Parents Thoughts on Visiting Gyms for Training While Out of Town

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wished I had not tried to get my multi year Level 10 gymnast and currently doing D1 college gym into a gym during any of our vacations, or worried about anything gym related. When her coaches very early on told us she had the ability to go elite and then she qualified to TOPs, I felt it was my duty not to waste her talent. All I can say is it really does not make any difference if they don’t do anything while on vacation. Nothing is gained by having our gymnast workout during vacation. What is lost is a missed opportunity to just enjoy their vacation and be kids.
I agree but what I am asking about isn't a vacation. It is a visit to her dad's and I think a little time in the gym may be a fun thing for her while there. I see these two things as very different.

I agree but what I am asking about isn't a vacation. It is a visit to her dad's and I think a little time in the gym may be a fun thing for her while there. I see these two things as very different.
For my daughter the normalcy of gym would be a good thing. However, this is something that you need to discus with her dad, her coaches, and If everyone is on board finally your child.

We don’t do any practice on vacation but when we are visiting family for an extended time, there is a gym that has been a good place for my daughter to go on days she can fit it in. Family plans come first but there is always some down time. It has been a good thing for her, but it depends on what the gymnast wants, if there is a good gym nearby, if their current gym allows it, and for us, age and level of gymnast (we didn’t do it until she was a higher level gymnast). Lots to consider

I used vacation rather loosely. By vacation, that included visits to grandparents, and relatives, not just local and international trips. I qualified vacation as any time away from home, away from daily routine. So yes, it is the same. I have nothing against doing gymnastics while on “vacation“ if your daughter really wants to do it. I don’t know what time with her dad involves. She could be bored. So she might want to do gym.

I’ve been a member here since 2011 (I’ve changed usernames because I didn’t like the ones I first picked) and your question is one of the most common questions asked by parents during the early stages of their children’s gymnastics career. I’ve been there and done that and based on my own experience and what I’ve seen, two weeks away from gym or even a month doesn’t really affect your daughter’s gymnastics skills or strength.

My daughter will be going to visit her dad for about two weeks this summer. I plan to ask her coach about this but was curious to hear your thoughts.
My daughter struggles with anxiety and gymnastics is her comfort. These visits are always tough on her so I wonder if having the opportunity to get in a gym would be helpful.
I reread your original post. I missed the last sentence of your post and misunderstood the reason you wanted her to do gymnastics. I thought you were worried about her gymnastics. My apologies. It sounds then like gym could potentially be a good thing for her during this visit. If that is the case, pick a good gym so she doesn’t get hurt. Perhaps get a gym recommendation from coach and/or find a gym and call the coaches.

You also mentioned anxiety. Would going to a gym knowing no one there cause her more anxiety? But as I indicated, I’d make sure she wants to do it and of course if her dad is ok with it. If that’s clear, I don’t see why not.

I used vacation rather loosely. By vacation, that included visits to grandparents, and relatives, not just local and international trips. I qualified vacation as any time away from home, away from daily routine. So yes, it is the same. I have nothing against doing gymnastics while on “vacation“ if your daughter really wants to do it. I don’t know what time with her dad involves. She could be bored. So she might want to do gym.

I’ve been a member here since 2011 (I’ve changed usernames because I didn’t like the ones I first picked) and your question is one of the most common questions asked by parents during the early stages of their children’s gymnastics career. I’ve been there and done that and based on my own experience and what I’ve seen, two weeks away from gym or even a month doesn’t really affect your daughter’s gymnastics skills or strength.
Interesting, I searched multiple times for words or phrases that I thought would bring up similar posts and found nothing recent. Sorry to bother you with a redundant question, I really tried not to do that.

As I said in my original post, I'm not concerned about her losing skills but just looking for a way to help this trip be a little easier on her.

I reread your original post. I missed the last sentence of your post and misunderstood the reason you wanted her to do gymnastics. I thought you were worried about her gymnastics. My apologies. It sounds then like gym could potentially be a good thing for her during this visit. If that is the case, pick a good gym so she doesn’t get hurt. Perhaps get a gym recommendation from coach and/or find a gym and call the coaches.

You also mentioned anxiety. Would going to a gym knowing no one there cause her more anxiety? But as I indicated, I’d make sure she wants to do it and of course if her dad is ok with it. If that’s clear, I don’t see why not.
Thank you for clarifying this!

So to answer everyone's questions:
1) I have talked to her coach and he fully agrees with me that it may be a kind of "home away from home" thing for her and help her with anxiety and allow her dad to see her in her element. He was fully supportive of the idea of giving her the option and allowing her to decide.
2) Her dad was also fully on board. He even called gyms that I had researched and found out their policies.

We all agreed that the best option was to have it available and offer it to my daughter and if she wants to try then she can and if not then no pressure. The last time we talked about it my daughter was interested in trying but that may change while she is at her dads.

Interesting, I searched multiple times for words or phrases that I thought would bring up similar posts and found nothing recent. Sorry to bother you with a redundant question, I really tried not to do that.
OP, I didn’t mean to imply it was a bother at all; but that it is a common concern. I actually tend to respond to these questions because I have experience in this department. I merely want to impart what I’ve learned because there are many things I wished I had done differently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back