the same group next week as tonight we'll start with back handsprings and work them for awhile. Both coaches have been working with me to try and break the habit so maybe next week will be my lucky week...?

For some reason, today my standing back tucks were so sloppy. They are usually nice...they are also my favorite tumbling skill. Punch fronts are getting better on the floor. I got to work round off tucks on a line today for beam dismount...not too bad there. Oh, I also did "toe backs" (toe touch back tucks) just for fun. I was a cheerleader when I was younger, so it was good to do those again. :) I'm a bit jealous of all you guys getting to work bars...still haven't really found a gym to let me do that yet though.

I second being jealous of everyone who gets to do bars. I'm absolutely dying to try beam, though! Maybe it's the dancer in me, but beam looks like such a fun challenge!

We did a bit of work on bars today - but I still can't even do the upward circle/pullover/whatever else you want to call it, so it's really frustrating! Without being able to get to front support, I can't start learning back hip circles or anything else.

Then floor - I had to show my forward roll to the whole class, because apparently it was 'perfect'. Well, at least that's one skill I can do! ;) Even if my cartwheels are still all over the place.

Got my standing backbend on the floor too. Small victories! I daren't try kicking over, though...I'm too scared of landing on my head.

I may have accidentally volunteered for the gym Christmas display, anyway...well when I say 'volunteered', I mean I didn't get out of the way quick enough when they asked if anyone was interested! So that's a bit of pressure to improve!

hopefully if your coaches see you doing well on the other events they will let you do bars. maybe you can meet with the owner and ask. if i go for a week without bars, i literally have dreams that i'm swinging giants.

Terpsikhore - there is nothing like a event to make you work harder! i love meets for this reason. otherwise i'd be a little lazy and put off floor routines forever.

i go through phases in what skills i want back. i'll work on something for a couple of practices and usually abandon it because it doesn't feel like it used to. right now i want my round off full off beam and my cut-catch on a bars. i had to start at the beginning for the ro off beam. they were really quite scary. then my coach told me to stay tight. well imagine that - gymnastics is easier when you squeeze your body! last night i did a ro layout off beam - first time in 17 years. i did pike it down a little, but i actually feel like i stand a chance at getting this skill back.

We did a bit of work on bars today - but I still can't even do the upward circle/pullover/whatever else you want to call it, so it's really frustrating!

It is very frustrating, I had my circle up going great at the beginning of the year, but this year it has got worse and now I can hardly do one. I have no idea why it has decided to go on an extended vacation.

Got my standing backbend on the floor too. Small victories!

Congrats - I think that's a big victory! I'd love to be able to do a back bend. I'm still working on walking my hands down the wall ladder. My back flexibility is slowly improving over time, maybe I'll get to a backbend one day...

well imagine that - gymnastics is easier when you squeeze your body!

This is something I've really just started to learn lately!

This is something I've really just started to learn lately!

And something my coach constantly says during class when he has me in handstand even though I can't hold it by myself yet. I kick up into it and he holds my legs then he legs go and only brings it back when I go off. Hahaha. And all the time he's like, "Squeeze your tummy! Squeeze your tummy!"

Cartwheels are getting better. Today, he had us doing it off a floor beam. I was completely terrified at first. Couldn't do it the first few...then I decided, "Ah heck it!" Then I just didn't think and went for it and I did it a whole lot better hahaha!!

Also did bars today. Did an assisted pullover and back hip circle. I'm no longer afraid of that, which is weird! I used to be really afraid of it! :) Worked glide swings and he also had us jumping onto the high bar from a cheese wedge for glide swings haha! My palms are getting so rough!

You have to squeeze your butt too! My cartwheels are getting better too. I've recently started to think about moving forward through the cartwheel instead of down (the dropping your hands down to the ground), it has helped a lot. The cartwheel has better rhythm and flows better. I tried another back hip circle the other night and surprisingly did a really good one right off the bat. I'm also finding it is getting a little less scary!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back