This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach was trying to get me to squeeze my butt tonight while doing back handspring drills... i'm still working on the super tight body.

Tonight he also decided to point out to half the class that was with him for back handsprings how badly I was shaking because I'm so afraid of them :(. I'm also a really good example he likes to use of what happens when you turn your head. He then did a super slow motion back handspring with me where he supported my body which was helpful. I'm determined to get over my fear... my body just doesn't want to listen.

My standing back tucks are getting much better. Finally getting some height. I started working RO-BHS again.

On bars my straddle-ons are hit and miss. When I don't think about it and focus more on the high bar kip I'm about to go for I make it nearly every time. When I concentrate on leaning over the bar I don't get quite far enough over. I've also found myself a new bars coach somehow. A 9-year-old level 6. She's super cute and coached by my old coach. I'm usually doing bars while they are there. She gives me tips on getting my high bar kip (mainly lean over the bar) and I pressure her to do her flyaway like she's supposed to.

We learnt the floor routine tonight that we're going to be doing at the Christmas display... it's corny and daft, but I like it! Although I do need to get a one-handed cartwheel in the next 6 weeks (if I can't manage it I'll just have to do a regular cartwheel, but I don't want to be the odd one out), and also make my handstand-forward roll into less of a handstand-flop.

We did a bit of work on punch-fronts onto a mat in the pit too. I'm much closer to landing them, but by the time we did them it was 9.30pm and I hadn't eaten since lunchtime. I was practically staggering down the tumble trak and falling off the end!

The display sounds like fun, I'd love to be in a display group! I've never tried a one-handed cartwheel, too nervous to try it! Which hand do you use and which do you leave out?

This week I started putting together my routines for Masters Games in Feb. I'm using the same routines as I did in Feb this year and just modifying them slightly by adding a few new skills. Getting through a whole floor routine is quite hard! Haven't tried it with the music yet either.

Nerves are definitely a problem with the one-handed cartwheel! I keep chickening out and putting the other hand down. You put your first hand down, but keep your second hand down by your side. I'm trying to learn at the minute with my second hand up by my shoulder though, so if something goes wrong I can put it down quickly to save myself falling on my head.

May I ask what the Masters Games are? Putting together routines is always fun.

Finally got my giants on strap bar from tap swings by myself. It took 6 different tries and a lot of encouragement from my coach & teammates but I'm so happy I finally did a few. I'm ready to try again next practice and hopefully get a few more in a row. Also on thursday I finally did my two backwalkovers in a row on high beam and backwalkover tuck dismount, unfortunately it did not go so well today. Hopefully I'll be back on track on tuesday.

Nerves are definitely a problem with the one-handed cartwheel! I keep chickening out and putting the other hand down. You put your first hand down, but keep your second hand down by your side. I'm trying to learn at the minute with my second hand up by my shoulder though, so if something goes wrong I can put it down quickly to save myself falling on my head.

When new people in class are learning one handed cartwheels the coaches have them put their second hand right on top of their first hand when they do their cartwheel as a drill to get to a one handed cartwheel. You could try and see if it helps... It also helps me to go into it like I'm doing a dive cartwheel.

The display sounds like so much fun! I miss performing.

I didn't get to go to gym this week, but next week I'm thinking about trying another gym in my area just to see what it's like. I probably wouldn't go there too often if I do end up liking it because it's more expensive ($26 a class :(), but the time works, it's a little closer, and I'm curious to see what the coaching is like and how many people go there.

May I ask what the Masters Games are?

It is a sports festival held here once a year for 'older people'. Minimum age for gymnastics is 20, but for most other sports it is 30 or 35. Some of the sports are quite serious, others are more for fun. The gymnastics competition has a novice section and an advanced section. I competed for the first time in Feb this year in the novice section. There are no other adult gymnastics competitions over here, so Masters is it. It gives me a challenge and something to train for.

When new people in class are learning one handed cartwheels the coaches have them put their second hand right on top of their first hand when they do their cartwheel as a drill to get to a one handed cartwheel. You could try and see if it helps... It also helps me to go into it like I'm doing a dive cartwheel.

I might try that drill! I don't know what a dive cartwheel is, but it sounds hard.

I had a good session at the gym tonight. My circle up came back! I think what helped it was I tried thinking of my feet coming over the bar, like I do with the back hip circle, instead of just going up.

I did some more back hip circles, they are coming a little more easily now, and I'm trying to get my body straighter, so I'm less piked going around the bar.

It is a sports festival held here once a year for 'older people'. Minimum age for gymnastics is 20, but for most other sports it is 30 or 35. Some of the sports are quite serious, others are more for fun. The gymnastics competition has a novice section and an advanced section. I competed for the first time in Feb this year in the novice section. There are no other adult gymnastics competitions over here, so Masters is it.

Sounds fun! We have the British Gymnastics Veterans competition (which has 3 divisions - Beginner, Recreational and Former, or something along those lines) each year, but my gym doesn't attend. I'm considering just going by myself next year! I'd love to compete.

I might try that drill! I don't know what a dive cartwheel is, but it sounds hard.

I believe it's where your feet leave the floor before your hands touch the ground. I'll also be trying the 'one hand on top of the other' drill, thanks liseybeast!

And congrats on refinding your circle up!

