Thoughts on Nastia?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you guys think Nastia's going to start competing again?

I feel like she still has a lot of potential, but when the reporter asked her if she thought she would come back and train for the olympics... she sort of kept blowing off the question. She said she could lean either way and that she had the "fire" inside her watching her 2008 teammates compete...but do you think she's going to come back?

Give me your thoughts :)

I can definitely see why ASac is coming back, and I can sort of understand why Shawn's back, but Nastia has no reason to. As much as she loves the sport, she got what she wanted. She won the all around gold at the olympics, and that's the absolute best she could have hoped for! So, no, I don't think she's coming back.

There is something to be said for going out on top. So many athletes attempt comebacks and end up leaving the sport as a joke instead of a champion (Michael Jordan and the Wizards/MLB fiascos come to mind here). In my mind an attempted comeback by Nastia would tarnish her legacy. She needs to take some Pepto for that fire in the belly she said she's having and let it go.

Once a gymnast, always a gymnast.

Shes always going to have that "fire" much as all retired gymnasts do, but frankly she is done. She was a lovely gymnast and will continue to be involved in gymnastics i have no doubt, i believe she is just having trouble accepting the fact that, that part of her life is over. I'm sure she will make a fine coach someday though.

I think its natural for her to have that "fire" during the National Championships, her teammates are out there and she is on the sidelines. I liken it to when I hold my friends newborn and I get that "oh I want another one" feeling, but I know I really don't want to do that again :). I think she did a good job of redirecting the conversation because Andrea Joyce was really pushing her in a direction she didn't want to go.

I don't think she will be back either--at least competing. She has now moved into a role of being on the selection committee (didn't she say that in the video last night?) and she does some comentating. I agree that she was blowing off the question and didn't really answer. If she has not seriously started training yet, I don't think she will even be ready for worlds. And going out on top is sometimes the best to do.

She's done I'm sure, but why tell a reporter that? That would be like a prime time star giving away the season finale cliffhanger to tmz just for funsies! She went out on top, and she's smart so she'll keep anyone bold enough to ask guessing. As far as her fire goes, how could you be an Olympian and not feel a rush when watching your sport? Doesn't mean she's coming back, means she's human! Media will play it up though and all the better for Nastia to keep herself out there in the public eye :)

Yes, she's done, but I think she would get less publicity/endorsments if she officially retired. But realistically, even if she did drop everything today and try to come back, I don't think she would have enough time to get in competition shape and get her skills back safely by London.

My momentof clarity on this top

My opinion was formed when I was watching her do an interview on "Around the Gym." I can't remember if it was a "pre" or "post" show. I had it recorded since we were in St. Paul. Anyway, she was wearing 5+ inch stillettos. Anyone contemplating an elite comeback would be nuts to risk their knees and ankles for extreme fashion, for that reason alone I think she's not really contemplating it. She was sitting on the couch at the time, though, so maybe she only wore them sitting down.... She's got a pretty good gig going, the young power diva of womens gymnastics. She got more TV time than most of the elite athletes at VISAs (e.g., those who weren't either celebs or in the top 6 all around). She is pretty poised on TV, I think that as well as a gymnastics insider/promoter is where her future lies. Hopefull she'll find her own more modern voice and opinions, and will advocate for the best interests of all women (and in particular children) in the sport, including keeping their bodies healthy.

I think she may quietly work out again in her own gym just for the love of the sport, but I do not think she'll ever compete again. Like others said, she left the sport an olympic gold all around champion, there is no need for her to return to competition, or have to risk injury trying to perform skills she competed 3 years ago as an 18 yr old. Plus, I think she's loving the life in the media!

Anyway, she was wearing 5+ inch stillettos. Anyone contemplating an elite comeback would be nuts to risk their knees and ankles for extreme fashion, for that reason alone I think she's not really contemplating it. She was sitting on the couch at the time, though, so maybe she only wore them sitting down....

Actually, she was wearing them standing up and walking around from some of the pictures I saw, so I would tend to agree with you. However, who really knows. I guess we'll see. I can't see any real personal reason that it would be a good reason to come back, but Team USA is looking a bit weak, so...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back