This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What conditioning are you doing? I am a slacker and can't bring myself to condition like I should. I know it would really help. I just don't know where to start.

I vary my conditioning quite a bit, but here's a typical list:
25 v-ups
25 flutter kick v-ups, both legs (like a v-up, but you only lift one leg, then go back to a hollow, then lift the other leg)
10 chin-up levers (chin-up, swing body to lever, back to chin-up)
20 push-ups elbows out
20 push-ups elbows in
20 reverse push-ups (tricep dips)
2 passes jumping lunges (instead of kicking into a lunge, you jump... arm position can be wherever... I like to hold things above my head or hold my arms straight down by my sides)
20 reverse kicks off the table (lay on stomach, legs hang off the end, kick legs up at least to horizontal)

i try to do two different conditioning from each category - arms, legs, stomach, and back.
i found it easiest to write out a list to take with you and then you don't have to think about it when your tired. i have a couple of list that i chose from. they all end with over splits!

my gym has the bucket of love. there are fifty folded pieces of paper with different conditioning. we normally pick 5 to 10. that is what we did yesterday.

this week all if have accomplished is stretching and conditioning. i don't think i even when upside down yesterday. i don't want to push my ankle, and i know that if i try something, i'll want to do more.

I finally got my front handspring, at least on the tumble track. Which is still an improvement over the hundreds of times I've landed on my butt trying to do them in the last few months. Turns out I was coming into it too high, sort of hitting my hands as I was falling to the ground, and naturally unable to reverse momentum to get back up and land the right way. My butt wishes someone had noticed it sooner!

That's great Kate! I was doing FHS today too, I was doing them on the floor onto a cushy mat for the most part and actually standing them up! I can't do them on the tumbl trak though LOL I don't get enough block from there, I need something firm to push off of!

~Katy

No gym for me today. I'm stuck working the whole weekend :(
I agree about the tumble track, it's very hard to get a good block off of it. We never had one back in the day, we just did everything the old fashion way. I think that is another reason I find front elements so hard.

this thursday i got the ok from my dr. for the ankle. tried ro bhs tuck and layouts on tumble track. it is amazing how i can loose skills in three months of no tumbling. the brain wants to do it, but the body doesn't have the strength. i have been conditioning 3 to 4 times a week, but it is not the same as working on skills.

I only tumble anymore, except when I have to show my students something.

This was my first week taking adult class after a year and a half of forced retirement. I can still do a robhs, robhs tuck, fhs, and an aerial. I didn't die, and that's good enough for me.

Next week? Layouts, here I come.

Thats fantastic!!! Just like riding a bike ;) Well done!!!

This week most of the gym was being used (I hate how we have to share the gym with like, everyone, and they all get priority. ugh.) so we did vault. We mostly were just jumping off the springboard to the table, and off, but my last turn our coach put the table lower and I got to try a front handspring vault! I didn't do great (didn't land it well LOL) but I made it over the table! It's the first time I vaulted on the table, when I did gymnastics we were still using the horse!

~Katy

good job on your fronthandsping. i too vaulted on a horse. i still remember the first time i tried a table. it was so scary. i didn't even make it over on my first try! now i love it and i don't know how we used to vault on a horse, but i haven't been able to vault in over three months.
this week i did my full on tumble track. it was horrible and i bent my knees. i can't wait to get back into the tumbling. the more i do it, the more powerful the tumbling becomes.
i also tried my front fulls on tumble track......i landed all of them on my derriere!

A while back we ended up on vault, since it was actually free, and while we were mostly just trying to do straight jumps on (off this thing that's looks like the offspring of a springboard and a rebounder), some people were doing front handsprings with mats stacked up behind it. I wouldn't try them without a mat actually *on* the back part of the table, knew I would bang my head on it (saw someone else do it, too), and did, since it ended up more like a dive roll the first try. Got a bit better, but still would have hit the table without the mat. Those things are *big*!

Last week I was trying squat ons with an actual springboard, ended up ramming my knee almost into my armpit...ahh, the bruises we have to explain! Got to the point where I had enough momentum that it was difficult to stop at a squat and not proceed to faceplant on the mats. It's such an undelicate sport when I do it!

For the vault table I make sure I reach my hands really far back, cause I know I have like NO block off the horse right now so it's more of a handstand flop! if I didn't put my hands way towards the back, I'd hit my back and that would just scare the crud outta me.

~Katy

i tried a squat on for vault. i just wanted to see how the ankle felt when i hit the board. each one i ran a little harder and hit the board a little harder. felt pretty good. i did two aerials on floor. a lot of pressure, but i knew to stop after two. maybe next week i'll try a round off!

Got pretty decent stride circles (my front leg mega-twists to the left, not sure why), solid back hip circles (working on making them more clear-hip like), and technically there front hip circles (I make it over.. but end up on my stomach).

Also beginning some kip work. Very decent glide, I think, and I can pull my feet to the bar at what feels like the right time- just not sure what to do after that, when my feet fall. Damn gravity.

rotate your wrist and bring your shoulders and head forward by piking your upper body forward. i even tell my girls to muscle it up and we will work on the form later.

sounds like everyone is making great progress :). I can't wait to get back in the gym properly. I've got handspring tuck front on tumble track and my goal is to get it on floor, which will take heaps. Also want to work on glide kip, but I'm going to need some tummy muscle strength before I get that far.

I haven't done much more over a vaulting table other than jumping on. Theoretically I could handsrping over it cos I used to do it over a long horse when I was younger (I did old school gymnastics - and no I'm not that old).:)

well, I went to gym tonight for the first time in a year, and /i will be sore tomorrow, BUT I did a cartwheel on a medium height beam, punch front on floor, RO BHS on tumble track (which is big for me cos I hate going backwards), cast to straddle on low bar jump to catch high bar, and I almost have my left split. Oooh and I got a rip on each hand from swinging on the bar over the pit. So, I guess I'm happy :) How's everyone else going?

Can't wait to get back to the gym. I was off a week, then team girls had pictures so most of the equipment was blocked, then I worked another weekend and didn't get to go. I feel like I'm going to have to start over.

Yesterday, for the first time in my 17+ years as a gymnast, I got my best split (left leg) low enough that my calf was touching the floor.

(Funny that my splits are getting better now, when they nave no value, though I never came close during the four years when I had a split in my floor routine)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back