I'm getting closer to doing good cartwheels now! It was more upright now! Strangely enough, it was the advice of one of my classmates that helped me. My previous problem was that I was lunging far forward enough. Once I did (took a larger step than normal), my hands went down quite automatically and it wasn't down together, it was one after the other and I landed quite straight! I was quite happy!! Then it went downhill when coach had us do a hurdle than cartwheel. :p

Do you represent your country when you compete for Masters games or just your club? How often do you have to train to be in the Masters games? Where is it held?

Do you represent your country when you compete for Masters games or just your club? How often do you have to train to be in the Masters games? Where is it held?

Our one is just held in New Zealand, I think they also have them in Australia though. I don't know what other countries hold them, if any. You don't have to represent anyone, although you can form teams so your team could represent your club if you wanted.

Good job on the cartwheels! My cartwheels improved recently too, for a similar reason. Instead of thinking about my hands moving down towards the ground, I think about moving forwards, i.e the direction the cartwheel is moving in. All of a sudden my timing improved and the whole thing felt lighter, with more energy.

Good job on the cartwheels! My cartwheels improved recently too, for a similar reason. Instead of thinking about my hands moving down towards the ground, I think about moving forwards, i.e the direction the cartwheel is moving in. All of a sudden my timing improved and the whole thing felt lighter, with more energy.

I know, right? The last few times I did a correct one, I actually felt weightless when my legs were in the air so I have to strive to replicate that feeling over and over again! :) Well done on yours too!!!

I did some layouts on the tramp without the belt or a spot yesterday. Now if I could just get my standing BHS and my RO-BHS on the TT without a spot...

We did a bit of beam work, trying to do cartwheels on the beam and roundoffs off the end. The problem I have with these is the mental block...I can do a cartwheel on a line on the floor, no problem, but as soon as I stand on the floor beam I completely freak out and can't get my legs up at all. I just put my hands down and flop sideways! I don't think there's really anything else to do apart from grit my teeth and force myself to get on with it.

In the last 5 minutes I did bridges, walked my feet up a wall and tried to kick over, but no success. I think I need to get my hands closer to my feet, but that makes it really difficult to walk up the wall.

All in all tonight was a bit frustrating - I don't really feel like I improved at anything, and I'm annoyed at myself for being such a wimp on beam! Never mind, we all have our ups and downs.

Last Sunday, I got my standing back tuck alone on the floor and it's actually pretty...so far. Now, on to adding a shushunova to it or something creative like that ;). Still working on several other things but really getting frustrated with front walkovers!! UGH! They are definitely not as easy as they were when I was a kid!

We did a bit of beam work, trying to do cartwheels on the beam and roundoffs off the end. The problem I have with these is the mental block...I can do a cartwheel on a line on the floor, no problem, but as soon as I stand on the floor beam I completely freak out and can't get my legs up at all. I just put my hands down and flop sideways! I don't think there's really anything else to do apart from grit my teeth and force myself to get on with it.

In the last 5 minutes I did bridges, walked my feet up a wall and tried to kick over, but no success. I think I need to get my hands closer to my feet, but that makes it really difficult to walk up the wall.

All in all tonight was a bit frustrating - I don't really feel like I improved at anything, and I'm annoyed at myself for being such a wimp on beam! Never mind, we all have our ups and downs.

It happened to all the adults in my class, including me! The first time I had to do a cartwheel off a floor beam, I couldn't do it at all!!! Even now, I can cartwheel better on the floor than on the beam haha. The adage in gymnastics is true - Just don't think about it, JUST DO IT! :)

I'd like to try a cartwheel on the beam sometime! It does sound scary, though.

I had a good night tonight. I connected my back hip circle and underswing for the first time. Also improved my round-off dismount on beam - I got my arms straight and my body less piked. I think my round-offs on floor are also improving. Even my leaps on floor feel a little better. I feel like I'm getting a little bit more power into some things now, or at least they feel less wimpy!

Today was good fun! I'm starting to train twice a week, on the advice of my main coach there. And I have so many lessons to make up anyway. My coach today was a former Chinese Olympian and she's really good! She actually managed to get me to overcome my fear of a front tuck on a tramp! When I was back in Oz, my coach had me do a front tuck on the tramp without telling me actually how to do it. I landed offside and on my neck and sprained that and my left shoulder. Since then, I think I've developed abit of a fear.

Today, she was asking me about it and she seemed surprised the main coach has never had me do a front tuck so I told her about it. She then proceeded to teach me the body position first (chin tucked down, legs tucked in, bum UP! hehehe and hands to your knees) then she got me to do it whilst saying, "Just do it, I'll be here to catch you. But you must jump! If you don't jump, you won't go over." And I just did it. Just like that! I felt so good!!! :D WHEEEE.

I'm still having trouble with my roundoff off a block though, I go up straight but somehow in midair when my legs are supposed to come together, they don't and they go down sideways, placing an enormous strain on my left knee. :( Anyone have tips for this?

I need to work on my round offs too. I sometime don't go straight up, but instead go into a diagonal body position. I think it happens because I'm thinking about getting my body around. My shoulders and arms are getting a lot stronger from doing handstands at home all the time, so I'm hoping that helps with blocking.

I skipped gymnastics this week and went to ballet instead :). I felt like I needed a break from my bhs issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back