This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's great about the splits. I found I had trouble walking on Friday, but I'm all good today. Can't wait to go back on Thursday. We only have to have a short break over Christmas because we'll be allowed to use the gym to train for masters games at the end of January. Normally the gym is closed for all but competitive classes til the end of Jan since its summer holidays.
On Friday I sat my Grade 2 badge, which is very very easy, but I did it because the kids I coach were doing it. I got 3 10s and 3 9.5s for the six routines (two floor, two vault, one bar and one beam). Good to see I can do the basics well.
Hope everyone else is having fun in the gym.:)

Sounds like everyone is doing well in the gym.
Congrats on the splits GeoffryTaucer. I only have my right split really good. My left one is almost there, and well , I don't even bother with the middle split b/c it would just be an awful sight:eek:.
I won't be back in the gym until Jan. Unfortunately between the holidays & my crazy work schedule for December, Saturdays are pretty much taken. And just when I had gotten brave enough to do BHS on the floor.

i think all of us are going to be hurting after the holidays and lack of a regular gymnastics schedule. i didn't work out last week. i stretched with my tuesday class and i couldn't get my knees together in a bridge! i felt it stretching all of my stomach muscles, a lot.
are the holidays over yet, so i can go back to gymnastics and stop working so hard?

I've not posted in this thread for a while.

While stretching with my girlies I got all 3 splits flat, something I've not done since I was competing (straddles were always a battle, left and right were never too hard). And I did a freehip while demonstrating too. Woohoo (bars were always my worst).

Actually in my class? My front tucks finally look like front tucks again, and it's starting to look like Ive got a chance at doing FHS front tuck again sometime soon.

Congrats on the splits. All three ways is fantastic. I surprised myself (and everyone else) yesterday and got left splits (all the way down). I was helping run an in-house course and was demo-ing one of the routines. Funny thing was, it was almost comfortable. I was even more surprised that I can walk today. Yay.

What are everyone's goals for next year?

I'd like to get flyway and glide kip on bars, ROBHS and FHS front tuck on floor, FHS vault, and a decent handstand on beam - I can do a cartwheel, but man handstands are scary.:rolleyes:

Well THAT was unexpected.

Weird how being old changes things.

I was never a twister. never ever.

So what do I do yesterday? A layout full. I'd not even thought about trying one. I was thinking about thinking about a half, and a full kind of happened. Awesome.

Breakdance moves: not going so well. But flying is fun.

I was just reading everyone's accomplishments you posted last year. It was really encouraging to read them I think we should start reporting them again this year. Sometimes its hard to be an adult gymnast in a sport dominated by little kids. It was funny. I was struggling working on cast handstands today and I look over and there's this little girl about 6 years old doing some cast handstands like its nothing. I think being older does have some advantages though. Like coachgoofy said sometimes you get better at things you were bad at as a kid (congrats on the full, I struggle with twisting myself).
Anyway, I'll add my accomplishment for this week. I did a handstand and held it for about 10seconds before I straddled down. I also did my free hip kip on bars for the first time in awhile. I hope the rest of join me and start adding your accomplishments each week.:D

I did BHS BHS on the high beam on Monday for the first time in 2.5 years, and I also competed it this weekend (fell, but I hadn't competed it for almost 3 years). Yay!

Congrats on the accomplishments everyone! Since I am still only a couple months in, my accomplishments aren't awe inspiring(yet), I have moved my beam cartwheel onto the middle beam, and though I landed it only once, I still moved on up. Almost got myself into a full vertical on my english handstand. I managed to get over my fear of falling on my face when doing a handstand on the floor, and can pretty consistenly hold it for a few seconds :D. Now if I can only get my pullover and back hip circles!

I thought I really didn't like beam anymore and at first decided I wasn't going to try and compete it anymore but now that I've gotten back into it I'm starting to like it again and realize I'm better at it then when I was younger. I think its because I've learned to be tighter in my skills. I actually did my jumps, full turn & backwalkover on the high beam without falling off and was able to do my punch front off and land on my feet so I was pretty satisfied on Saturday. Oh, I also did my punch front on the floor with a spot, but not too heavy (at least I don't think so).

Congrats on conquering your beam fear Kylie! This week I started working on PROPERLY learning my front tuck (did it on the tumble track, and TOTALLY over rotated, kind of surprised I didn't land on my head!), getting closer and closer to doing my fhs and bhs without the rollie-mat thing. And got an awesome compliment from my coach on how much I have improved since I started (think it was the week before Thanksgiving I started). I could probably go on and on, but I am not going to, I will spare you guys lol!:cool:

This week I was doing a good job with my front handsprings. I also did an almost decent spotted back handspring down the big ol' cheese mat.

Nothing really big this week, but I am sick so that contributes!

~Katy

I was so excited that I finally did my roundoff bhs back full off the tumbletrack again. Between struggling with a pulled muscle in my leg that makes roundoffs difficult and overthinking the full it seemed like a huge accomplishment. I just hope I can keep it up and eventually bring it to the floor when my leg is completely healed.

You will be able to maintain it Kylie, just keep it easy with your leg, don't want to have your progress take longer! I finally fully understood how to "drive my heals forward" yesterday, though my back and neck are a little sore, so hopefully my FHS will progress a lot quicker now. Still can't get that stupid pullover, can't seem to get strong enough for it, GRRRR. And I have to learn to be more patient when working on my BHS lol. I did however, start to learn to control my casts, so hopefully I will be able to start getting them higher and closer to verticle now!

Yesterday at open gym, for the first time in my gymnastics career, was able to cast over the bar from support. I have done it from a kip, but it is not consistent, and since cutting back my gymnastics hours down from team could not cast as well. I was afraid of this skill also because have collapsed on the bar a few times, one time resulting in a hyperextended elbow when I fell to the mat. I worked with a new coach who had me work it over the pit and spotted until I felt comfortable. I am just kind of 'dumping it' right now but she said I can build up to straightening it out. I have giants and all that, but without a consistent cast, my whole bar routine is very iffy, so I am so happy that at 27 I can still break new ground in my gymnastics!! That was one of those skills I had pretty much resigned myself to never being able to do. I am very long, and things like casts are challenging.

i can't wait to get back into the gym. i have been so busy, that i haven't done anything in over a month. when i coach and show the girls skills, i wish i had an hour to stay afterwards and play. everyone's post really motivate me to get into the gym, and remind me that it has been way to long since i've been on bars.

Well, I did a BHC last night, my first one, of course my coach was helping me lol. But I did one none the less. Can't say I accomplished anything amazing so far this week, but I did have a good workout last night, minus my shoulder giving out on beam when I was trying to do a handstand, and I almost found out what a beam tastes like :DI guess that could be an accomplishment, huh? To not find out what the beam tastes like

It tastes pretty bad, with all those feet on it all day. Straddling it is the funnest, though.

EEEWWW dirty sweaty feet. Yes, I am looking forward towards my first straddle of the beam (can you SEE my sentence dripping with sarcasm?) Good job on the roundoff BHS Kgym!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back